Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What tools?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What tools?

Another thing. You have a camera? Take a few pics of welds. If i was job hunting would make sure i was sharp on vert and overhead and ready to go. I have been pushy when i was young and in places i didnt gather the pecking order, others dont have one and would let old women float to the top if they were good with a stinger.
    Reason for this,,, i can recall a minor story when i was working on the road and had a lucid moment but hired on, first morning they pair me up with a regular doing fit up. I said to him as we getting geared, how bout you fit and i weld, i done lot of this. He had but one request, dont hit the chokers, ok, by the second rod or 2 he was thrilled with this and said, the guy they send yesterday was bad and fos and he went right to the boss and said,,, leave the new guy with me, we can do this.
    The result was a bit different, that last half a day and they snatch me up for the real deal. Being good with the rod is easy way to shine a little right up front, buys so.e time to look around. I work at journeyman pay and above duri g my apprenticeship.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in steamfitters a year of my Ironwork aprentice. Work was pitiful and they leave me alone as it was 1 less guy on their books. Lots of older locals like their steady gigs and avoid big out of town contractors but thats where i really shine due to the fact there wasnt much of a click system in pla e and work was a competitive sport for some of them.
    Nothing like a day of being terrified to keep the blood pressure up, American Bridge, CBI, Ben Hur. I was elsewhere and just missed the Epcot job but the one i was on about the same, lots of diagonals, cluster connections with a view of the city.
    This was before internet and lost my pic collection in a fire, would have been great for forums.
    Last edited by Sberry; 5 Days Ago at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Them stubs is pretty long,,,,,,,,, hahahaha.
    Ok, good point about the buckets and i agree.
    Yessir! When I was learning to weld would have gotten my a$$ chewed out for that. Luckily I only have to answer to the Mrs. about wastefulness and she doesn’t have a clue what used rods should look like. 😂
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

My self all the welders I hired had tools.
    Typically in fit in a hand carry tool box.
    Never had to make list.

Machinist would want to bring to many tools. Some had a oversized rollaway and my machine shop was small.

I also hired painters and drill press operators they almost never had tools. Maybe a vise grip on there car batteries

Dave

PS: plier type vise grip I could not keep in shop. They would run away in first the month. The C type would hangar around for ever.

Another thing. You have a camera? Take a few pics of welds. If i was job hunting would make sure i was sharp on vert and overhead and ready to go. I have been pushy when i was young and in places i didnt gather the pecking order, others dont have one and would let old women float to the top if they were good with a stinger.
    Reason for this,,, i can recall a minor story when i was working on the road and had a lucid moment but hired on, first morning they pair me up with a regular doing fit up. I said to him as we getting geared, how bout you fit and i weld, i done lot of this. He had but one request, dont hit the chokers, ok, by the second rod or 2 he was thrilled with this and said, the guy they send yesterday was bad and fos and he went right to the boss and said,,, leave the new guy with me, we can do this.
    The result was a bit different, that last half a day and they snatch me up for the real deal. Being good with the rod is easy way to shine a little right up front, buys so.e time to look around. I work at journeyman pay and above duri g my apprenticeship.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 5 Days Ago at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy all the tools. Every once in a while i have had guy or 2 wanna bringvtheir stuff,,, then want me to look out forvtheir stuff that looks like mine. If we needed something we didnt already have would get it. On occasion bought something to take advantage of new skills someone came with.
    I am used to others using my tools,we have a system for it. Have had a couple masters comment, this is easier than my own tool box.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, above pic is current. 95% of everything a guy needs to do the work is visable and where the work is done. SAE wrenches in a susan also. Metric hang on that board on the cart. All the drives to the right on the cart.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Days Ago at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell some stories in my certification thread should have been blended with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe i will when i get to my pc,,, but some of that is its own world. One thing i never did was pipeline. I kind of regret that and it would have been a good fit.
    Number 1 thing i like about construction was hiring on, very favorite thing. One time i was where i was and hang out at a bar, wonder why these piledrivers didnt kill me but anyway one was a boss, they needed welders, werewelding plate on top of ibeam, all overhead, trying to get to innershield, i had done something similar, engine drive, 5/32 low hy and sae for wire, 300 as i recall .
    A blonde barmaid named dd,, ok.
    Anyway,,, i am hiring in and half strung out and he asks where i been all his life and i point to Tom and says he pulled me from the bar and i was running out of beer money anyway.
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Days Ago at 07:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So, point me to the tool crib, i simply follow along for 3 weeks, ehoops i gotta go.

Post Thanks / Like

I my shop in month I just have the tree and maybe the ice cube tray.
    I even put chuck keys with Cain on a 5 gal lid. It also put a air chuck on lid. No one put in there pocket. Even the striker was welded to cutting torch cart.

Dave

I buy all the tools. Every once in a while i have had guy or 2 wanna bringvtheir stuff,,, then want me to look out forvtheir stuff that looks like mine. If we needed something we didnt already have would get it. On occasion bought something to take advantage of new skills someone came with.
    I am used to others using my tools,we have a system for it. Have had a couple masters comment, this is easier than my own tool box.