Thread: Infrared Thermometer suggestions to check pre-heated aluminum -- what do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Infrared Thermometer suggestions to check pre-heated aluminum -- what do you use?

Hey gents (and ladies)! For those of you who pre-heat aluminum work pieces (~1/8" thick is the range for me), I've found that it does help to pre-heat work pieces to 180-200 f. I'm curious about what recommendations there are from weldors for buying an IR Thermometer that has a female K-type insert. A weldor friend loaned me his multimeter that accepts a probe stick with a k-type connector. I already own a couple of temperature probe sticks with K-type male connectors, but I don't want to use my multimeter in a welding environment. Any suggestions for brands/models that you've used to check out for my purposes?
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Infrared Thermometer suggestions to check pre-heated aluminum -- what do you use?

Iv'e never had the need to preheat 1'8" aluminum. I use a Dynasty 200 and generally use 3/32" tungsten. Basically just set it at 135 amps and adjust with foot peddle. If I'm welding some thick stuff like 3/8" or thicker I warm it with a propane plumbers torch, when a little water dances on it, it go to laying a beads.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

3. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Infrared Thermometer suggestions to check pre-heated aluminum -- what do you use?

Yea, I don't preheat anything under 3/8's - you look like you have 200A machines where I don't think you'd have any need when doing 1/8th...

But,,, when I do, I use the little "red dot" IR thingy (200/250F is all it takes)

5. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation would be to use a temperature stick for whatever temperature you have in mind. It's a lot cheaper and a lot more accurate.

7. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A "Type "K" thermocouple" is not an infrared thermometer,,

Infrared indicates a non-contact temp measurement.
    Type "K" is a bi-metal that requires contact.

If you want a Type "K", order one off eBay,,

I think you will be dissatisfied with attempting to determine temp by infrared.
    Aluminum can be highly reflective, the infrared will "see" the temp of surrounding objects, as easily as the aluminum,, sorta like looking in a mirror.

9. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

20$ now at HF. But,,,, within this range i can pretty much come close enough with hand, drop of water is 212.

Post Thanks / Like

Preheating 1/8" aluminum?

Sounds like you have way too small of a welder or to thick of a table acting as a chill block, or both.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

TempiStick
    As mentioned,IR temp guns don’t work well on shiny surfaces.
    They are good for a lot of other things though. I have a Fluke
    IR gun at work. Works very well but I wouldn’t be surprised if
    a less expensive one would do just as well.
    Thermocouples (like type J or K) seem to be very accurate
    if they have good contact, like being clamped to the surface
    being measured or inserted in a small hole.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weld_ View Post
    My recommendation would be to use a temperature stick for whatever temperature you have in mind. It's a lot cheaper and a lot more accurate.
    Thanks! I already own a couple of temperature probe sticks with K-type male connectors. And the IR Temperature tool I just bought automatically disables the laser, when the K-type connector is in use -- I just read that, so still learning. Got the Klein IR10. Looking forward to using it!
    Agape Guy
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    A "Type "K" thermocouple" is not an infrared thermometer,,

Infrared indicates a non-contact temp measurement.
    Type "K" is a bi-metal that requires contact.

If you want a Type "K", order one off eBay,,

I think you will be dissatisfied with attempting to determine temp by infrared.
    Aluminum can be highly reflective, the infrared will "see" the temp of surrounding objects, as easily as the aluminum,, sorta like looking in a mirror.
    Thanks! I already have two sticks, as I stated in my original posts. I'll only be using my temperature sticks with my IR temp tool for checking the heating of aluminum. The Klein IR10 automatically disables the laser, when the K-type socket is in use -- I just found that out; still learning!
    Agape Guy
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your suggestions/insights! I ended just buying this morning the Klein IR10. For aluminum welding purposes (I'll use it for other purposes as well), it features a K-type connector socket, and the device automatically disables the lasers when the connector is in use. I already have two temperature sticks, which I'll be using with the tool. Only $75 off ebay. Can't wait!
    Last edited by Agape Guy; 01-04-2022 at 02:27 PM.
    Agape Guy
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agape Guy View Post
    Thanks! I already own a couple of temperature probe sticks with K-type male connectors. And the IR Temperature tool I just bought automatically disables the laser, when the K-type connector is in use -- I just read that, so still learning. Got the Klein IR10. Looking forward to using it!
    If you decide to go with The K type probe my suggestion is buy a pretty decent one. The one that is supplied with your Klein unit is a pain to use. If it was me I would get one that has a 90 angle head.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  398CA74E-1542-46E1-B47F-6E4384F79DC7.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  15.0 KB
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite