+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody make a decent round soapstone holder???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anybody make a decent round soapstone holder???

I still have remnants. I forgot it in my pockets for a couple years and must have had a quart box or so full, then i bought a whole box which was a good thing. Today a little goes a long way, i still find enough around.
    I use so much less but if i was earlier im my career would buy a box of flat and be done with it. I bought box of 100 Sharpies at one point, need another. I tried round and dont care for it,

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the markall silver streak wooden pencils for a while now and my only complaint is they don’t last long enough and cost too much. If anyone has a place that sells them cheap send me a pm so I can get some more.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer rectangle soapstone. Silver streak too fancy, potentially too many parts, sensitive to heat and water and relatively expensive. I also, do not sharpen to round point, i sharpen a flat edge. Pretty easy to adjust if the cheap holder becomes loose.

Why do folk prefer round?

Post Thanks / Like

I use buy box about every six months.
    My employees most had box's at home.
    I broken the soap stone ⅓ pices for employees .
    For some unkon reason a box would last 5 or more years. I was thinking the would last a year 1 ½. They leave the small pieces in pocket and full size soap stone would be taken out after getting home.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I still have remnants. I forgot it in my pockets for a couple years and must have had a quart box or so full, then i bought a whole box which was a good thing. Today a little goes a long way, i still find enough around.
    I use so much less but if i was earlier im my career would buy a box of flat and be done with it. I bought box of 100 Sharpies at one point, need another. I tried round and dont care for it,

5. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice idea. I like the idea if cutting them in half. Throw the box on tge bandsaw.

Post Thanks / Like

I found using both works well for all jobs.
    At time I was think using a drafting mechanical pencil. But did not think the pencil would live long and cost was great too.
    I like round it was easier to keep a sharp point. But cost was to great for me

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I prefer rectangle soapstone. Silver streak too fancy, potentially too many parts, sensitive to heat and water and relatively expensive. I also, do not sharpen to round point, i sharpen a flat edge. Pretty easy to adjust if the cheap holder becomes loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    For the round aluminum soapstone holders, the leading edge of the collet should be sharp to hold the chalk in place. If it's not, put a piece of 1/4-in steel rod in place of the chalk, and held in so it's just shy of the leading edge. Lightly peen the leading edge inward, so it has a new sharp edge to bite the chalk.
    Sounds reasonable...I might just give that a try. The slipping stones really p!ss me off.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember
    My holder a cut the collet slots with jewelry saw for better grip.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Sounds reasonable...I might just give that a try. The slipping stones really p!ss me off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post

Because of among many things, it fits into smaller holes for marking things out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this one for about 38 years now. It was well from new when it was given to me by another weldor. I've changed out the pocket clip with one from a ball point pen. It does hold the round soap stone really good. Unfortunately I don't know where you could get one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well looks like bob wins the contest. i only use rtectangular, and i got a certtain way i sharpen it. every morning a piece goes into my change pocket of my pants. well, over the yrs, one of them days i got frisked. i think the cop thought he may of discovered some new kinda drug, as it did kinda look like a bone of coke. then he took the lid off my chapstick to look inside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    well looks like bob wins the contest. i only use rtectangular, and i got a certtain way i sharpen it. every morning a piece goes into my change pocket of my pants. well, over the yrs, one of them days i got frisked. i think the cop thought he may of discovered some new kinda drug, as it did kinda look like a bone of coke. then he took the lid off my chapstick to look inside
    You musta had "that" look! The picture bob posted is very similar to what I had, but I think mine was silver anodized.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 12-24-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    I had a similar experience at US Customs one night. The officer decided to search my car and he found a plastic film canister that rattled when he shook it. I used to carry a lot of crap in my cars to get me home if need be, sometimes I needed it. "What's in here?" He says. "I don't know" says I "Open it and see." It was spare fuses. He looked disappointed.
    ---Meltedmetal

16. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    You musta had "that" look! The picture bob posted is very similar to what I had, but I think mine was silver anodized.
    lol, no, just the opposite. i had the clean/innocent look. back in them days, in some situations, i worried some i didnt know well, that i might be a cop.
    now im old, gray and boring, so it not a issue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I had a similar experience at US Customs one night. The officer decided to search my car and he found a plastic film canister that rattled when he shook it. I used to carry a lot of crap in my cars to get me home if need be, sometimes I needed it. "What's in here?" He says. "I don't know" says I "Open it and see." It was spare fuses. He looked disappointed.
    lol,lol, o ya, back in the 80's they were popular, and it was almost a given, what was in them besides 35mm film. i bet he was dissapointed. those black trash can shaped w/ a grey lid. they were pretty much smell/water proof. i also knew the need for crap in cars/trucks, as i used to keep tools in my vehicles too, as a just a 9/16 wrench could help u limp home. i kept a mini tool box under the hood of my truck. i bought 79 or 80 chevy 350 diesel, it had two batterries. i yanked the motor, put a good 403 olds, from junkyard in it, and mounted mini tool box where extra battery went.
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-27-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the flat soapstone when I use it. I use Sharpies, number 2 lead pencils, for a thin line I love a scribe and keep many around. I have tried the Silver pencils, but the silver is so soft, it requires way too much sharpening time.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

20. Likes leightrepairs, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone else mentioned I trimmed down the collet but they don't hold like the old ones. Bare soapstone for rough work. Silver (red for shiny) pencils for finer and a scribe for machine work. The pencils will mark through grease, under water, or wherever you want. I get mine on Amazon. There's also a few boxes of sharpies laying around the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might have found what I was looking for. I ordered a Commando brand soapstone holder. I got mine off Amazon, but you can order direct from them: https://www.commandoproducts.com/soa...soapstone.aspx

Im a week in with this one and all seems good. No slippage and when you tighten the collar to lock the soapstone it just feels right. No affiliation with this company, just happy I found a working version.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Dave, I think you found the one I have. I didn't even know the brand name of the one I have as it was given to me. It has been a good one except for the pocket clip. The one that is on mine is the best clip I've found and I have to buy a pen to get it. I have the same clip on a pencil as well. I think you will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of these when I don't need a fine line.

https://gomrpen.com/product/mr-pen-w...halkboard-pen/
    Glen

Red-D-Arc EX300 (Miller XMT304)
    Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

One thing i dont like about the round soapstone holder is if you drop it the stone will break. I tryed rapping the stone in paper but it still didnt work.

Post Thanks / Like

I use soapstone for torch work.
    The problem I found was did not hold a sharp edge for layout.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Old Doug View Post
    One thing i dont like about the round soapstone holder is if you drop it the stone will break. I tryed rapping the stone in paper but it still didnt work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist