+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Welding Sock/Hood

Post Thanks / Like

Welding Sock/Hood

I'm in need of a welding hood for tight spaces, that can also protect my head and neck from sparks. I've settled on getting a leather sock/hood, and only one with headgear, so that the lense holder doesn't sit tight on my nose.

As far as I can tell, the only two welding socks that come with adjustable headgear are the Sellstrom and Huntsman leather welding hoods.

They are pretty close in price, so it comes down to user reviews, who here has experience with either they would like to share?
    IWW member
    Century: 250 amp AC/DC, 295 amp AC, High Frequency Box
    Victor, Harris, and Oxweld Oxy-Acetylene Equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Sock/Hood

Maybe a couple photos will jog someone's memory?

https://imgur.com/a/D4kvUxC
    IWW member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon-Arc View Post
    I'm in need of a welding hood for tight spaces, that can also protect my head and neck from sparks. I've settled on getting a leather sock/hood, and only one with headgear, so that the lense holder doesn't sit tight on my nose.

As far as I can tell, the only two welding socks that come with adjustable headgear are the Sellstrom and Huntsman leather welding hoods.

They are pretty close in price, so it comes down to user reviews, who here has experience with either they would like to share?

I bought one of these, its hot and it gets fogged up a bit but it works. Its got headgear inside it. Anchor makes it. Its 112 beaver skins from The Gangbox.

What has worked better for me was a pair of cutting goggle with a flip up lens and wrap a wet rag around your face or duct tape a piece of cardboard to the bottom of the goggles. Dont forget to put a darker lens in it...I made that mistake once it wasnt fun.

Only reason I bought the sock hood was I had to get into a spot to do a weld and they wouldnt let me do it with my cutting goggles and a weld lens...because it wasnt the "proper" use of a tool they said. Safety cops ought to mind their own f*&^in busness

Name:  sock-hood-2T.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  59.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post

Wearing one of those looks almost as fun as being waterboarded!

OP, I see there are a whole bunch of those types of things on Amazon if you search for "welding sock."
    Last edited by Kelvin; 01-01-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Wearing one of those looks almost as fun as being waterboarded!

OP, I see there are a whole bunch of those types of things on Amazon if you search for "welding sock."
    Yeah thye arent a lot of fun...they are hot and get fogged up in a hurry, I split mine open front and back to give me some air and it still is hot and foggy, so I use the goggles when I need to

Post Thanks / Like

Some pipe liner on line retailers websites have these, can remember who... I have taken card board and taped a #10 lens, works some of the time!
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of those yes welder welding goggles and a FR hood. My intention is for close quarters tig welding though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    Great hood for some tight places.
    Most work I use a good old fashion auto hood. But in tight places I need leather.

I have purchased two in 40 years the first one died. Now on my second one.
    Found I could were safety glass under hood. OK some may call them reading glass too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    I bought one of these, its hot and it gets fogged up a bit but it works. Its got headgear inside it. Anchor makes it. Its 112 beaver skins from The Gangbox.

What has worked better for me was a pair of cutting goggle with a flip up lens and wrap a wet rag around your face or duct tape a piece of cardboard to the bottom of the goggles. Dont forget to put a darker lens in it...I made that mistake once it wasnt fun.

Only reason I bought the sock hood was I had to get into a spot to do a weld and they wouldnt let me do it with my cutting goggles and a weld lens...because it wasnt the "proper" use of a tool they said. Safety cops ought to mind their own f*&^in busness

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems from the comments that there's not one vastly superior good, so I'll just go with the best deal and let you all know how it works.
    IWW member

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist