+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still build their own cnc plasma table anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone still build their own cnc plasma table anymore?

Im in the dreaming stages of a cnc cut table, i do have a local shop that will cut for me quickly but still a day plus and as i get older i shake worse and cant see as well, and the freehand cutting ability is getting worse. so im dreaming of a table something i could put a 4x8 sheet on and also run oxy on i have been watching auctions and tables seem pretty steep for old electronics A new one is in The 25000 range easliy. So anyone build there own? and what software and hardware systems work well together?. Im a non electrical inclined person but i can figure it out though going to have to learn it eventually though.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone still build their own cnc plasma table anymore?

Check out member acourtjester.

He gas made a bunch

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Been trying the search but not working for me used to be a lot of build threads to research through
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you wanting to cut?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    Im in the dreaming stages of a cnc cut table, i do have a local shop that will cut for me quickly but still a day plus and as i get older i shake worse and cant see as well, and the freehand cutting ability is getting worse. so im dreaming of a table something i could put a 4x8 sheet on and also run oxy on i have been watching auctions and tables seem pretty steep for old electronics A new one is in The 25000 range easliy. So anyone build there own? and what software and hardware systems work well together?. Im a non electrical inclined person but i can figure it out though going to have to learn it eventually though.

Post Thanks / Like

There is always these things. Disclaimer-I don't have one. I've never used one nor seen one in the flesh. I don't know if they are any good or not. Just another option. Others will have opinions and if you(we) are fortunate maybe someone has some actual experience with one. Oh yes, I am not affiliated in any way with the manufacturers or the vendors.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Effe...%2C605&sr=8-11
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have made 9 tables and am working on another, If you send me a message from here I will help you with the info you need. You can build a table for the price of the amazon cutter, Plus the plasma unit. If you can follow instructions it is not hard and there is plenty of help from other too.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

7. Likes idacal, Lis2323, whtbaron, 52 Ford, Drroaster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

idacal, check out 'My 5x10 plasma table build' here on WW by Pugs_. I don't know if this qualifies for the "still build ... any more" 6 years later part of your question, but it's a build I bookmarked for future reference.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/5...ma-table-build

9. Likes idacal, arcflash, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I built one. I used Precision Plasma rails and gantry kit 4 x 8. I used CandCNC package. If I were to do it again I would not use them. I use it on most every repair, sign job or project I have.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    I built one. I used Precision Plasma rails and gantry kit 4 x 8. I used CandCNC package. If I were to do it again I would not use them. I use it on most every repair, sign job or project I have.
    Would you not use the gantry kit or the CandCNC package? I used the CandCNC package on the table I build and have been satisfied with it. Built my own gantry.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great and simple to build

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by el bob View Post
    idacal, check out 'My 5x10 plasma table build' here on WW by Pugs_. I don't know if this qualifies for the "still build ... any more" 6 years later part of your question, but it's a build I bookmarked for future reference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluCllrPlt View Post
    Would you not use the gantry kit or the CandCNC package? I used the CandCNC package on the table I build and have been satisfied with it. Built my own gantry.
    I would NOT use CandCNC again.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

14. Likes BluCllrPlt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I 75% built mine. Mostly because it’s a 2x4 with metal storage racks below it for 24x48 sheets all to accommodate my space situation.

Used gantry plates made by STV CNC and lifter made unfortunately by wright CNC.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2014 I build a CNC plasma table using steppers and a cheap USB motion card. Last week we finished building ourselves a XYZA CNC welder. We used Ethercat Leadshine Closed loop steppers and ball linear bearings. This thing moves!! It is so much faster and quieter than the stepper driven table, and the budget for the electronics was amazingly economical. The technology available to the CNC DIYer has advanced tremendously in the last 5-10 years. I think with right gantry design this CNC package could reach laser speeds and acceleration.Name:  IMG_0808 (2)_LI.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  191.1 KB

17. Likes BrooklynBravest, Munkul, wmgeorge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&M Welding Inc View Post
    In 2014 I build a CNC plasma table using steppers and a cheap USB motion card. Last week we finished building ourselves a XYZA CNC welder. We used Ethercat Leadshine Closed loop steppers and ball linear bearings. This thing moves!! It is so much faster and quieter than the stepper driven table, and the budget for the electronics was amazingly economical. The technology available to the CNC DIYer has advanced tremendously in the last 5-10 years. I think with right gantry design this CNC package could reach laser speeds and acceleration.Name:  IMG_0808 (2)_LI.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  191.1 KB
    That looks commercially made. Beautiful job.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    That looks commercially made. Beautiful job.
    Thanks. It's been a dream of mine for the last 2 years. I finally designed it in Solidworks and got started building about 2 months ago. It's still a work in progress, but as we fix all our mechanical issues it gets better. This week we added another gear reducer to the A axis, and we are installing a D/F Machine water cooled 600A gun. The Bernard just wasn't holding up.

Post Thanks / Like

It ain’t much, but she works well and paid for itself many times over.

Mind you, i was able to use an existing plasma table to build this one. But with websites like SendCutSend now you can do anything on your own.

The material storage was the biggest factor for me.

Name:  BEAAEC9B-17FE-4F71-A09D-402E150E247C.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  206.1 KBName:  C5EE76AF-C241-4A8E-B774-C1BA3B80679B.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  195.2 KB

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

21. Likes TJS, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice table 👌

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    It ain’t much, but she works well and paid for itself many times over.

Mind you, i was able to use an existing plasma table to build this one. But with websites like SendCutSend now you can do anything on your own.

The material storage was the biggest factor for me.

Name:  BEAAEC9B-17FE-4F71-A09D-402E150E247C.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  206.1 KBName:  C5EE76AF-C241-4A8E-B774-C1BA3B80679B.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  195.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by el bob View Post
    Did you ever get any pipe/tube cutting footage? I did not see any in that build thread.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a simple one I put on my DIY table, works great.
    testing the rotational movements.
    actual cutting operation.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

25. Likes Lis2323, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey acourtjester,

Thats pretty cool how you used an ink pen to do a test run on paper prior to running the cuts. This would allow you to detect and fix any issues prior to starting the actual cuts. Pretty clever

Do you know if there is a good good place to learn online about all the different components and circuits used on a CNC plasma table and how they all work, how to wire them as well as test the individual circuits?

I’m stuck at trying to figure what THC, Motor controllers, motors, motor drivers, PSU’s etc that I want to use as well as software. There is UCCNC, MACH3/4, LINUXCNC or something like that etc as well as several others. I have no idea if Mach 3 can run the 4th or 5th axis to do tube / pipe cutting.

I definitely want THC and not sure how to build it to incorporate free floating head. Ohm mic will also be incorporated. I’m just not sure what does what. Limit switches prevent crashing the gantry and torch while Ohm Mic detects the surface of work. Just not sure of all the specifics with how it all works.

My understanding at the moment is the THC circuits measure arc voltage. Not sure how the voltage diveder works or if the ohm mic ties into the THC controller and how. I recently purchased the 14 pin CNC port for the TD 60i as well as a machine torch SL100SV but am still kind of lost and hoping there is some literature online somewhere that can help destigmatize all the unknowns so I have a better idea how to move forward with choosing all the components to make a good build for my uses.

Not sure how many axis the machine actually requires with a tube cutter in the equation.

I have been thinking of a way to use one motor for “ X axis ? ” with a rod that goes through the top of the gantry that only requires one motor to drive that rod. From there both sides then could have geared pulley / belt system to drive both sides of the gantry with the final movement output as geared tracking so it would be easier to maintain a square gantry with only one input to that axis. Does that make sense? Sound over complicated or too expensive?

As far as movement , I understand there is belt, gears with teeth to teeth “don’t recal the name” and Screw type

Then the glides for the tracking where to begin “head explodes” trying to figure it all out at once.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-17-2023 at 03:20 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I definitely want THC and not sure how to build it to incorporate free floating head.
    I'm sure if you get enough THC, you'll think your head is free floating...

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

28. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't already have experience with using CAD and CAM and want to learn about running a CNC machine, you might want to pick up a benchtop laser cutter/engraver.

Something like this, maybe: https://www.amazon.com/Engraver-Fixe...A3JZGB4TAKCL7H

Or this? https://www.sainsmart.com/products/j...gn=sag_organic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I'm sure if you get enough THC, you'll think your head is free floating...

Huh? Not sure if you are messing with me or are serious. Free floating as I understand it can be spring loaded ( light springs for easy movement that won’t knock torch off of the magnetic or other breakaway system ) to allow the movement to reach a limit switch with normally closed circuit so the machine stops driving the torch into the material. As far as I understand it, with out free floating you don’t have the ability to stop the machine via limit switch on torch movement to prevent a torch crash or torch from popping out and off of it’s perch.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-17-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    If you don't already have experience with using CAD and CAM and want to learn about running a CNC machine, you might want to pick up a benchtop laser cutter/engraver.

Something like this, maybe: https://www.amazon.com/Engraver-Fixe...A3JZGB4TAKCL7H

Or this? https://www.sainsmart.com/products/j...gn=sag_organic

Why? I’m already going to have a problem finding a home for a plasma table. I don’t need more crap just to teach me something I can learn on the plasma table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Huh? Not sure if you are messing with me or are serious. Free floating as I understand it can be spring loaded ( light springs for easy movement that won’t knock torch off of the magnetic or other breakaway system ) to allow the movement to reach a limit switch with normally closed circuit so the machine stops driving the torch into the material. As far as I understand it, with out free floating you don’t have the ability to stop the machine via limit switch on torch movement to prevent a torch crash or torch from popping out and off of it’s perch.
    Weed joke.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist