Closed Thread

Thread: T-Bone's Major Equipment Sale Thread (Trucks, Trailer, Crane, Outriggers, Compressor)

Post Thanks / Like

T-Bone's Major Equipment Sale Thread (Trucks, Trailer, Crane, Outriggers, Compressor)

Hi Y'all!

I'm changing my business structure significantly. As part of this, I'm changing my equipment on hand to better reflect my current needs. I'm going to link to the build threads on the two trucks, where you can find pictures galore. I'll have to see if the latest versions of these trucks are pictured or not; I might've continued modifying them after I stopped posting about them. Other equipment will be listed now or added later, and pictures of most will be added later when I get A) a sunny day, and B) time.

Anyhow, the next few posts will list what's for sale. Prices reflect what I believe the current market is. You can make offers, but this isn't a fire sale, and I don't need the money. So please don't be offended if I don't accept.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: T-Bone's Major Equipment Sale Thread (Trucks, Trailer, Crane, Outriggers, Compres

2001 International 4900. This started out as an ex-Pike Electric company truck. It still has less than 100K miles, but has been heavily modified as you can see in the thread:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/3...s+truck+thread

This always was, and still is, a CDL truck. 33K GVW. Air brakes. 14' service bed with many tool compartments and heavy pintle hitch on the back suitable for towing a 10-ton or larger trailer. Loaded with my tools it grosses 22K, so there's 11K payload capacity remaining with my setup. I've used the bed space to haul things like 5K forklifts, a 90-ton ironworker, etc.

The truck's modifications include:

-New engine. NEW. Ex-military MRAP DT530E engine, this is a non-EGR engine that was sealed for a decade before being sold at auction. This is a 330HP engine with ungodly torque. It will not disappoint. It's likely that this is one of the most powerful International 4900's in the country, as I don't believe civilian engines were ever offered with this output, especially in single-axle trucks. This engine replaced a 215HP DT466E with leaking cylinder liner. All the details are in the linked thread. Engine has less than 5,000 miles on it from *new.* Truck hauls butt, as you can imagine.

-10-speed overdrive transmission. Low mileage, shifts flawlessly. Transmission rated for considerably more output than this engine makes; it's a Class 8 truck transmission, not a medium-duty trans. Had to install this because the DT530E's torque output was basically double what the old DT466 trans was rated for....didn't want to grenade a trans going up a mountain.

-Rear axle ratio was switched from 5.13 to 4.33. This axle has an air locker in it.

-Pacbrake exhaust brake added. Works well.

-Exhaust re-routed up through the bed floor at rear of cab; no more danger of setting fields on fire with a bottom-dump exhaust.

-Complete trailer air system added. Truck is set up for pulling an air-brake trailer, which I'm advertising as well and I believe may be pictured in the truck's build thread at some point.

-Deep torch compartment added. This has a reinforced floor and an optional rear-facing slot for hose exit if you're working in the rain or in a bad area where you want to keep your compartment door closed and/or locked while using the torch out of sight of the truck. Originally had a Tidweld hose reel in it, and my intention is to keep that reel for future use. I haven't pulled it off yet, and if you throw some extra cash at me, I'll leave it on there. This compartment is currently housing a 60-lb (?)(it's big) LP tank, a 282 oxygen, a 75/25 tank, and there's a 4th slot in there for a CO2, AR, or similar tank. Super useful compartment; who wants their torches in the rain or snow?

-Connected compartment behind the torch compartment added.

-There's a Craftsman ball bearing toolbox mounted in the driver's side front compartment that I'll leave with the truck. People said it wouldn't last, but it's going strong and it'd be a pain to remove it.

-There's a TSC job box on top of the above compartment which I'll probably pull for reuse in the next truck. But throw in $200 and I'll leave it; it's already mounted, after all. Good box that locks up fine.

-There's a Champion 30 gal 12.5 hp compressor with a Kohler engine on it; I didn't use this much, and I was thinking of pulling it and selling it separately. Throw in an extra $1500 and I'll leave it; otherwise, I'm pulling and selling it separately.

-There's a TB325 EFI / Excel, 2017 year I believe, with like 15 original hours on it. Or less. Throw in another $6500 and I'll leave it, otherwise I'm keeping it for the next truck. Great machine that I used just a couple months ago, runs like new (obviously).

-There are a lot of accessories that will come with the truck if you want them. I gathered these up to change over the interior, and I've kept them stored in my dehumidified shop. I basically gutted the inside of a different 4900 with a gray interior and kept every panel. I also pulled the complete A/C system, the air ride seat, the fixed passenger's bench seat with storage compartment under it, a bunch of spare interior components, etc. Dash cluster, wiring, radio....you get the picture. This stuff is free to the buyer. Otherwise I'm scrapping or selling them.

-I bought out eBay's stock of engine oil filters when the military surplused theirs out. This DT530E uses a different-than-standard oil filter, but you have enough spare oil filters to run it for years before having to buy your first filter.

This truck runs, drives, stops, etc like a dream. I've had that air ride seat for years and have never been inclined to take the time to install it. The truck has always been parked inside my dehumidified shop since the day I brought it home in 2014, except when out on a job. I don't need it much anymore; the last time I used it on the job was in August on a job in PA, and before that, I mainly used it as a trailer puller. That's why the welder has such low hours. You can expect about 10 mpg on interstate at steady speeds, and 8.5 or so in local driving. I got 8.1 towing at a combined weight of 34K some years ago on a trip of decent distance. Pretty good on fuel for an engine this powerful; it gets another couple mpg over what the original DT466 got. Tires are all good. The rears have about 20k miles on them, the fronts have half tread remaining. Tires are 11R22.5's and they last a *long* time.

Just realized I forgot to put a price! $20,000 for the truck. That's firm. I've got more than that in the new engine / transmission and their installation costs alone. If you want some of the parts listed above like job box, welder, etc....add their costs to the $20K.
    Last edited by user 9328330; 01-01-2022 at 04:11 PM.

4. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: T-Bone's Major Equipment Sale Thread (Trucks, Trailer, Crane, Outriggers, Compres

Here's a pic from the build thread, just so people who are new have a clue what I'm talking about. This used to be my avatar, and although this is somewhat early in the build, the box configuration is still this way. The vertical exhaust, the compressor, and the job box aren't on it yet in this pic.

Name:  P1060875.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  63.1 KB
    Last edited by user 9328330; 01-01-2022 at 04:20 PM.

6. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2000 Ford F-350. I originally bought this truck so I could take the International out of service for a few months to reinforce it's bed and put an Autocrane on it. It turned out to be so handy that not only did it become my regular work truck, I never did put the Autocrane on my International.

Here is it's build thread:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/4...-Truck-Thread/

Basics of this truck: 2WD, 3.73, 5.4L gas V8, 262K miles, reman automatic trans shifts great. 9700 GVW means you'll never be hassled by DOT. Weighs 8500 loaded with my tools and me in it. Truck is ready to work although you'll want to eventually replace the intake manifold gasket as there's an annoying antifreeze leak at the coolant crossover. I've been parking it over a pan. I add antifreeze every month or so. Truck does have A/C but it's never worked since I've owned it. I've never tried to charge it. Truck is still in service as we speak, and I'm taking it on a 3-hour one-way trip for a job in 2 days. Burns about 1 quart of oil every 5K miles, which is my oil change interval. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30. I want to emphasize that this is a good truck. I set it up the way I wanted, and it's solid. Well worth a new engine whenever that time comes. No sign that this one is anything but healthy, and the price is right especially in today's market which is totally idiotic. I seem to get between 12 and 13 mpg in this truck regardless of town or highway driving.

This truck has had the following modifications:

-It has a Reading 8' service bed which I took off of a CSX Railroad truck. This bed has a driver's side torch compartment which is almost an unseen thing on single rear wheel trucks. It also has welded-in shelving and nooks inside of the passenger-side compartment over the wheel. Bed is in excellent shape, no rust-through, only surface rust in a couple spots, and a paint job would make it look new. I couldn't pick a better bed for a welding truck of this type.

-It has a bumper / workbench made from 3/8" plate. The bench has a clamping perimeter all the way around it and a built-in 2" hitch receiver, D-rings, and trailer plug. If you intend to use it for towing, verify the wiring on the plug. I never pulled anything with lights or brakes with this truck.

-The bumper is pre-drilled for a Reed 204R 4" vise. It's also cut to match that vise's operating perimeter so that things clamped in the jaws don't hit the bench on their way towards the ground. There's a 204R on it now that I'll throw in for an extra $150, or I'll keep it and you can provide your own or modify the bench to suit your own vise.

-The truck has extensive suspension modifications. I don't like a SRW (single rear wheel) truck in general for our work because it sways and floats too much. After a lot of research, I did the following:

---2WD F550 front coil springs. Extra ride height, no more front sag. Truck is at stock 4WD truck height although it's a 2WD.
    ---F350 Dually rear leaf spring pack with helper. Extra ride height, no more rear sag. Truck rides well with this combination of springs and isn't rough or punishing at all.
    ---Bilstein shocks, all around.
    ---Hellwig front and rear sway bars, the biggest they make. No more leaning in curves.
    ---EBC rotors and EBC Yellowstuff pads, front and rear. Brakes only take a light touch. These pads are very dusty, your wheels will be black in a week. But they stop like no others.
    ---Ford factory 10-hole aluminum wheels. Found a set used; they're the only OEM wheels I like, and I wanted to reduce weight and add some better looks. They use the stock tire size.
    ---Toyo M55 tires which are wearing like iron and are the toughest set of tires I was able to spec in the stock size. They probably still have about half of their life left. Super tough tires; I'll be buying this model of tire again.
    ---Ford V10 driveshaft from the CSX RR truck. Has beefy greasable u-joints.
    ---POR-15 coating on the frame. No signs of problems with it.

In addition to the suspension work:

-At about 212k miles when I bought this truck, I got the Time-Sert Mod Motor spark plug repair kit because I had to replace a heli-coiled plug with a good one. That kit can be sold with the truck for $400 if you want it. You might never need it, but it's good to have. That's the one problem with these 2V 5.4L's, and the hardest plug (back passenger's side) has already been fixed.

-Bucket seats, re-upholstered by a local shop in vinyl. These are factory buckets with a folding center console. No rips or tears. The guy that did this, before he retired last year, made $20k interiors for show cars. You won't be disappointed. Super comfy.

-Replaced stock non-tilt, non-cruise column with a tilt, cruise steering column. The cruise worked for years and only recently stopped working. Probably something very simple...not sure and at this point, you can fix it if you want. I make so few long trips nowadays that it's not worth my time to open it up again. Tilt works, obviously.

-Replaced stock AM/FM radio with Ford AM/FM/CD radio.

-There's a big junction box with relays and such that's mounted to the rear cab wall. I pulled it off the RR truck in case I ever wanted to wire in work lights, etc. If I have the original harness that went to it, I'll throw that in as well.

-There's a 46"(?) Weatherguard storage box mounted inside the bed, all the way at the front. It's easily removable but will come with the truck for an extra $300 if you want it. Very handy, excellent shape; I use it to store leads, extension cords, and 3 wire feeders. I'd take it if I were you. But I'm glad to sell it separately otherwise.

-There's a Miller Trailblazer 325 on this truck, has about 300 hrs or so on it I think, and I believe it's either a 2016 or 2017 model. I'll throw that machine in for an extra $6,300 if you want it. Otherwise I'm keeping it for a field machine. Great-running welder just like the one on the International.

-Bumper was switched with a chrome one, grille was switched to a chrome one. All of this and the alloy wheels make the truck look sharp.

-There's a horizontal ding/scratch in the passenger's side door, low down. It's not too noticeable, has been there since before I got it. Just FYI.

I guess that's about it. I'm pricing this truck at $6500 firm. My local market has trucks at $10k that are obviously junk. This one, get in it and go. If there's one thing I've learned over the years since I built these trucks, when they need to go to work, they need to go. And when you get there, you need them to be a shop on wheels. This one and the International both qualify in spades. Their next owners are getting good serviceable trucks at a *great* price. Make low or no payments and get the exact same or better results than the guys running around in $70k trucks with silly excuses for work bodies on them.

I found this pic of this truck still saved on my WW attachments.

Name:  P1090245.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  172.4 KB
    Last edited by user 9328330; 01-01-2022 at 05:47 PM.

8. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's too late to edit the post on the International, but before somebody asks, I should add that it's top speed is somewhere approaching 80 mph now. It's no longer a 59 mph slug like it was when I bought it. Also, I think I forgot to mention that it does have cruise control which acts as an electrical engine governor set to whatever RPM you want....that means that you can also use it for things like warming up the engine before driving or setting an engine speed for PTO accessories like an auxiliary hydraulic pump for a crane.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Auto Crane 5005H crane for sale. I bought this to mount to my International. I got it home, offloaded it into my dehumidified shop, and it has sat there ever since. I pulled this crane off of an ex-government truck that a guy had bought at auction and decided he didn't want the crane. So I drove to MD and bought it from him. It looks like it saw very little service.

Name:  P1070263.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  P1070261.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  91.4 KB

These are the pics from when I bought it in 2014. So it has sat on my shop floor for almost 8 years now while I haven't had both the time and inclination (at the same time) to get it mounted. This crane needs to go somewhere that it'll be used! Includes corded remote. This is a straight hydraulic crane, meaning that it does not run off of your vehicle's battery. You need a hydraulic powerpack to run it, and most people are running them off of a PTO mounted on the side of their transmission.

I don't have a PTO for it, but I do have a hydraulic reservoir that'll work with it and I also have either a Kawasaki air-cooled V-twin engine (like what runs a JD 425 garden tractor) or I have a Kubota WG series 3-cylinder liquid-cooled gas engine that I pulled out of an old Asplundh truck. It has a hydraulic pump on it. Either engine would need to be gone through. My plan was to use a powerpack instead of the PTO, because my truck's engine replacement cost me $23,000 and I didn't want to put hours on the new one when it wasn't moving. Plus the inefficiency of using a 330HP engine to turn an 8HP hydraulic pump is just stupid IMO. The crane will come with a reservoir plus one or the other of these engines, your choice.

These service truck cranes commonly sell for $1 per lb of lifting capacity these days, so $5000 it is. That price is firm.

Post Thanks / Like

I will add in the following now, and come a sunny day I'll get pictures up of this set. But in case you're thinking of buying the International and also want the crane, you should know that the following equipment is also for sale and you'll probably want it for the crane installation.

I have a set of Cormach fully hydraulic outriggers which mount to the frame of a medium duty truck. They are underslung, so the work body does have to be modified. My plan was to do away with the two rear boxes on each side below bed height. The outrigger set has bolt plates and will be an easy fit for this truck. The outriggers are both full width, meaning that the right and left outriggers are in horizontally paired tubes and each will go out almost truck width. As opposed to being half-width and each working in the same tube. What this means is exceptional stability for the truck. These came off of a drywall crane truck and would probably be good for a 20K+ capacity crane. They are hydraulic in/out, and hydraulic up/down. There is one valve that comes with them, too...I couldn't get the other one. So you'll need an additional valve and hoses to power them.

I need $1500 for them. That's a screaming deal.

Finally, I also have a bunch of 4" square tube with 1/2" wall thickness which I was going to use for bracing under the flatbed and for the crane tower itself. The 4900's flatbed has 4" channel crossmembers, and it needs reinforcement for crane mounting. I have enough tube to reinforce the bed and build the tower. I'll have to measure it, but I bought either 2 or 3 sticks of this tube at 24' long I believe. I'll charge you half of whatever the going rate is for tube if you want this as well. Some of it is already cut into manageable lengths. It is HEAVY as you can imagine. It won't be cheap, but it's cheaper than anywhere else you'll get it.

If you want to buy the International, the Auto Crane, the outriggers, and the tube, I'll knock $1,000 off the total cost of those. Can't give you a figure this second because I don't know how many sticks of tube and current price x 50% on it. But the total will be all of those added together, minus $1,000.

Just food for thought. All of this will fit on the truck as a single load, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally for now, I have a 2006 Eager Beaver 10HA-PT trailer for sale. This has a 20K payload capacity and has air brakes with ABS. Pulls great, hubs aren't leaking, and I'll have a fresh VA inspection on it sometime this month. Tires are fine. Floor is good if you want to haul steel on it, could use some boards replaced if you want to move equipment with it. Trailer is clean, looks good, modern, not torn up, not rusted, and pulls great behind the International. If you want it on it's own, $5,000. If you buy it with the International, $4,000. Either way it's a good price.

Here's a couple pics I found of it in my WW attachment folder:

Name:  P1080627.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  P1080842.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  126.3 KB

PS - Forklift not for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reading, that's all for today!

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was this TBone Construction company?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    Hi Y'all!

I'm changing my business structure significantly. As part of this, I'm changing my equipment on hand to better reflect my current needs. I'm going to link to the build threads on the two trucks, where you can find pictures galore. I'll have to see if the latest versions of these trucks are pictured or not; I might've continued modifying them after I stopped posting about them. Other equipment will be listed now or added later, and pictures of most will be added later when I get A) a sunny day, and B) time.

Anyhow, the next few posts will list what's for sale. Prices reflect what I believe the current market is. You can make offers, but this isn't a fire sale, and I don't need the money. So please don't be offended if I don't accept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Was this TBone Construction company?

Dave
    Nope, more like T-Bone's Repair Company LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Location?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Location?
    Shenandoah Valley of VA, Zip 22801

19. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice rigs... too far for me. Pretty much knew that, but sometimes we call Ontario the middle east...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bud, I know it has been a while since we talked, joked, stole from each other . I hope all is well, as in you won the lottery or something good. I hate to see good guys liquidate out of desperation or something, NOT implying that is what is happening. I just hope all is well buddy! Feel free to PM or text/call me anytime. Heck, maybe I will even give you half of your shtuff back!!!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

22. Likes 12V71, crab fisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, get me some pics and info price on the Champion. I have a company I did work for over in Roanoke. I just may be in the market
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Hey bud, I know it has been a while since we talked, joked, stole from each other . I hope all is well, as in you won the lottery or something good. I hate to see good guys liquidate out of desperation or something, NOT implying that is what is happening. I just hope all is well buddy! Feel free to PM or text/call me anytime. Heck, maybe I will even give you half of your shtuff back!!!
    Hey You Knucklehead! No worries, I'm absolutely fine and T-Bone Welding and Repair is going great! But the equipment I needed in 2014 is a little different than the equipment I need in 2022. As my business has grown, the type of work I'm doing is changing and since I built this stuff to last, I know it'll be able to be put to good use in somebody else's business for many years to come. What I'm doing here is freeing up shop and storage space. So it's not about the money. Thank the good Lord! I've been there before. But not this time.

Also, will do on the compressor. I'm on a job in NOVA for a few days, so it might be a bit until I get you the new pics. You can PM me your email address again if you want....not sure if I still have it or not....

Post Thanks / Like

2001 International 4900 is SOLD

26. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much everything sold with the 4900; I do still have the F350 available but I don't have the F450 ready to replace it yet. So I guess for now, let's call this thread dead. I'll make a new one for the F350 with current pictures when the time comes. Thanks all for your interest!

Post Thanks / Like

"Sold sold sold American"
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

29. Likes user 9328330 liked this post
Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist