+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air impact

Post Thanks / Like

Air impact

My CP749 quit hitting the other day and i havnt taken it apart. I was trying to get the help to do it but they about as excited as I am. I might get to it, have found the drawing so far but was gonna hit the buy button on a new one.
    I borrowed my neighbors its the mid HF one, cost 130-170 as i recall, its kind of IR clone but i am really fond of the transmission on the CP. The HF really hits and be great for tires but bolt service i like the cp. However when i look its rated 610 or something, i see other guns rated mo poop. CP make a heavier one?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air impact

I believe the Napa " professional" or Carlyle are very similar to the CP. I haven't used napa's 1/2" drive but the 3/4" drive is truly a beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    My CP749 quit hitting the other day and i havnt taken it apart. I was trying to get the help to do it but they about as excited as I am. I might get to it, have found the drawing so far but was gonna hit the buy button on a new one.
    I borrowed my neighbors its the mid HF one, cost 130-170 as i recall, its kind of IR clone but i am really fond of the transmission on the CP. The HF really hits and be great for tires but bolt service i like the cp. However when i look its rated 610 or something, i see other guns rated mo poop. CP make a heavier one?
    I like the Milwaukee 1/2” fuel impact, that thing busts bolts if they don’t turn. You have to get used to it though it is different than pneumatic. But no hoses pulled over paint, or hung up as you are walking. I have a friend that blows off the nuts on his tractors with it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Earthquake stubby rated for 700 ft lbs. I love it. It works great on nuts for me, especially the ones on my mower deck that my Craftsman couldn't move

Post Thanks / Like

when turning wrenches for years the snap-on was powerful but of the 15 mechanics in shop, 12 had the ingrasol rand. i think 731 model and rest had the snap-on. snap on tool dealer even sold then IR.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older M18 Milwaukee (maybe 5 years old),, my SIL needed to borrow it when changing blades on the 72" RFM,,
    Mine is sorta safe for a novice to use..

Well, in 2021, he bought the current M18 Milwaukee Fuel,,
    The first bolt he tightened was a Grade 5, 1/2" bolt,, without even a warning, that impact snapped the 1/2" bolt.
    If you need more torque than the Milwaukee,, you really need a 3/4" impact,

Post Thanks / Like

I see the IR that cost 125 more rated a lot higher. I have an older one i really dont like due to the fact its too hot, wants to zip like nascar. The 749 is super smooth. I like the 4 speed 4ward. It is smooth and feathers a little in R. I would certainly pay a bump ifcit had a bit more power.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-10-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the same dimentions or more compact. I can do and fit the stuff to uze straight drives, not many wobbles or u joint etc.
    I have 2 battery but they are obsolete but i need a new air one too.

Post Thanks / Like

It would also be a different matter if we were not already custom plumbed.

10. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    It would also be a different matter if we were not already custom plumbed.
    Did you use rigid pipe or the PEX to plumb?

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

I have that big boy Milwaukee 1/2" impact. Advertises 1500 ft/lbs in reverse.

A lot heavier then an air impact, plus that battery gets in the way when working on your back under a car.

With all the nice cordless electric tools out their I don't really bother with air anymore.

Air is better for some things for use, especially extended use, but my shop is not set up for a lot of air use at the moment.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Miller Econo Tig

13. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have steel pipe. If i was gonna do it again would hybrid a gouple of runs for ease of installation.
    I have an IR 3/4. I should have bought qnother CP right after i bought mine and would now have 2 guns 1/2 worn out instead of 1 all wore out and would have saved me some walking. I always said would replace it if it died tomorrow and while there might be a better gun the price is right and i been using it so long that i might never get instinctive with anything else.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-10-2022 at 05:41 PM.

15. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is smooth and predictable.

Post Thanks / Like

William, i totally understand battery but i been using this exact same tool for a long time. Its smooth enuf to watch the speed of the socket rotation and kind of find farmer tight.
    I try to turn down to one and only lightly hit a second pass on wheels especially alum. Imact its easy to overtight, alum creeps, my old battery hits like that and cant feel them up.
    We check ourselves on occasion. If i want someone to be able to field service common attatchments i have the girl helper hand wrench it tight.

18. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did 20 lug nuts the other day. 2 were off 10% 1 hi and one low and 18 a pretty even mix at 5%.
    Thats probably better than typical and on a car or truck i do with consistant csre penetrating spray during assembly. Keeps them from getting stuck.
    I have 3 fixed whips and 4 reels not incl one for paint gun with 3rd stage fil/reg. Makes for no moving parts to a couple i use a lot. This is not a hydrant system where section of hose is moved from outlet to outlet.
    The connector is at the tool, all the rest plumbed and most of the place able to overlap or come from a particular directoon. We did get in a hurry a while back and have a trip/fall where someone walk behind someone with a hose. Normally not much on the floor and almost as easy to hang back as drop on floor, reel back also.
    There is a place for retractors, some locations just as soon use manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-10-2022 at 06:09 PM.

20. Likes William McCormick, bfjou812, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO,, forget penetrating oil,, get this,,

Did I mention that I hate air hoses??

`~`

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have another unique drop kind of hard to splain and show with boom over bench and simple hanger is super good. Only wear is on a common hose and no one walks on them, drives over etc and they last a long time.

24. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never thought I'd give up my old 1/2" Blue Point either, but since I got the 20v brushless DeWalt (max's around 600 to 700 ft. lbs) I rarely pick it up. Not quite the torque of the big Milwaukee, but a lot handier to work with and I very seldom need more than 600 ft. lbs. It will break bolts if you aren't careful, but this one seems easy to feather. I've got an old 18v DeWalt 1/2" that was given to me, but the response isn't as nice as the brushless one. Even with the 20v battery converter, I like the little brushless version a lot better, it pretty much goes anywhere the Blue Point would. It was more money up front, but totally worth it.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes William McCormick, SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I never thought I'd give up my old 1/2" Blue Point either, but since I got the 20v brushless DeWalt (max's around 600 to 700 ft. lbs) I rarely pick it up. Not quite the torque of the big Milwaukee, but a lot handier to work with and I very seldom need more than 600 ft. lbs. It will break bolts if you aren't careful, but this one seems easy to feather. I've got an old 18v DeWalt 1/2" that was given to me, but the response isn't as nice as the brushless one. Even with the 20v battery converter, I like the little brushless version a lot better, it pretty much goes anywhere the Blue Point would. It was more money up front, but totally worth it.
    I need to have that destructive power of the Milwaukee or else I feel inadequate, haha. I changed about twelve tires on some Land Rovers for winter from summer, and I am getting pretty good with feeling the torque.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

28. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I need to have that destructive power of the Milwaukee or else I feel inadequate, haha. I changed about twelve tires on some Land Rovers for winter from summer, and I am getting pretty good with feeling the torque.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use my 3/4" drive Blue Point and 1/2" IR. I never used the 1/2 IR once I got my Snap-on 3/8". More torque, half the weight and 1/2 the size.

All the big equipment is gone now and these days 95% of my work is done with a cordless 1/4" impact.lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

31. Likes William McCormick, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

`~`
    With the gas engine you might not hear the train coming, haha. The Milwaukee half inch would do that easily. The 3/4” and 1” forget about it.

https://greatlakespowertools.com/mil...hoCja8QAvD_BwE

https://www.jbtools.com/milwaukee-28...BoCowsQAvD_BwE

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...8-20/312627922

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

`~`

I wouldn't mind one of these for heavy equipment work like changing cutting edges. I have a pretty good compressor on the big truck but it doesn't always keep up with the big gun. I'll have to Google that one and see what the ultimate torque is.
    I just did undercarriage on a D10 Cat and it probably wouldn't fit in most places on that. I did rent a 36 volt electric torque wrench from Sunbelt to finish torque everything. Neat tool that went to 2,000 Lb. Ft. and would do pre-torque and turn-angle too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple retracting hose reels but don't particularly like them. Like Sberry I prefer manual or just grab a hose when needed. Lots of well placed outlets help

Or string your lines overhead...

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I used to use my 3/4" drive Blue Point and 1/2" IR. I never used the 1/2 IR once I got my Snap-on 3/8". More torque, half the weight and 1/2 the size.

All the big equipment is gone now and these days 95% of my work is done with a cordless 1/4" impact.lol

I use the 12 volt 1/4” Milwaukee surge the thing is pretty cool and much quieter. It will snap things if you are not aware of the dead blow like effect.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 01-10-2022 at 07:09 PM.

36. Likes ArcTan liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist