Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 67 of 67

Thread: any good knockoff welders

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    I decided to give the little $300 Hit box welder my Kid bought a chance.

    Welding up a stand for my 1/2 mill
    Even bought a new tank argon/ CO2 mix (Stargon 9?) and New roll of SuperArc 56 Lincoln wire.

    At first everything was great
    nice welds. But all of a sudden the weld goes cold like the Voltage is dropping off. Literally jamming the wire into the steel.
    Small change in Voltage seems OK again then the wire feed starts slipping Ahrrg.
    Checked work lead all Good

    readjusted - Wow weld looks great and then out of Nowhere stuttering WTH

    I finished welding the cart together by short spot welds.

    But that is IT.

    I am not going to buy any bottom dollar MIG welder.

    The ad is still up for the used Lincoln 216 with a CO2 bottle and some extras for $1500.

    I can still get a new Hobart Ironman 240 but I am just a little nervous because of some questions about whether it actually welds as nice as the previous 230 model. Also a question on it needing more Input amps than the previous model for the same output.

    I have the big Lincoln TIG 300's to stick or TIG weld anything really thick so maybe don't need all 250 amps.?
    Lots of welding to do converting some tractor FEL stuff to Skid steer Quick attach and rebuilding a Gannon Box blade. Also Lots of muscle car panel replacement rust repair to be welded in.

    I do want to have a spool gun or at least be set up to MIG Aluminum. Which makes a good case for the Ironman,

    But have actually been eying the HTP MTS 220. I am a believer that MIG is a Constant Voltage process and therefore does not need feedback or other fixes but... Man this unit looks Very Slick.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by 455dan; 01-26-2022 at 02:20 PM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    But have actually been eying the HTP MTS 220. I am a believer that MIG is a Constant Voltage process and therefore does not need feedback or other fixes but... Man this unit looks Very Slick.

    Thoughts?
    I continue to be really impressed with the HTP PP MTS 220 I bought last Fall. I'm looking forward to trying it with Silicone Bronze and am just waiting for warmer weather to put rockers on my truck

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    everlast cyclone 200e

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    2,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Some cheap machines work well. There have been new brand ones come doa. I wouldnt have a problem buying a new IM. It needs more in than the old because it puts more out. I also like the idea of using 2 knobs to set it.
    Here is a possibility. They looked at the math in production, they figured amount of inventory and introduce a new better model,,, it probably is, its heavier, its more powerful. Along the way they can eliminate a mid line product maybe,,,, have only 1 model needs it and they thought cords and hose thru with this too bu7t instead of making 2 cores they simply rob a part from Miller and put it in both machines so to speak, or parts of it anyway. Trying to make it cheaper was costing too much effort.
    Thje blue ones come with advanced features but so many other parts are shared. They sold a lot of Hobarts with Miller guns.
    The 240 is a heavy duty machine. Takes a big spool, hass hi duty, would run 045 toasty without worry if time and materials meant any money.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-28-2022 at 02:11 PM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    2,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    I was in the store with one the other dasy but in a hurry and didnt stop to look. Was north of 1800$ maybe.
    Could have tossed it in a truck right off the shelf. Its heavy, comes 8 cord, calls for 8 service wire, the heaviest 50A fac end they got with possible ception of 255 but a guy would have to look at the charts. Doesnt got to be 100% as it has a duty cycle,,, but its high.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I was in the store with one the other dasy but in a hurry and didnt stop to look. Was north of 1800$ maybe.
    Could have tossed it in a truck right off the shelf. Its heavy, comes 8 cord, calls for 8 service wire, the heaviest 50A fac end they got with possible ception of 255 but a guy would have to look at the charts. Doesnt got to be 100% as it has a duty cycle,,, but its high.
    Yeah I checked the local stores and there is a 240 IM in stock, I just finished the 1st project I had to get done but can wait till I jump into some others and waiting a few days weeks means I could get the 240 with AL gun for about $200 more than just the basic 240 locally.
    I like the portability of what the HTP would have but would need to buy an extra gun and But actually like a simple 2 dial set up of the IM
    Not crazy about the HTP single drive wheel and drive carriage whether swiss made or not. I have had enough of Inconsistent wire feed with the low buck units and the IM looks to be about as heavy duty/ rock solid as there are.
    Long term, I know parts will be available for either but the chance of a main board failure after 3 years on the HTP gives me pause. I could imagine that board being over a grand. Maybe the same is true of the Ironman but it has a five year warranty (i think).

    In the HTP's credit there appear to be some nice specialized programs that might give me better results when welding in replacement sheetmetal.
    Want this to be a lasting MIG purchase.

    For what the guy wants for what appears to be very well used Lincoln 216 It isn't that much more to get a new machine with warranty.

    Well after a bit more thinking... I really need the sheetmetal MIG work to be no 1 on the list, and for anything really heavy I will just stick weld or TIG with the Idealarc Tig 300-300

    I ordered the HTP ProPulse 220 with AL 26 gun and added the standard steel 180 amp gun.

    I Really Hope this unit works out well.

    ps. Have bought some other welding supplies through USA weld and always been great service and good quality.
    Last edited by 455dan; 01-28-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    2,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Yes,steady diet of light sheet would change my choice too. The 240 is for power, not delicate.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    Not crazy about the HTP single drive wheel and drive carriage whether swiss made or not. I have had enough of Inconsistent wire feed with the low buck units and the IM looks to be about as heavy duty/ rock solid as there are.
    The wire drive system on the HTP inverter MIGs is as good as it gets IMO. Compared to the inverter Millermatic 211 that I had, it is light-years ahead. I have a custom-made specialized 20ft MIG gun (for steel) on mine, and it works great. Take your time to read the manual, ask questions if there are settings you are not familiar with, and you'll love the machine. It's when people go "hmmm I don't know what these settings really do but this seems like a nice, even number to set it to even without reading the manual....hmmm...something is wrong with this machine, it is supposed to weld all by itself!", LOL. I've gotten PMs similar to that every now and then. Since you're doing sheetmetal, HTP offers separate liners for 023 wire if that is the wire diameter you're planning to use. I know they do for the 24-series 240A gun, but I don't have the 180A 15-series, so I'm not sure about that one. As for the machine, it's great. I've done my own at-home "R&D" on it, from corner to corner, and there's a few things I would have changed to make it a teensy weensy bit better. But overall it's a great MIG. Too bad you won't be able to pulse-weld on that 15-series gun though. Would likely smoke it (the MIG gun) real fast, lol.
    Last edited by Oscar; 01-29-2022 at 08:52 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    2,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    They been around a while, before the Everlast and most others were a wet dream.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The wire drive system on the HTP inverter MIGs is as good as it gets IMO. Compared to the inverter Millermatic 211 that I had, it is light-years ahead. I have a custom-made specialized 20ft MIG gun (for steel) on mine, and it works great. Take your time to read the manual, ask questions if there are settings you are not familiar with, and you'll love the machine. It's when people go "hmmm I don't know what these settings really do but this seems like a nice, even number to set it to even without reading the manual....hmmm...something is wrong with this machine, it is supposed to weld all by itself!", LOL. I've gotten PMs similar to that every now and then. Since you're doing sheetmetal, HTP offers separate liners for 023 wire if that is the wire diameter you're planning to use. I know they do for the 24-series 240A gun, but I don't have the 180A 15-series, so I'm not sure about that one. As for the machine, it's great. I've done my own at-home "R&D" on it, from corner to corner, and there's a few things I would have changed to make it a teensy weensy bit better. But overall it's a great MIG. Too bad you won't be able to pulse-weld on that 15-series gun though. Would likely smoke it (the MIG gun) real fast, lol.


    Hi Oscar ,

    I read up by downloading the manual after ordering on line and discovered the 180 gun in 15 foot length is not recommended for pulse and it said it might not be trouble free with .023 .
    So I thought I would leave a message on the USA weld message machine to call me or try and switch the 15 series to the 24 series 10 foot gun on Monday
    Within 3 rings I was talking to a rep ( ON a Saturday) and he fixed me right up with the 24 series gun and the shorter lead.

    I even ordered the consumable kits for both guns.

    Already Impressed with the service. They were great when I ordered a quality flow gauge a while back also.

    ps. I won't just be welding sheetmetal
    I will try it for converting my tractor to Skid steer Quick tach and hoping any steel to a quarter inch or so.
    The Gannon Box blade (some 1/2") will be reserved for 5/32 7018 and the Lincoln TIG 300 300

    ps. 2 definitely want to try some Aluminum MIG to.
    Last edited by 455dan; 01-30-2022 at 01:15 AM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Port Florida
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    look at used, miller, Lincoln, ESAB, snap-on, etc etc. Thick about a DC stick welder. you can weld most metal just by changing a rod, no gas bottles no birds nest.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    Hi Oscar ,

    I read up by downloading the manual after ordering on line and discovered the 180 gun in 15 foot length is not recommended for pulse and it said it might not be trouble free with .023 .
    So I thought I would leave a message on the USA weld message machine to call me or try and switch the 15 series to the 24 series 10 foot gun on Monday
    Within 3 rings I was talking to a rep ( ON a Saturday) and he fixed me right up with the 24 series gun and the shorter lead.

    I even ordered the consumable kits for both guns.

    Already Impressed with the service. They were great when I ordered a quality flow gauge a while back also.

    ps. I won't just be welding sheetmetal
    I will try it for converting my tractor to Skid steer Quick tach and hoping any steel to a quarter inch or so.
    The Gannon Box blade (some 1/2") will be reserved for 5/32 7018 and the Lincoln TIG 300 300

    ps. 2 definitely want to try some Aluminum MIG to.
    Good deal. the Rep you likely talked to was Jeff, the owner. He works a lot. the support is why I keep going back for practically anything and everything. I have some 8ft 24-style guns (from HTP) with teflon liners that have a rotary amp control built into the handle in case you are interested later on. Was gonna use them for an experiment but didn't. They will work with either steel, alum, silicon bronze, or cored wire. Dont forget I have the HTP group chat on Signal Messenger if you want to join.
    Last edited by Oscar; 01-30-2022 at 08:58 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    5,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    I hope you found a good welder?
    The only way you till if welder is the inside.
    More copper better the welder. Today almost all welders have copper windings on input side and Aluminum windings on the output side.
    Today comes down to weight of welder and plastic parts.
    The paint does not make any difference.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by clyde r View Post
    A little advice please. I am about to pull the trigger on a mig welder. Flux core, gas, etc. There are so many brands i'm confused. Eastwood 180, the hzxvogen 2280 , Yeswelder mig pro 250 amp mig welder, forney140,. Mostly fabrication, up to 3/8ths inch. some aluminum. no autobody work. but being able to weld light guage would be nice. 200 amp plus Lincoln or miller, hobart or esab for my simple homeshop needs costs too much. I want to do this for between 400 and 600 hundred dollars. There may be better brands that I didn't mention so what do you guys think? Can you help me narrow this down a little. I've read a bunch of reviews and now i am mostly confused. Thank you for reading.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I hope you found a good welder?
    The only way you till if welder is the inside.
    More copper better the welder. Today almost all welders have copper windings on input side and Aluminum windings on the output side.
    Today comes down to weight of welder and plastic parts.
    The paint does not make any difference.

    Dave
    Clyde R ordered a Primeweld 180 and said he would update this thread on how he likes it.

    If it works out like most Primeweld sales I think he will be happy.


    Welding 1

    If your stick welding comment was for me, I already have two TIG / Stick welders with A/C D/C and a full 300 Amps available for all processes. Although I need to buy a water cooled high amp torch for A/C TIG

    Oscar, I am ignorant on what what Signal Messenger is? I only recently left the stone age and bought a smart phone,
    So what is HTP group chat on Signal Messenger? I am interested.

    ps. Also interested in the adjustable 24 Torch although I would like to get a bit of "Basics" time on the Pro Pulse 220 first.
    Last edited by 455dan; 01-30-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    Clyde R ordered a Primeweld 180 and said he would update this thread on how he likes it.

    If it works out like most Primeweld sales I think he will be happy.


    Welding 1

    If your stick welding comment was for me, I already have two TIG / Stick welders with A/C D/C and a full 300 Amps available for all processes. Although I need to buy a water cooled high amp torch for A/C TIG

    Oscar, I am ignorant on what what Signal Messenger is? I only recently left the stone age and bought a smart phone,
    So what is HTP group chat on Signal Messenger? I am interested.

    ps. Also interested in the adjustable 24 Torch although I would like to get a bit of "Basics" time on the Pro Pulse 220 first.

    It's all good, lol. "Signal Messenger" is a mobile phone app that you should be able to download. It's like text messaging/chat-room with a group, but it keeps it separate from your main text messaging on your phone. I sent you the link in your PMs, but you have to download the app first, then open up Welding Web on your smart phone and go into your PMs and click on the link.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Just an update, HTP got the 220MTS to me Real quick, less than 4 days.

    No damage, No missing parts.

    I gave it a quick test on 1/8 steel
    It welds very nicely following the stringer style of fast, low heat input to reduce distortion in Synergy mode.
    Tried fully manual mode, NICE.
    Gave the stitch mode a try to. I Love it .

    This is going to make panel repair much easier to get very consistent multi tack welds...
    No cutting out or loss of power mid weld like the Hitbox or my tired HF 150 MIG. Very, Very, smooth feeding wire drive.

    Couldn't be happier, down the road I will get some of the Alotec Aluminum wire and try that to.

    Best way to sum up what I think of this machine ( and I know I am just scratching the surface of what all this multi MIG is capable of)- but am Super impressed with the Quality of everything, and it is a unit I can grow into with all of its unique features/abilities.

    Its a keeper for sure.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: any good knockoff welders

    Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    .Best way to sum up what I think of this machine ( and I know I am just scratching the surface of what all this multi MIG is capable of)- but am Super impressed with the Quality of everything, and it is a unit I can grow into with all of its unique features/abilities.

    Its a keeper for sure.
    And I bet you haven't even tried the steel pulse program on 90/10 gas yet...or have you?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,652,729,423.31513 seconds with 11 queries