Thread: Pro Tig 205 high frequency start on AC question

Post Thanks / Like

Pro Tig 205 high frequency start on AC question

Has anyone had an occasional problem with high frequency start on AC? Haven't had the problem with DC. I will get a few arc sparks from the tungsten to the work then nothing, might happen a couple times and then welds fine. Grounds are good. Read where some welders have a set of points that need cleaning or adjusting, and only happens on AC, anyone been inside of this welder yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pro Tig 205 high frequency start on AC question

when I owned Miller Syncrowave welders (I've had a couple), they would frequently not light up on HF (whether on DC or AC) unless I grounded the tungsten before depressing the foot pedal. It was as if there was some static or a small charge of some sort in the system. A quick touching of the tungsten to the welding table or material to be welded would solve this problem. But it had to be with no welding current applied. It just became a habit for me after a while. I would see if this helps before ripping out the points. Also, it makes no sense to me that the HF would work fine on DC but not AC.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

My bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danike110 View Post
    Has anyone had an occasional problem with high frequency start on AC? Haven't had the problem with DC. I will get a few arc sparks from the tungsten to the work then nothing, might happen a couple times and then welds fine. Grounds are good. Read where some welders have a set of points that need cleaning or adjusting, and only happens on AC, anyone been inside of this welder yet?
    I haven't been inside of a Pro Tip 205 to know if it has points, but I did run one that a friend bought when I helped him with the setup. I found the HF start to be on the weak side and there were definitely times I had to hit the pedal more than once, or tap the tungsten to the work before hitting the pedal. Like Louie said, this was more common with older machines...to the point some of the old timers make it a habit of tapping the tungsten on the work every time before hitting the pedal. For whatever reason, it seems to make a difference.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

5. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Add a Miller Dynasty 300DX to the crowd(non blue lightning). It is an older machine 2007 I think, and I always had to give the tungsten a little scratch on my table or the work piece. I even changed starting parameters to combat this. Still does not help. It is a habit now for me. So what I do when I finish my weld and on my post flow is, I give it a scratch. Thus the next time I light up I am good to go. Been doing it for years.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

7. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight tech line thinks the foot pedal is the most likely cause, I'll keep my fingers crossed when it gets here.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a ProTIG 205 a while back. Had it in a box for a while cause I was moving my shop to my barn. Decided to take it out 2 days before the exchange program no questions asked expired. Dead out of the box. Took it back and got my money back.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

check plugs and collet are on securely. protig 205 has a good hf start compared to the previous protig200. could be the pedal but only on ac?

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting on the foot pedal, but found this info in the owners manual.

High Frequency grounding
    1. The Welder has internal grounding, thereis no need to ground the Welder.
    2. The metal work bench must be properly groundedin accordance with all relevant electrical codesand standards before operation. Have the workbench grounded by a qualified electricianif you are not qualified to do so.
    3. To ground the work bench, connect a #12 AWGgrounding wire (not included) from the workbench to a grounding rod (not included).The grounding rod must be an earth-drivencopper or brass rod (electrode) which canadequately ground the work bench

Apparently the ground through the welder and wiring in the house is not adequate for the high frequency start?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=danike110;8843867]Still waiting on the foot pedal, but found this info in the owners manual.

High Frequency grounding
    2. The metal work bench must be properly groundedin accordance with all relevant electrical codesand standards before operation. Have the workbench grounded by a qualified electricianif you are not qualified to do so.
    3. To ground the work bench, connect a #12 AWGgrounding wire (not included) from the workbench to a grounding rod (not included).The grounding rod must be an earth-drivencopper or brass rod (electrode) which canadequately ground the work bench

Apparently the ground through the welder and wiring in the house is not adequate for the high frequency start? Or is it for HF interference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=danike110;8843909]
    Quote Originally Posted by danike110 View Post
    Still waiting on the foot pedal, but found this info in the owners manual.

High Frequency grounding

Apparently the ground through the welder and wiring in the house is not adequate for the high frequency start? Or is it for HF interference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grounding is necessary to prevent RF interference and for electrical safety. I bet 99.99% of the people here don't bother grounding their welding table. High Frequency starting does NOT require any grounding for it to work properly. It does, however, require a complete circuit between the torch and the work clamp. If you work clamp connection to the piece being welded is marginal, that will definitely affect the performance of high frequency starting.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any arc start problems with my Protig 205, but I've made a few changes to the setup. I don't consider myself to be an expert, so take this with a pound of salt.

The earlier tips of scratching the workpiece with the tungsten is a common solution regardless of the machine being used -- definitely try that / make a habit of doing it before arcing up. Otherwise, a few tips which may or may not help:

--

1) Don't use the included tungsten, people have had problems with it -- just throw it away. I get mine (2% lanthanated and thoriated in 3/32") off Amazon. If you're welding really thin stuff at lower amperage, thinner 1/16" tungsten might help with arc starts -- or just sharpen the 3/32" to more of a needle point.

2) Keep your tungsten sharp and clean. I don't ball it for aluminum, other than how it naturally balls during welding. The machine likes sharp tungsten.

3) I upgraded the work clamp to one of the brass/copper ones from HF, cheap upgrade. Also, if you're "grounding" through a welding table and having trouble with arc starts, sometimes it helps to move the work clamp directly to the piece you're welding.

4) Aluminum doesn't need it, but I think adding a little preflow helps direct the arc -- try bumping it up to ~1 second and see if it makes a difference. The turbulent initial blast of argon can sometimes mess with the arc, so you want to time the arc to start a little after it.

5) Tighten your arc. Takes less voltage to jump a small gap than a large one.

6) Always make sure you're working with clean shiny metal, both at the work clamp and where you're welding. Be sure to wipe down the filler rods too -- they're dirty out of the box and will contaminate the tungsten/weld.

7) I actually don't use the included foot pedal after getting an SSC Touch 4 finger trigger. The finger trigger isn't perfect (a bit oversized / easy to accidentally bump), but it works well enough for me, still getting better at it with practice.

--

The Protig has actually been a great little welder for me (purchased in August 2020), downsizing from a Lincoln precision tig 225. I even run a watercooled 25' superflex torch, no problems at all. I exclusively run on 220V. Currently using it to fix a rusty receiver hitch on my truck, and it's doing great.
    Last edited by dumbster; 6 Days Ago at 11:33 AM.

15. Likes shovelon liked this post