+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Welding

Post Thanks / Like

Welding

Can welding with a flux core and a stick welder at the same time on the same piece of metal be done without hurting the machines or the welders using them

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding

Why would you do that?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by chertzog62 View Post
    Can welding with a flux core and a stick welder at the same time on the same piece of metal be done without hurting the machines or the welders using them

Post Thanks / Like

Because I need two people welding and those are they only two welding machines i have

Post Thanks / Like

Yes..
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Freebirdwelds

yes

Dave

Because I need two people welding and those are they only two welding machines i have
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Heck yes, I've been on pipeline work with 8 machines at one time hooked up to the pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

I have metal girders that I am wilding reinforcements on that are all connected by a metal roof so if I connect the ground clamp to one girder I can weld on any one of them. If I have a smaw and a fcaw i have two different polarities. I don't want to use both of them if it's going to hurt my machines, who's helping me or myself

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks I appreciate the info

Post Thanks / Like

It is done all the time in shipyards, fabrications shops and large construction projects.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

10. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have metal girders that I am wilding reinforcements on that are all connected by a metal roof so if I connect the ground clamp to one girder I can weld on any one of them. If I have a smaw and a fcaw i have two different polarities. I don't want to use both of them if it's going to hurt my machines, who's helping me or myself
    You're trying to use one work clamp for two machines set for different polarity?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's correct

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the machines. Some machines cannot have the work ground connected to the panel ground. Some of the three phase ARC welders do not like to have their ground clamp connected to panel ground. It causes an internal element to glow. I would check it out just to make sure.

Some welders will cause the ground wire in power tools to glow red so always check out each machine. Some older ARC welders as well do not play nice with panel ground and other welders.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris. Come to think of it I never did see the actual welding machines at Midland. Did you see them? Isnt it neat now that can do a lot of that work with a machine cost less than that resistor remote had to have 4/0 cable going to. Now could do all that with small wire bout the size those little rod ovens hooked to.
    I was a sprout when we were there, wish I would have paid a bit more attn to some stuff than I did but its a little its own world for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not exact sure what William is trying to say but there are occasions equipment grounding conductors have become pathways for welding current.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Chris. Come to think of it I never did see the actual welding machines at Midland. Did you see them? Isnt it neat now that can do a lot of that work with a machine cost less than that resistor remote had to have 4/0 cable going to. Now could do all that with small wire bout the size those little rod ovens hooked to.
    I was a sprout when we were there, wish I would have paid a bit more attn to some stuff than I did but its a little its own world for sure.
    They had Lincoln and Miller for stick when I was there. The TIG machines I do not remember the brand. I spent most of my time there running an inspection crew doing weld inspections on pipe hangers. Did a couple trips hiring weld inspectors at east coast and down south. Made my own questionnaire for interviews. !st questions was to describe the sound of a SMAW welding arc. Failed 50% of them with the first question. Did hire about 15 on each trip. Mardi Gras was on and spent a couple days there.
    Last edited by milomilo; 01-09-2022 at 08:02 PM.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist