Thread: Welding cable/leads help.

Post Thanks / Like

Welding cable/leads help.

I just bought a brand-used bobcat 250 and would like to get some 2/0 welding cable. Miller brand is way too expensive so Ive been shopping around. Wanted to get the pros opinion on either Temco or Southwire brand cable. When comparing Miller against the other two they have the same specs. Is there a difference? I want to run a 50’ ground and a 75’ stinger. I also want to set it up with quick disconnect. I’ll be using a Tweco A-136 electrode holder along with a 300A ground clamp. Any suggestions on this set up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding cable/leads help.

On the length you mentioned 0 would be fine. Other than the ultra flexible super flex, cable is cable as far as I'm concerned. If I was setting that up I would get 2 50' sections, add a qd to each end and then get a roll of #1 super flex, which comes on a 30' roll. Cut off 5-6' and make a " ground" section with a male QD and then a stinger with the remaining QD. The lighter gauge, flexible cable works better for both the " ground" and the electrode leads as it's easier to manipulate.

Post Thanks / Like

Check Ebay. I'm paying no more than 60% of what new cable costs. No reason to buy brand new unless it's someone else's money, as it will nearly all be the same in performance. I got this cable this week. All flex-a-prene good stuff.

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

4. Likes Mwjakel15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice above from MJD and Oscar.

I'm running 2/0 on my Trailblazer Pro. I have 350' of lead and 250' of ground, in various lengths. As MJD recommended, make a short ground (Mine is around 10') and a slightly longer lead for your stinger, with Tweco connectors on the end. That way, if you're welding something right next to the machine you don't need to unspool the entire long run.

I've also sourced lead used for a discount, and bought in bulk new off of e-bay. I would not get too hung up on brands, nor would I be afraid of used
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Good advice above from MJD and Oscar.

I'm running 2/0 on my Trailblazer Pro. I have 350' of lead and 250' of ground, in various lengths. As MJD recommended, make a short ground (Mine is around 10') and a slightly longer lead for your stinger, with Tweco connectors on the end. That way, if you're welding something right next to the machine you don't need to unspool the entire long run.

I've also sourced lead used for a discount, and bought in bulk new off of e-bay. I would not get too hung up on brands, nor would I be afraid of used
    Definitely some good info and advise from all.
    I appreciate it! I like the idea of keeping is shorter and then adding an extension as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not me up to a point. Keep the 75 ft on the stinger, its enough to get around without fussing with connectors all the time, that big lead wont slow it down at all, wont know its there. Use as few connectors as you can. Also,, go to number 1 or 1/0, why weight it down, why invest in something you will never use. You can always buy more later if needed. Guy above has 500 ft on a bigger machine, no reason for 2/0.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-02-2022 at 03:57 PM.

8. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Not me up to a point. Keep the 75 ft on the stinger, its enough to get around without fussing with connectors all the time, that big lead wont slow it down at all, wont know its there. Use as few connectors as you can. Also,, go to number 1 or 1/0, why weight it down, why invest in something you will never use. You can always buy more later if needed. Guy above has 500 ft on a bigger machine, no reason for 2/0.
    Cool thanks. I sized the cable based on miller’s recommendation. I agree, I won’t necessarily “need”2/0 but I was thinking future when I can upgrade to the trailblazer 325but that’s way down the road when prices come down a little. My shop build is way more important right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

@Sberry Hit the nail on the head.
    I have a 330 amp welder and I keep a pair of 50' 00 cable attached to the welder at all times. That and my choice of stinger does 75-80% of my work.
    Plus I have a 100' +/- of 00 on the truck for when I need to stretch.

Now for Stingers
    I have a pair of #2 @ 25' long a pair of #2 @ 10' long
    and my big ground clamp that's on 00 @ 10' long with a 00 stinger 10' long.

I got the 00 cables because I weld and gouge @ over 250 amps for weeks at a time @ 100º +.

For 250 amps you can run 100% duty cycle with a #1 or 0 cable up to 250ft total cable.

That coil rides right there.

.Name:  20210907_134959.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  115.1 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Right,,, at 100%. A guy buying his first used Bobber doesnt sound like the guy gonna wring the guts out of it steady. Got a bud has one 30 years,,,, 23 hours on it,,, ha
    This poster needs lead 200A @ 60%,,, way above adequate. Its beyond my needs. Any hi demade i would use is so limited it wouldnt matter, i am not running wire feed or continious gouging. Guy could get good new lead for 1/2 the cost of 2/0.

12. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this place. You have to call for a quote though.

www.electronbeam.com

EB-flex, standard welding cable. "Special of the Week, 52" for 2021: 4/0 (109 mm square) NEMA Class K; BLACK $5.33 per foot; December 27 through December 31, 2021. Now with FREE SHIPPING on all EB-Flex orders through our new website! www.electronbeam.com
    Restrictions apply; minimum purchase of 25'. Questions, Quotes or to Place Your Order, call "Customer Service" (8 AM - 4 PM CT) at 815-935-2211. Need cable specifications and current (amperage) recommendations call 1-815-935-2211 or visit us on the web
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

14. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done well buying leads on ebay from a vendor called AC/DC electrical supply or something like that. Very competitive prices, good cable.

Post Thanks / Like

For 50 ft if I am on the buying end for a small welder like a Bobcat I like number 1. You can run 5/32 lo hi about 100 ft round trip pretty well on number 2 but number 1 is more robust and eliminates any real voltage drop this would be bit more concern if I was trying to wring its guts out with a wire feeder.
    There is always some use for the light cable even if you end up needing heavier but number 2 for 1/8 maintenance work does the job fine at that distance.
    Sometimes the welding aint a deal but I thaw pipe on occasion, that shows up in a hurry. Things Freebird and Miner Pop do are in a different class. They need equipment 2x as good as the rest of us, I cant even remember last time I burn a 5/32 rod, 15 years. I use a Maxstar now. If a guy reads the chart with that he can start to feel like he is sizing for 140A but in the real world a limited 95.
    Same for that Bobcat, lots of them see 120A most of their lives and a few some at 150-160, sure the machine will make more but dont mean its gonna be used and modest is so much easier to handlle haul store.
    So after all that babble,,, would change from 2/0 to number 1 and get 130-135 foot, maybe even a pinch more and 60 ft on the work and 75-80 on the stinger. To start with would get 2 lugs to bolt to the machine with a female and 2 male so I could disconnect for handling and skip everything else, connect to work ground clamp and with the number 1 its direct and fine to the stinger at this point.
    You can always buy more but unwind a little extra, make big hangers, simple and reliable, reduce connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Look at what grew on my shop stinger loom. Last revision I stripped this out.
    On my service truck had the work to the body and a W in the stinger with a lead in the back tool box for work on the tailgate, was kind of easy to do but some of that in the long run is just more stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I found that if leads were not quite long enough to get away from the truck, around back, on the other side of a trailer then its simply a hassle to fuss with extensions and this is different than long pieces when needed. I have some 100 ft pieces also, big heavy ones but I dont really need them anymore but for possible pipe thaw, maybe I contract a tank job, big air arc. Not the typical kind of thing for a Bobber anyway.
    Last portable engine drive I did was with a 1 cyl.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-03-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a limit to what I can wind up & carry. 2/0, I like 50 foot sections with Tweco connectors.

Welding cable is a commodity, usually check specifications, not brand. Mine was bought on the internet & I believe it is good as any.

Used makes me nervous if I can't see it. Insulation may be end of life, copper might be damaged. The finely stranded conductor leaves a lot of surface to be oxidized. The oxide makes for high resistance where it is terminated.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on electron beam technology. American made, GREAT stuff. https://electronbeam.com/product-cat...welding-cable/
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Try this place. You have to call for a quote though.

www.electronbeam.com

EB-flex, standard welding cable. "Special of the Week, 52" for 2021: 4/0 (109 mm square) NEMA Class K; BLACK $5.33 per foot; December 27 through December 31, 2021. Now with FREE SHIPPING on all EB-Flex orders through our new website! www.electronbeam.com
    Restrictions apply; minimum purchase of 25'. Questions, Quotes or to Place Your Order, call "Customer Service" (8 AM - 4 PM CT) at 815-935-2211. Need cable specifications and current (amperage) recommendations call 1-815-935-2211 or visit us on the web

I buy all my lead from www.electronbeam.com It is top quality lead and every time I've compared, they were the least expensive. I really don't shop anymore, I go straight to them.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"