+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 250-300 amp tig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 250-300 amp tig

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I bought the Dynasty 280DX when they first offered it. The expansion card came along after. It was talked about in the forums. I asked questions at the time. If I understand, balance controls amperage EN & EP half cycles. The card enables you to control the duration of the half cycles. In Example: 60 cycle would be 1/120 second EP- 1/120 EN amperage might be 120 Amps EN, 80 Amps EP. More honestly, it'd be expressed as a percentage.
    Amplitude gives also control of duration. Lets say you might choose 50/50 balance, but shorter EP half cycle.

We'll have to ask Shovelon or Zank about the advantages, I'm over my head.
    As I understand it amplitude does not control duration, only amp value per cycle of either EN or EP. Duration is determined by balance and perhaps waveform like Triangle. Basically you get more penetration with increased EN, and less penetration with more EP. But in either case you have to equalize the effect on the electrode with balance. I initially understood the EN bias, but took me a while to understand the EP bias. With the EP bias for less penetration the cleaning strength is profound. But better limit the duration via balance as to not melt the electrode. I get even wetting on dissimilar thicknesses like 1/32 alum sheet to 1/2" alum plate, deposit the filler, and not get suckback or overpenetration on the sheet.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    As I understand it amplitude does not control duration, only amp value per cycle of either EN or EP. Duration is determined by balance and perhaps waveform like Triangle. Basically you get more penetration with increased EN, and less penetration with more EP. But in either case you have to equalize the effect on the electrode with balance. I initially understood the EN bias, but took me a while to understand the EP bias. With the EP bias for less penetration the cleaning strength is profound. But better limit the duration via balance as to not melt the electrode. I get even wetting on dissimilar thicknesses like 1/32 alum sheet to 1/2" alum plate, deposit the filler, and not get suckback or overpenetration on the sheet.
    So balance is controlling the duration of EP? I should have known that, it's in the manual.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    So balance is controlling the duration of EP? I should have known that, it's in the manual.
    Yes, balance controls not amps, but length of time negative or positive spends during each cycle. So for american interface 70% percent balance means 70% time EN spends penetrating versus 30% EP for cleaning. If you want more cleaning increase the time cycle is in EP. EP is DC straight, EP is DC Reverse. I can increase EP cleaning without adjusting balance by increasing the EP amplitude value for a short burst.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

4. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do all of the Dynasty 350DXs come with this feature as standard?
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Do all of the Dynasty 350DXs come with this feature as standard?
    Yes they do.

7. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When looking for a used machine, think bigger. The Syncrowave 250 is probably the most popular transformer machine & maintains high resale value. But, if you look for Syncrowave 300 or 350 size, then can be found for half the price of a 250! eBay often has them for $1200-$1500. It’d mean a road trip, but worth it. I bought a Syncrowave 350 with pulser nearly 20 years ago & it’s still awesome. I believe it’s 100% duty cycle at 300 amps. I cleaned mine out really well & rewired the fan to run off 120v so it’s pretty quiet since I (rarely weld over 200A. I routinely check the air coming out the louvers after hours of welding and it’s never even been warm. An amazing machine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retearl View Post
    When looking for a used machine, think bigger. The Syncrowave 250 is probably the most popular transformer machine & maintains high resale value. But, if you look for Syncrowave 300 or 350 size, then can be found for half the price of a 250! eBay often has them for $1200-$1500. It’d mean a road trip, but worth it. I bought a Syncrowave 350 with pulser nearly 20 years ago & it’s still awesome. I believe it’s 100% duty cycle at 300 amps. I cleaned mine out really well & rewired the fan to run off 120v so it’s pretty quiet since I (rarely weld over 200A. I routinely check the air coming out the louvers after hours of welding and it’s never even been warm. An amazing machine!

I gave myself a few months to find a good used machine and yes I intended to buy a 350 if the opportunity presented itself.

thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

I found a dynasty 350 2013 with 12 hours on the screen. Full equip, cart, wireless pedal, tungsten grinder etc.
    What would be a fair price to make an offer, not easy beause of the year.

Thanks in advance for your advice .

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphm View Post
    I found a dynasty 350 2013 with 12 hours on the screen. Full equip, cart, wireless pedal, tungsten grinder etc.
    What would be a fair price to make an offer, not easy beause of the year.

Thanks in advance for your advice .

Ralph
    About half the price of a new Dynasty 400 I reckon. But the Canada model may be more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    About half the price of a new Dynasty 400 I reckon. But the Canada model may be more.
    The seller is asking for more than that and i've been tring to lower it for a few days. I wanted to validate if my evaluation was good in terms of price. Hard negotiations.

Very helpful

Thanks

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

The seller is asking for more than that and i've been tring to lower it for a few days. I wanted to validate if my evaluation was good in terms of price. Hard negotiations.

Very helpful

Thanks

Ralph
    You definitely don't want to pay (IMO) anywhere close to what a brand new warranty'd Dynasty 400 will cost that is for sure. You're not getting any warranty, and generally speaking, inverter PCB's are expensive and Miller's is no exception, I'm sure. You have to factor that into the cost in the unlikely event that one does go out.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

14. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You definitely don't want to pay (IMO) anywhere close to what a brand new warranty'd Dynasty 400 will cost that is for sure. You're not getting any warranty, and generally speaking, inverter PCB's are expensive and Miller's is no exception, I'm sure. You have to factor that into the cost in the unlikely event that one does go out.
    I understand that very well and thats why i'm trading down.

And, this morning, i heard that HTP release the invertig 301 with smart cooler, exactly in my price range (and fullfill my needs). For me, it's a game changer (IMHO). Reasonable gap between the invertig 400 and the dynasty 280dx.
    If i can't make a deal with the 350, it will become a serious option.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that very well and thats why i'm trading down.

And, this morning, i heard that HTP release the invertig 301 with smart cooler, exactly in my price range (and fullfill my needs). For me, it's a game changer (IMHO). Reasonable gap between the invertig 400 and the dynasty 280dx.
    If i can't make a deal with the 350, it will become a serious option.

Thanks
    Yea I saw that on my Instagram feed. If it's anything like my Invertig 400, which I'm sure it is, it's gonna be a kick a55 welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20220515_162326.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  67.4 KBName:  20220515_130745.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  51.4 KBName:  20220515_130702.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  43.1 KB

Thank you all for the help and the valuable advice tat allowed me to make a good decision (imo)

In a few weeks i will give feedback on the operation and the quality of welding.

Ralph

18. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a tank near full of tri mix, a product supposed to work for stainless steel MIG. MIG welding stainless for me did not work. I confess the Manager at Airgas gave me bad information that "any shielding gas works for back purge".
    I was able to trade my tank of tri mix for helium. First round, it didn't cost much at all. Refill was $80. a few years back.
    I'm sort of stingy, I save helium for when I need it.
    Welding 5/8" thick aluminum was outside the power of a 280 amp inverter TIG. I had a nasty mess when I turned it over to weld the backside, had to grind the joint & multi pass the second side. Adding 5 CFH of helium allowed me to weld cleanly & quickly half way through, then turn over & finish without an overcooked mess.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

21. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Invertig 313 or perhaps dynasty 280dx for non budget options.

Everlast's AD/DC tig box seems Ok but i've no idea how reliable it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XMilitary View Post
    Invertig 313 or perhaps dynasty 280dx for non budget options.

Everlast's AD/DC tig box seems Ok but i've no idea how reliable it is.
    Look up. He just received his Invertig 301.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the help and the valuable advice tat allowed me to make a good decision (imo)

In a few weeks i will give feedback on the operation and the quality of welding.

Ralph
    It's been more than a few weeks. Whatcha think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It's been more than a few weeks. Whatcha think?
    Hello

Sorry for the delay, the last year was a tough one, too much work, too less staff. Not enough time to play with the welder and give and honest review.
    I love the welder, it's powerful but very smooth, i don't find it more powerful than my thermal arc with the same amp. The thermal arc 186 is aggressive in a/c mode (my opinion), the 301 in comparison is linear and easier to dose at low amperage. It's easier to weld thin material and control the temperature but i never lack power with the 186 in it's range. Fan on demand is a plus, really quieter.

I try many setting with different result in a/c and good result with many of them, for now, i have not found any use for the triangular mode, good result with the asymmetric mode but it is like fine tune and

need practice and more work on the same material to experiment all the functions. I have made repairs on dirty aluminum castings with good result and and above all, good control. The better result for me i with a not too sharp tungsten.

And the pinnacle for me is the automatic water cooler and the small water-cooled torch that supports the entire amperage range without the risk of destroying the torch or burnings my fingers.

I would like to sincerely thank all those who answered my questions in order to make the most informed decision.

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralphm; 06-24-2023 at 04:34 PM.

26. Likes Oscar, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist