Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As an actual business owner, what would you tell me?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: As an actual business owner, what would you tell me?

This thread is an eye-opener for me since I'm new to the field/craft and want to jump into the business as an entry-level welder. Don't want to derail this thread so I'll start another...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    What do you think is the right thing to do? Sounds to me like that's a pretty good gig.
    There is one guy by us that still does iron rails a lot of them, he is the best, the cheapest and he has nice trucks and equipment. His shop was destroyed by a transformer that exploded outside his shop. He rebuilt and never missed a job. Everyone else is trying to capture the glory which does not exist, they have one truck and welder that sometimes works and sometimes does not. They are not reliable but you can save five dollars a foot, haha.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

I think State Farm even has a "craft owners",,, forget what exactly it is but its for homeowner/sideline types. They might call it craft and artist. Dont use welding or fab in the name,, Billy Blades and sculptures etc.
    Did anyone see that on one of the pawn shows, a guy brought a custom collection in and they wouldnt take them. The owner said, these are super first rate and world class art and what I could offer would be an insult.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to ask your family, they will advise you something

Post Thanks / Like

building rails sound fun! And the real boring, then the big companies finds someone cheaper. I like "one off, custom ****" yeah some times I got no work. Thats when I play with guns a motorcycles.... And then a cool job comes...
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

6. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went out on an adventure yesterday and made a couple calls. I spent some, bought a couple supplies, struck out a couple then stumbled in to a gem. It took me a day to figure it thru but finally had the how as well as the what.