Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting and running a metal fabrication business

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting and running a metal fabrication business

Oh yeah, that could look good on my resume, as it could make others feel more confident in me.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you try to get a job or self employment?

Typically when someone talking resume a job. A portfolio is for business aka line card too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCramer View Post
    Oh yeah, that could look good on my resume, as it could make others feel more confident in me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    If you are not able to drive, then doesn't that pretty much require welding and fabrication customers to come to you?
    Do you have adequate parking and space for different vehicles and equipment? How much shop space do you have? Can you have multiple customers projects in your space at the same time?
    How good are you at social media? Do you have good Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Tik-Tok accounts that are dedicated to your business? Not personal accounts. That way the customer is seeing the appropriate material. How frequently are you updating them? Do you have a website?
    Do you have business cards?
    I am not sure how they do things up there, but here you can place business cards on bulletin boards at many small businesses such as grocery stores, agricultural stores, hardware stores, welding supply stores, etc.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Chris,
    Can you answer the above questions so we can offer more advice.

I am on several Facebook groups and that have similar interests to what you are doing.
    Welding Tips and Tricks, Blacksmith for Beginners, CNC Plasma Tips and Tricks Uncensored, CNC Plasma, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Metal Art World, Art Fair Lounge, etc.

Have you joined those or similar groups? I have seen quite a few posts where people are looking for work, advice, critiques, etc. It might be a good idea to join those groups and advertise your work or services.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't drive then just tell them you are setting an example of how to be environmentally conscious. And as long a they do not relocate the shop before your next shift, then you will be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked out in the oilfield in Alberta way back when, and still talk with an old friend in Calgary. My understanding is that the oilfield is downsizing and consequently there are a lot of oilfield welders looking for work, making your quest for a job a lot more difficult. There has always been an oversupply of welders in Alberta due to the perception that it is big money. However, there is a strong interest in hunting and outdoor activities, and your knives are of a quality that they would appeal to the well-heeled outdoorsman. My feeling is that you should concentrate on building your knife-making business. There are hundreds of out of work rig welders for every job, but none of them can make knives to your standard. Stick to what you're good at and enjoy doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my work at home in our three car car garage. I have a decent amount of space, enough to put up my 3' x 4' plasma table, a welding station/ downdraft table that I built, a 4' x 8' work bench, drill press, and storage shelf. I have had several projects running at the same time. I am still applying for open fabrication and welding jobs despite my situation, because I have made some money by welding and fabricating for a construction company that my dad works for, so I haven't lost all confidence that I could find a job. At the same time, I have been trying to start something myself because of how long I'vebeentrying to find a job; and if that were successful I would begin to rent a larger facility.
    My inability to drive does require customers to come to me, that is the main reason why I opened an etsy shop, to advertise my work online a whole lot more. I can agree that my knife making could be made the primary products of my ship rather than blacksmithing in general, or metal artwork. Like you said, the artwork would sell better when brought face to face with my customers.
    I haven't ever tried to sell my work by bringing it to a market, or out into public. Other than etsy and kijiji, I have only used social media to share the projects I finish through my personal account. I suppose it would make more sense to offer them on social media instead of just sharing some photos and a description.
    I have offered welding and machining service on Facebook since I recieved my CNC plasma table but that is still off of my personal account.

Some people have requested that I make them some of the same products because they really like the designs which are all custom.
    I don't have any business cards, Linkedin and indeed are probably the only two sites that I use to share my business and experience, and to share my will to offer my help either by starting with labor, or an apprenticeship.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check out some more of those groups you mentioned, I have already joined the CNC plasma tips and tricks group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCramer View Post
    I do all my work at home in our three car car garage. I have a decent amount of space, enough to put up my 3' x 4' plasma table, a welding station/ downdraft table that I built, a 4' x 8' work bench, drill press, and storage shelf. I have had several projects running at the same time. I am still applying for open fabrication and welding jobs despite my situation, because I have made some money by welding and fabricating for a construction company that my dad works for, so I haven't lost all confidence that I could find a job. At the same time, I have been trying to start something myself because of how long I'vebeentrying to find a job; and if that were successful I would begin to rent a larger facility.
    My inability to drive does require customers to come to me, that is the main reason why I opened an etsy shop, to advertise my work online a whole lot more. I can agree that my knife making could be made the primary products of my ship rather than blacksmithing in general, or metal artwork. Like you said, the artwork would sell better when brought face to face with my customers.
    I haven't ever tried to sell my work by bringing it to a market, or out into public. Other than etsy and kijiji, I have only used social media to share the projects I finish through my personal account. I suppose it would make more sense to offer them on social media instead of just sharing some photos and a description.
    I have offered welding and machining service on Facebook since I recieved my CNC plasma table but that is still off of my personal account.

Some people have requested that I make them some of the same products because they really like the designs which are all custom.
    I don't have any business cards, Linkedin and indeed are probably the only two sites that I use to share my business and experience, and to share my will to offer my help either by starting with labor, or an apprenticeship.
    I had not looked at kijiji before so just glanced at the welding services section for Alberta. It looks like there are 137 people offering welding services there with 49 in Calgary. I assume one is yours. When you look at all those ads, you can generally see which ones are businesses and which are hobbyists. Nothing wrong with either, but take a look at how the ads are written, who they are trying help, and whether you would want them to do your work.

Are there good photos of the work they do, shop, etc? Is the shop clean? Etc.

I am not sure how it is up there, but LinkedIn is a waste of time for the trades down here.

Since you have a plasma table, have you contacted local fence companies to make mounting plates for them? How about some of the steel building companies. Have you contacted them for plasma work?

Lighted and multi layer signs are popular thing down here. Do you have a place that can powder coat your pieces? Do you have room for a powder coating oven so you can do it yourself? The two CNC plasma groups on Facebook have some excellent examples of signs. There are also some posts on there letting others know they are available for plasma and welding work. Try to show what you can do on there.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Another aspect and one of the most important is how well do you understand business and running one?

Tbone pointed out that having $100,000 come in the door does not mean you are making any way near that.

Have you taken business classes? How well do you understand tracking costs? How well do you understand business taxes? Are you tracking every mile driven, every penny spent?

I spend maybe 30% of my time behind the computer or doing aspects of running my business. The rest is in the shop making items. Can you do that or can you pay someone to do parts of that work?

Providing a service is very different from making and selling a product.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    So much of this...

I am on my phone or the computer every 5 minutes doing something that somehow relates to the business. Drives my wife/friends nuts.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the firehouse fabricators, its a good theme and works a bit on niche so to speak. I am working out an idea now, I am retirement age but need to work another shot yet and not inclined to get a real job although there is certainly the room.
    We took a cou8uple days and chaced down some yellow pages and made a nuisance, looked at new suppliers. I am trying to work out some details now so that I dont have to buy/sell the steel in this but get all the service and they get all the sales. They have a particular customer I want to synergise with, not really compete but help.
    Dave mentions this about being portable and there is always some delivery as long as its stock but I wanna rack at the supply house they do biz with to supply some shorts, rack and a band saw.
    I am getting a gc but I really dont want to go thru all the biz and in fact really dont want to do materials and can do it in trade for not having to share the service work, dont need to work for the supplier. There are some more details but the point is to find the place I really fit and that is often not always the easiest. Depends on other people and lots of them,,, they call them managers, tyhey dont always know anything about the work they do but they gaurd their positions well.
    Problem is,,,,, even though they do need me they dont and the place I like to be is where the old is kinda stuck. The problem with this over real gut wrenching hard work which I can get is that it is highly speculative and simple error can ruin it before its up to speed. I gotta be something to carry lic and ins so gonna be general or cement head,,, masonary related to some extent. The generals will let me do misses and changes. My7 plan is to sit on the tailgate, look important send helper for coffee.
    Last edited by Sberry; 02-07-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who started my business because I got tired of being **** on by other owners/managers, being a good welder doesnt mean anything. It's like saying, I build really good cars....
    well what kind of cars....
    you know all types of cars....

You need to narrow down what your good at and what you will grow into.

I started my business doing wrought iron railings because I love the layout, custom designs, definitely not the painting. But around here, it doesnt pay the bills. I got started into industrial manufacturing and food facilities and I have never looked back. I build custom machines and a lot of conveyors. I have installed machines over a million dollars. Rigged stuff off a truck that would drive some people crazy.

But it's fun as hell for me.

I have a very creative mind and I'm not afraid to do a job. In 15 years, I have over a million dollars in the business and debt free. I have 4 employees, which is definitely the hardest thing right now.

But my first year, I made 3k. Second year 7k. 15 years in, I spend time trying to spend 30k on a machine. So anyone can do it. You just have to do it.

Biggest thing, dont ever take **** from anyone. If 1 door closes, good, its closer to the next open door. You will find lots of doors closed. I find a lot of business with doors that are propped open with a stick. You'll have to be in business for a while till you figure out what that means.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. Likes tbone550, VaughnT, Lis2323 liked this post