Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mig or tig aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mig or tig aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    He has this high-end machine and he doesn't know what to do with it? Really?
    Really common actually. A business buys a high end mig for one job, and then after that job the operators push it into a corner "because its too complicated" and use what they are used to.
    Eventually the business sells the machine on for a fraction of its purchase value to someone who may just like shiny things, or maybe someone serious... depends.

I bought my Lorch S3 last year, it was 8 years old, was a top end machine with a massive price tag when new, and the arc time counter had UNDER SIX hours on it. That's only one half decent size fabrication run, in EIGHT years. It was on its 3rd or 4th owner, the guy said they bought it for one alloy job and then went back to the Kemppis for steelwork. He watched in amazement as I fiddled with menu settings he'd never even seen.
    I put 2.5 arc-hours on it myself last year, and I'm only part time. One medium size alloy platform, one large steel shed frame, and a few small jobs. Nothing, really.

When talking to the dealer about the low hours, he says it's unfortunately too common. The business wants all singing all dancing with adjustable everything, but the fabricators just want to switch on and weld.

Anyway the OP hasn't been back...
    Last edited by Munkul; 01-25-2022 at 03:50 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    You are correct that you DO NOT KNOW what is a 'lot' because he/she never said and you obviously don't as well. Now just put on your thinking brain a bit. Do you really think the OP is gonna weld 3/8x3x144" bar into a T? Or corner to corner? And, where is this OP? Time and time again is time wasted by people that just have to yap about things they don't really know about in reply to someone who has ONE POST! Really?

He has this high-end machine and he doesn't know what to do with it? Really?
    Again, you clearly didn't read his post carefully.

He said: "i am looking to weld a lot of 3/8" x3" aluminum flat stock". He thinks it's a lot, and that's what matters. Clearly it's not just a couple of random pieces. He was debating adding a spool gun for his 350P versus TIG welding these projects with his Sync 200 and asked if that was suitable. So, that's the discussion....TIG or spool gun. I suggested a push/pull gun as an alternative to a spool gun but that was just a suggestion. Some of that is also because his Sync would be marginal on that thickness aluminum.

I made that suggestion because I actually HAVE a 350P and an XR AlumaPro to talk about the topic at hand and it's suitability to the projects he mentioned. Do you have either?

NOWHERE (since you like caps so much) does he say he doesn't know how to use his 350P.

So, let's see....he has a Sync 200 and a 350P. I have a Sync 250DX (and a 200 class machine) and a 350P...it's almost like I may have run into a similar project before and had to make that decision! Oh wait....I HAVE!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

3. Likes Broccoli1, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how many in "a Lot" I've not yet done a lot where I worried much about the time needed to TIG vs the time needed to MIG aluminum.

I think thin or thick stock, I want it to be 100%: TIG
    I think thick stock, it doesn't have to be pretty, fast welding, strength less critical: MIG.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I too was a kind of "Tig Only" guy and my Aluminum Mig experience was from years ago with a Spool Gun.

It's a different world today though

Synergetic, Double Pulse, Teflon Lined Gun, none of todays technology can be compared with those, old, experiences of mine. Once "Dialed-In", Mig has become a real alternative for Me now...
    We had MIG dialed in pretty good back then. We had water cooled units back then and plenty of power. The only problem that concerned me was that on long runs that most people start and stop on, we noticed in certain shaped parts that the weld upon cooling would let loose, rip material right out of the part. That would not happen if you were TIG welding. Part of the problem was the rather amazing amount of pinpoint heat we were putting into the part with very high rates of wire feed, and rather high travel rate and the shape of the part. We corrected for it but to me it seemed like each MIG weld should be looked at as a new and unique engineering type or problem.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    We corrected for it but to me it seemed like each MIG weld should be looked at as a new and unique engineering type or problem.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    That is what qualified procedures are for. Once procedures are qualified, then weldors are qualified to those procedures. Mig is an acquired taste and takes discipline to administer.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

7. Likes Munkul, William McCormick liked this post