+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Millermatic 130 help

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 130 help

New to me Millermatic 130 and I have some questions. The whip is the original GA-17C and needs a liner. It appears a liner kit for this gun is relatively expensive.

At this point would I do better to buy a M100 clone whip and just replace the whole whip assembly for a few dollars more than just a liner?

Also for general hobby welding would I do better to use .023 wire or .030 wire? I understand its a small machine but I am just doing small projects in a home shop.

Any known issues or items to check? From my research it seems these are a solid little 110v machine. No frills but a decent little welder for the home shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic 130 help

Check out HTP site. USAWeld they have what you need.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

3. Likes Louie1961, Jimmy in NC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TJS is right on. https://usaweld.com/collections/mill...miller_welders

The HTP guns are really great value for the money, and I LOVE the flexible neck feature. They are on sale right now for $105. I would go with 0.030 wire. Fewer birds nests that way. I would limit that machine to 1/8th inch thickness tops. Its really only a 90 amp machine, truth be told. As long as you don't try to weld structural materials with it, you will be fine. Double check the work clamp and cable. Upgrading the work clamp is probably a good investment.
    Miller Multimatic 255

5. Likes Jimmy in NC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a 130 and always thought it was a good machine. Before I ordered a new gun, I would blow out the old liner. Unless it is kinked or gun has other damage. It probably will be fine once it is cleaned.

If a new one is necessary then I agree with the HTP for replacement.

I like .023 wire for 1/8” but mostly use .030 for most projects.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 01-10-2022 at 04:19 PM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

7. Likes Jimmy in NC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    I used to have a 130 and always thought it was a good machine. Before I ordered a new gun, I would blow out the old liner. Unless it is kinked or gun has other damage. It probably will be fine once it is cleaned.

If a new one is necessary then I agree with the HTP for replacement.

I like .023 wire for 1/8” but mostly use .030 for most projects.
    There was a remnant of wire in the liner..it was all I could do to pull it out of the liner. I can try to feed wire into it but I imagine its got corrosion and such in it from sitting the last 11 years in storage. I'll certainly try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have pictures or can they explain how to swap from the 2" spool hub to set up for the 2lb spools? Do I need some adapters or do I just pull off the large plastic center?

Post Thanks / Like

Picture of the spool center..

Post Thanks / Like

Just take of the nut and remove the spindle adapter. put the the spool on. then the washer , spring and nut.
    For what to look for. with welder unplugged. remove the case. just look for any loose, burnt or discolored connections. Pay close attention to the large blue capacitor connections. They have a bad habit of working loose then arcing.

12. Likes Jimmy in NC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the liner out last night and it has some spots of heavy rust in the end by the gun. Snapped a picture for anyone not familiar with the GA-17C whip. The main liner is standard but the end termination is a one time use plastic sleeve. I hope to stop by ARC3 today and see what they have in stock. I see a new assembly in my future though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the nozzle and liner are obsolete from Miller.
    If you have a usable nozzle and can work the red plastic piece off the old liner.
    You might be able to cut the end off a new liner and slide the red piece on to it.
    use wire cutters to cut the liner. Never use a cut off wheel. they leave a sharp edge that drags on the weld wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    I think the nozzle and liner are obsolete from Miller.
    If you have a usable nozzle and can work the red plastic piece off the old liner.
    You might be able to cut the end off a new liner and slide the red piece on to it.
    use wire cutters to cut the liner. Never use a cut off wheel. they leave a sharp edge that drags on the weld wire.
    Local ARC3 told me to not waste my time on that gun. Said the welder is a solid unit but the gun was not. Offered me a new Miller genuine gun but I told them I was going to go HTP. They agreed that was a good option for my setup. They did order the 2lb spool adapters for me and I was able to swap my gas bottle. Now I am just waiting for my new gun from HTP.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist