+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I might want to certify

Post Thanks / Like

I might want to certify

Whats the cheapest way? Something simple like a 3G T,,, ha Most people dont know one from another. Its been 30 yersa since I test and it was always at someone else expense, Bechtel, American Bridge and some smaller outfits but I never pay for one myself. I wonder if our state has them,,, ha

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I might want to certify

Typically the company you work for pays for test.
    What type of welding are you doing you need a certification?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Whats the cheapest way? Something simple like a 3G T,,, ha Most people dont know one from another. Its been 30 yersa since I test and it was always at someone else expense, Bechtel, American Bridge and some smaller outfits but I never pay for one myself. I wonder if our state has them,,, ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Typically the company you work for pays for test.
    What type of welding are you doing you need a certification?

Dave
    Quite a few Community Colleges with a decent welding program will be able to test anybody for most structural building certs. Pipe is a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you are looking for. Our scrap yard used to x-ray welds PSC metals, not sure they still do they have returned my calls
    . Call local AWS chapter they likely can refer you to somebody.

Post Thanks / Like

It was in California the shop was the one that ok a welder till North Ridge earthquake.
    When I was business they still let some types of manufacturing do there own welding inspections. Like door manufacturer's 🚪.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Quite a few Community Colleges with a decent welding program will be able to test anybody for most structural building certs. Pipe is a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna check with the com col. They used to get a deal on it. I did look at aws for a few minutes, gets all pricey fast. Its just for a resume type thing. My brother is working on GC licence now and thought maybe have him run a plate or 2 to attatch to it afterward. I dont want to get too complicated, if i was younger would think about bridge.
    Every once in a while someone would ask me out of curiosity i think, i used to say, not currently but about 20 times in the past.
    I am just going to be doing some brackets. I see some of the typical stuff,,,, we will be outstanding if anyone looks.
    There was a guy on aws, Cactus maybe got a job referbing some drilling rigs that had been stacked up. Got a crew of his pipliner buds with engine drives etc and i mention, i bet the qc not a problem. I forget the number but 1000s of welds, not one cutout,,, ha
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-14-2022 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I found most work did not need a cert welder. It is basically found a cert is need in construction and pressure work.

The license steel contractor has more responsibility on overseeing the welders.
    He the one that buys the rod or wire for job. Also he the that gets the notes from state. Like this one in late 1970's solid wire can be used for metal buildings

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I was gonna check with the com col. They used to get a deal on it. I did look at aws for a few minutes, gets all pricey fast. Its just for a resume type thing. My brother is working on GC licence now and thought maybe have him run a plate or 2 to attatch to it afterward. I dont want to get too complicated, if i was younger would think about bridge.
    Every once in a while someone would ask me out of curiosity i think, i used to say, not currently but about 20 times in the past.
    I am just going to be doing some brackets. I see some of the typical stuff,,,, we will be outstanding if anyone looks.
    There was a guy on aws, Cactus maybe got a job referbing some drilling rigs that had been stacked up. Got a crew of his pipliner buds with engine drives etc and i mention, i bet the qc not a problem. I forget the number but 1000s of welds, not one cutout,,, ha

Post Thanks / Like

I understand i dont need it. Its simply pre emptive when someone asks. I see a couple things i wanna do and others do sloppy by semi skilled welders.
    I rebuilt a tank in a chemical plant. I bid the sandblast and the paint then they asked me about the welding. They didnt ask about any paper work but there were some patches and brackets for stairs right at eye high. I was more regular then but i lo/hy some big fat shiney beads you had to run right in to.
    I knew the maint guys in the joint, i welded it out and saw them walk on by later. My bud said they went back to their shop and said,,,, you wanna see some nice welding go look at that. Ha. Next day came around and ask us to bid a couple other things. They never did ask about any paper.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked for AB a little and got a couple referals from one boss to another etc. I can think of 3 or 4 times i work a month before they figure out they didnt test. I been around enough i can find the gang box and make myself at home fast. When i was slumming some i would watch the new hires. 2 hours in and i am full blast, others still got their hand on the tape 2 weeks later.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others here part of the skill is to show up and blend immediately, i can glance around a place and have a good idea where the tools are and what we are doing. On occasion when signing in if there was an ornery old fart boss i jump on that right away,, hey, how bout letting me look at the pichures of what it is we building here so i know if you old timers got it bacwards or upside down.

Post Thanks / Like

Myself and another but were the lightest guys on the job. There was plenty to go around but we had to brace up after a hairy accident they had and the ornery fart told one of the apes that was also a bud to go behind my skinny azz and tighten the bolts for sure. The gorrila said, he asked me to check, i said they tight, he said yes, i said go tell old timer that. Ha
    So old timer comes up one day,, says, you strike that cable and i gonna blow your balls off. He shows me a dbl barrel derringer he carried in his pocket. I climb off my perch and said, you outa shoot for something fatal, i open my box and had my 9mm in it,,, ha

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist