+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappy Oreilly Rebuilt Starters

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crappy Oreilly Rebuilt Starters

I put one of their rebuilt steering gears on my F250 work truck and about 6 months later I was turning a corner and the pitman shaft seal and snap ring popped out and puked out all the fluid.
    Last edited by bigb; 01-21-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

What I have interpreted from this thread is Ford vehicles seem to be the common problem 🤣

3. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    What I have interpreted from this thread is Ford vehicles seem to be the common problem ��
    It's just that some of us drive old stuff and by the time most of it is old it is only the Fords that survived!
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

5. Likes whtbaron, California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    It's just that some of us drive old stuff and by the time most of it is old it is only the Fords that survived!
    That's a good one. What I see is the 99-07 gm trucks still on the road and demanding top dollar. Most of that era Ford vehicles already have been crushed due to engine failures or frame disintegration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I wouldn't use rebuilt brake parts for that reason. I tried a couple of different vendors for the 4R100 tranny's behind the 7.3 powerstrokes, Ford remans were the only ones that held up in the AMBOS. It's sad because I could have rebuilt the trannys but there was no time or room, I only had a one useable bay at the time, the other one had parts lockers and EMS sh1t in the way.
    I drive a Ford E-350 its a bus actually, and I get original ford rotors, pads, and calipers when needed. What nice braking, I probably get about two years out of them but if I used other pads I would not get a year out of them. So for me it is worth it. No noise, no vibration when you are turning and stopping they are great. The State Troopers here use exit ramps that are blocked by trees, to stop cars for seat belts. I watch someone exit I do not see him brake so I get off and as soon as I do I see a line of cars being stopped to see if they are wearing seat belts. I had to lock up the brakes to stop. I just do not see that as being interested in my safety.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 01-22-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    That's a good one. What I see is the 99-07 gm trucks still on the road and demanding top dollar. Most of that era Ford vehicles already have been crushed due to engine failures or frame disintegration.
    You cannot beat on a GM like you can a Ford no way no how. Fords take a beating. If a Ford dies it performed its duty. GM cannot take potholes or deep hidden speed bumps caused by puddles. Fords will throw a battery or destroy a battery but nothing happens to their suspension. The GM is never the same. The GM protects the battery but the truck is done.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 01-22-2022 at 09:51 AM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

9. Dislikes CAVEMANN disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My bud was telling me the other day,,, Denny gets in the truck, drives it 8 years without replacing brakes, change drivers and 2 sets a year. Wonder whats the difference and how much searching the world over for parts would help? Got to wonder how some of us can use what the parts man hands us and some so special it doesnt work for them?
    Some people are obviously different from others. But Oreily sells lots of stuff that works, I am not sure how they are really a lot different from other jobbers. Most now have such good tracking they stop selling stuff that comes back. A forum can tend to make it seem like a lot of failures but I think the trend is increasing a little. I just replaced a replacement fuel pump I did in July and have recently had a couple of the first issues with this. Until then cant recall replacing a replacement part for 20 years. Before that more common, recently appears on the upswing. Back in jthe day so many expensive parts need replacement, now you can buy a slave cyl for 300 or one for 65$, turns out the cheap one looks the same and has outlasted some of the pricey ones.

11. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this on other forums. "I dont wanna do it again" so they simply toss money at it like that is the answer, then it isnt 6 months later back with "I just cant understand". They had searched the world, done a lot of "research" which sould go in to the list of overused words and gonna do the same thing again where if they would have simply put 2 new white box rotors and the cheapest pads on would still be driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    You cannot beat on a GM like you can a Ford no way no how. Fords take a beating. If a Ford dies it performed its duty. GM cannot take potholes or deep hidden speed bumps caused by puddles. Fords will throw a battery or destroy a battery but nothing happens to their suspension. The GM is never the same. The GM protects the battery but the truck is done.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I used to own a Ford, then I got a job, that aside I have seen plenty of suspension parts fail. The exception probably being the old K-30 straight axles. I actually did destroy a battery in a 99 gmc Sierra when I hit a deer at a pretty good speed. As for suspension parts failure( on anything for that matter) it's usually on trucks that are lifted and or running aftermarket wheels. Combine that with crappy aftermarket parts, it's what you get.

14. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently running 2 Ford trucks, 2 IHC's , a Dodge, a Toyota RAV4 and we have run a Chevy pickup in the past. They all worked reasonably well, and they all had days that made me curse. Brand bashing in my opinion is just a waste of hot air...well... unless we're talking tractors and that's a whole nuther story....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

16. Likes 12V71, bead-boy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no brand loyalty here. Since the early 80's I've been through 25+ trucks, mostly 2500 to 4500 class. Fords, Dodges, and GM, most all of them were government surplus with service bodies usually with 70K ish miles on them. The last 2 new trucks I bought were Fords in '99. An F250 4x4 and an F350 4x4 crewcab and that was only because the fleet price was right.
    Oddly enough I'm still driving the old '98 Chevy K3500 with the 6.5L Turbopowerless diesel. Not to jinx myself but it's almost to 300K miles with very little trouble and has not led a pampered life.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an 01 gmc 1500, bought it with 44,000 miles drove it until about 175,000, never touched the brakes and they were still about 50% when I traded it. The way a vehicle is driven has a lot to do with a lot of the different systems on the vehicle. I used a lot of rotors from NAPA on the AMBOS, E350, 450 & F350's and a lot of their brake pads, never a problem as long as I used their premium metallic or ceramic pads, the 97 SUBURBAN 20500 was a different matter, the brakes on that thing SUCKED, it was a hydraboost unit and never seemed to work right, it was back to the dear numerous times for them to try & fix it, I finaaly ordered a set of HIGH DOLLAR performance shoes, drums , pads, rotors and calipers on the guarantee that it would fix it, the rear shoes lasted less than a month, front pads about 2 month's, and the brake performance was no better.For all practical purposes that SUBURBAN should have been a buyback, but the idiot boss just let it slide & bitch at me about it, it was out of waranty when I started there.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

19. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Chevy field truck was an early 80's square body. Worked good upright, not so well upside down. I will say the Chevy's in those years rode a lot nicer than the Dodges or Fords.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

21. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I don't really have much bad to say about just about any vehicle I have ever owned. Partly it's in how you take care of them. I've had a few that really shined, just never broke. Then a few where I wasn't super happy about the cheap plastic parts on them, but mechanically never really been let down, just stuff like starters, water pumps, batteries etc. I did burn through some transmissions in my muscle car days but that was my doing.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

23. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    My bud was telling me the other day,,, Denny gets in the truck, drives it 8 years without replacing brakes, change drivers and 2 sets a year. Wonder whats the difference and how much searching the world over for parts would help? Got to wonder how some of us can use what the parts man hands us and some so special it doesnt work for them?
    Some people are obviously different from others. But Oreily sells lots of stuff that works, I am not sure how they are really a lot different from other jobbers. Most now have such good tracking they stop selling stuff that comes back. A forum can tend to make it seem like a lot of failures but I think the trend is increasing a little. I just replaced a replacement fuel pump I did in July and have recently had a couple of the first issues with this. Until then cant recall replacing a replacement part for 20 years. Before that more common, recently appears on the upswing. Back in jthe day so many expensive parts need replacement, now you can buy a slave cyl for 300 or one for 65$, turns out the cheap one looks the same and has outlasted some of the pricey ones.
    I am on Long Island NY and we beat our equipment no doubts about it. Our roads are Swiss cheese, they over salt. People talk on their cell phones, people wait till the exit ramp ends and just turn onto the expressway it is a special place, you have some people doing 45 and others doing 75 on the same road, so you have to hit the brakes hard, often. If time is not an issue then yea I can get great gas milage, great brake wear. But if my time is worth something then I am going to push the limits of the vehicle and I do. I just keep it like new with factory parts and never seem to have any troubles. I haven’t had an accident in over 30 years, I have got hit from behind once. I used to go in and out Manhattan two or three times a day or the Bronx or Queens or Staten Island.

When parts wear I replace them with factory parts. This is supposed to be America where money is no object. And do not get me wrong I find myself tempted to shop for lesser products but I avoid the temptation now, time and reality have taught me otherwise. Used auto parts are like the scab workers they keep the union in line but you really do not want to have to hire the scab workers. I get it but for me it would just be wrong to put in parts that are not up to factory specs. And if you look at the prices of the parts directly from Ford they are not really that bad anymore. In fact if I pick them up they are often cheaper than buying on E-bay. I know some service stations use Ford parts now because of the points I mentioned. There is no time here, a single mom needs her car today not tomorrow when you can get a second alternator from the parts house. It used to be the auto parts stores were saving the gas stations money that is not really the case anymore so the gas stations are going to Ford and GM directly as well as the other car companies. It just doesn’t pay to do the work twice for the service stations anymore.

Sincerely,

Wiliam McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Juist because its psychological doesnt mean its not real. I was welding contractor on a plant setup did work for Delco. Some of the worst junk I ever see shoved in those boxes, some they knew didnt work when they put it in there. Smarter workers soon learned which levels the qc for useless as it was looked and they hide them to get around it. One of the 2 starters I warrant was so called factory replacement, the name on the box doesnt impress me all that much.
    BTW,,, yes, I understand the crap roads and traffic, I know people drive terrible and if you dont go get ran over.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-23-2022 at 11:45 AM.

26. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I was still working I ordered ALL my alternators and starters, and the very few turbochargers I ever had to replace from TURBO & ELECTRIC just off of GRAND avenue & 23rd Avenue in phoenix, Joe Fargostein was the owner, he would rebuild, sell rebuilt or sell new, at the time I could buy 3 new alternators(ford 7.3 with 2 alternators) for the price of one rebuilt from FORD. Never a problem!
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yeah, no brand loyalty here. Since the early 80's I've been through 25+ trucks, mostly 2500 to 4500 class. Fords, Dodges, and GM, most all of them were government surplus with service bodies usually with 70K ish miles on them. The last 2 new trucks I bought were Fords in '99. An F250 4x4 and an F350 4x4 crewcab and that was only because the fleet price was right.
    Oddly enough I'm still driving the old '98 Chevy K3500 with the 6.5L Turbopowerless diesel. Not to jinx myself but it's almost to 300K miles with very little trouble and has not led a pampered life.
    I worked with a guy in New Mexico that spent thousands trying yo fina set ou 6.2,6.5 liter heads that weren't cracked.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I worked with a guy in New Mexico that spent thousands trying yo fina set ou 6.2,6.5 liter heads that weren't cracked.
    Yeah, the early ones had problems with cracking heads when they got overheated. In '97 GM went to a bigger water pump and a dual thermostat housing that fixed some of that. My kids had a couple of 6.2L half tons, the oldest daughter had hers overheat and crack a head. Just for fun we dumped it full of Bars Leak and the goofy thing ran for another year and a half still getting 23MPG.
    When my 6.5 dies the truck is going to the wrecking yard. Ashes to ashes and all that.

30. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can save it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the money... we have the technology...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

34. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's your problem

Post Thanks / Like

Sucks about the re-man shops not doing good work.

From 1986 to 2000 the only re-man starters and alternators I bought were from the same broken down old shop, by the tracks, behind the grain elevator.

I didn't have one failure.

They closed for 2 weeks during deer season, so you had to fix your broken huntin' rig before that

In my memory, they never fixed the front steps in all that time - last time I went there, the one was still cracked and sloping down.

One other thing about that place, they would buy all the starters and alternators I had laying around from working on vehicles.
    Even brought a trailer load in once, bought it all. They priced them all one at a time based on value to them.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

37. Likes bead-boy, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

502 fix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    502 fix
    New or rebuilt?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist