+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIG FUMES and Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG FUMES and Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Don't know where the oxygen comes from to form the ozone. The base metal and filler?
    In your article it states :

The aluminum alloys produce much more visible welding fume (the white smoke that you see) than many other materials. This is especially true in GMAW. It is not as apparent when performing gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) on aluminum. This happens because in GMAW we are transferring metal across the arc. In doing this, a good bit of material evaporates and forms the visible fume. In GTAW the filler wire doesn’t get as hot, so much less material evaporates and creates fume.

I have some good news for you. Although the process produces a lot of white fume, it consists almost entirely of magnesium oxide and aluminum oxide, which are considered to be merely lung irritants. I won’t kid you, both substances will irritate your lungs, so you shouldn’t breathe them if you can avoid it. However, they don’t contain anything that would adversely affect your health long term, unlike fume produced when welding other materials. There is no beryllium in aluminum filler welds, nor is there any manganese, chromium, or nickel.

The surface of the aluminum is really aluminum oxide, so when you weld it the oxygen gets attached to all sorts of things , including other oxygen molecules/atoms. Also, depending on your welder, the HF generator produces an open arc between the points when the HF is on.

That's just my guess.

Ideally I'm looking for the most amount of respiratory protection possible without buying a regulated flow helmet as I'm a hobbyist.
    As far as I can tell , the 3M series 6000/7000 half mask with 2097/2297 is the best protection before you get into supplied air respirators. If you follow some of the links I've posted above they explain what the masks may be used for.
    I've used the 8210's and 8214's but I find it hard to get a good seal around my nose, and mask interferes with safety glasses .

Just remember to where it on your face where it will do some good, and leave it on until you are in an area with no contamination. Don't take off your mask when you finish grinding/welding/sanding, and your still in the area, especially if others are grinding/welding/sanding .

My approach is "if you can smell it, you probably shouldn't be".
    I think this is a good way to explain what is mentioned in the use instructions by 3M.

Stay Safe
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

2. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up a couple Lincoln FGS series air hoods on ebay for cheap. We love the hoods. I think they were $640ea. Much cheaper than a lung or brain transplant and more comfortable than a mask. I have fairly good exhaust in the shop but it's not always easy to keep your head out of the fire.

4. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    I just picked up a couple Lincoln FGS series air hoods on ebay for cheap. We love the hoods. I think they were $640ea. Much cheaper than a lung or brain transplant and more comfortable than a mask. I have fairly good exhaust in the shop but it's not always easy to keep your head out of the fire.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30426394178...3ABFBMio3hucdf

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry duplicate post….great deal.
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 01-08-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The ozone or O3 is created when electrical arc rips apart the bond of O2 molecules when lightning strikes. The two single oxygen atoms don't like being single so they bond with O2 molecules to become ozone O3. You could also split three O2 molecules to create two O3 molecules. The Argon in Tig intensifies the weld arc so it must be making more ozone. I noticed ozone when first learning tig. I haven't noticed it in a while and try avoiding it but it never seemed harmful but why chance it.

8. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I wear my 3M respirator with 2297 filters even when I come to the computer to post on WeldingWeb
    There is a LOT of arcing in the posts on WeldingWeb,, so, I would expect ozone to be created,,
    Where do I order new 2297 filters??

`~` `~`

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know where the oxygen comes from to form the ozone. The base metal and filler?
    It's the intense ultraviolet light emanating past the argon plume that hits the O2 in the air and ends up producing ozone.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

11. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a similar fresh air setup when tigging stainless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It's the intense ultraviolet light emanating past the argon plume that hits the O2 in the air and ends up producing ozone.
    That certainly is plausible. But then why is the ozone so much more prevalent with AC and alum?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

That certainly is plausible. But then why is the ozone so much more prevalent with AC and alum?
    That's an easy one, steel corrodes easier than aluminum.
    As a result, the rust, iron oxide, gobbles up that extra oxygen so no o3 is made...aluminum doesn't corrode fast enough to catch the extra oxygen molecules.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    That's an easy one, steel corrodes easier than aluminum.
    As a result, the rust, iron oxide, gobbles up that extra oxygen so no o3 is made...aluminum doesn't corrode fast enough to catch the extra oxygen molecules.
    Name:  111912600_medium_1494311002.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.0 KB
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

16. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  111912600_medium_1494311002.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.0 KB
    Lol
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist