+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappy Oreilly Rebuilt Starters

Post Thanks / Like

Crappy Oreilly Rebuilt Starters

Replaced the starter on the 1 ton a few days back.......think it was maybe a week ago. It sounded like crap when it worked........grinding. Started the truck, and I need the truck.... I figured that it might be normal for a rebuilt, or maybe it was a reduction starter. Hell..........I dunno.

Today, OF ALL F'N DAYS, it just ground, and didn't engage the flywheel.

Name:  starter1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  203.5 KB

Name:  starter2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  starter3.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  213.4 KB

I looked for the broken pieces in the bell housing, and couldn't find a thing............I mean nothing!

I'm thinking it was broken before I put it in, or at least cracked. I didn't look at it when I installed it. Or the bearing seized, and the torque ruined it.

Today was almost 60*, and tomorrow is supposed to get down in the 20's, so I pulled it out before the weather set in. I hate the cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crappy Oreilly Rebuilt Starters

So, I'm thinking the flywheel might be ruined. I don't have it in me to do a major teardown just now.

Name:  starter4.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  242.7 KB

Name:  starter5.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  224.1 KB

Name:  starter6.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  208.8 KB

I'm thinking I might have dodged the bullet. Doesn't appear to have any badly damaged teeth, just a bit scarred. The clutch is at least 14yrs old(dating from when I bought the truck, not actual age), and it's getting funky........the throwout bearing is getting real noisy. I figure it's a replacement job in the future, but not now. If I replace the clutch, it's an automatic new flywheel. Nobody grinds flywheels anymore I guess............it's a replacement job these days. Buy a new one along with the new clutch. Crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through 6 or so oreilys starters in a couple years on an old f150. They would failed rapidly. Not engage or rough engage. It finally went away when I adjusted my timing.

There were a lot of attempted remedies that did not work. the srarter was getting excessively hot, too. Timing was what worked excessive heat went away.

At least I only paid once. Oreilys said they failed becaused.i did not use oem replacement bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day so many got in to it remans got really bad, had to change asnd quit buying them.. They they got a lot better and went 20 years without a faulty one, lately a new rash of junk not too long out of the box. Just had a fuel pump installed in July dump.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of junk parts out there for sure, I went through some crap starters before I got smart and started to have them rebuilt at my local starter/alternator shop. As to the flywheel grinding, the way starters have to push the drive gear forward into the ring gear or flywheel while they are already spinning doesn't always work out so well. On the 7.3 it is not uncommon for them to grind, especially on certain spots of the ring gear where the engine normally comes to a stop. Mine does it occasionally and I have considered changing to a manually (electrically) operated solenoid to engage the drive gear fully before cranking (like the old days when there was a foot pedal to engage the gear except make it electric), a few guys have done it. Makes a good theft preventative measure as well.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

6. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fix a lot of starters and alts. They make reman, rebuilt and new. New has been better most of the time. If I can fix them I do, if they need every new part in them then replace.

Post Thanks / Like

I quit buying Dixie or Dixco rebuilts a few years back because they were so poor. Not sure if they ever improved their quality. I've had "reasonably" good luck with the Bosch stuff, but I did have the snout snap off one after a couple months. They started to tell me they didn't replace them for that because it was a sign they weren't being shimmed properly. Hello... it's a Ford... no shims. They replaced it and it's been working for years now.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

9. Likes CAVEMANN, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I either rebuild the starter my self or buy new.
    I got tired of reinstalling bad rebuilds.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Replaced the starter on the 1 ton a few days back.......think it was maybe a week ago. It sounded like crap when it worked........grinding. Started the truck, and I need the truck.... I figured that it might be normal for a rebuilt, or maybe it was a reduction starter. Hell..........I dunno.

Today, OF ALL F'N DAYS, it just ground, and didn't engage the flywheel.

Name:  starter1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  203.5 KB

Name:  starter2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  starter3.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  213.4 KB

I looked for the broken pieces in the bell housing, and couldn't find a thing............I mean nothing!

I'm thinking it was broken before I put it in, or at least cracked. I didn't look at it when I installed it. Or the bearing seized, and the torque ruined it.

Today was almost 60*, and tomorrow is supposed to get down in the 20's, so I pulled it out before the weather set in. I hate the cold.

Post Thanks / Like

I was working for NAPA over the summer of 73 after I graduated high school, I had a customer come for a starter for a GM vehicle, I pulled the starter off the shelf & brought it out to the counter & opened it up for the customer to look at, I gotta tell ya that it's embarassing as hell to open up what was supposed to be a rebuilt starter only to find a used starter or core that never got rebuilt. While working for the Ambulance I found a source for new alternators and starters for a fraction of what FORD charged for their remans, and there were no cores to mess with.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

12. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they just forgot to clean it before putting in box.

I found a lot of rebuilt auto part are half a#%%$ done.
    I would never but rebult carb the pins wearout and the rebuilds never fix the problem just clean and new gaskets. Still bad carb but clean.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I was working for NAPA over the summer of 73 after I graduated high school, I had a customer come for a starter for a GM vehicle, I pulled the starter off the shelf & brought it out to the counter & opened it up for the customer to look at, I gotta tell ya that it's embarassing as hell to open up what was supposed to be a rebuilt starter only to find a used starter or core that never got rebuilt. While working for the Ambulance I found a source for new alternators and starters for a fraction of what FORD charged for their remans, and there were no cores to mess with.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like the bushing in the nose is missing!

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Looks to me like the bushing in the nose is missing!
    Yeah, it's completely gone, along with most of the casting around it. Never did find any pieces in the bell housing.

Post Thanks / Like

They gave me another starter today. Guess it's lather, rinse, repeat

18. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They gave me another starter today. Guess it's lather, rinse, repeat
    Make sure they gave you one for standard transmission!
    The the nose of the previous one looks like it was hitting flywheel teeth sometime in the past.
    The starters are different between standard and automatic trans!
    Since you said "It sounded like crap when it worked........grinding" my guess is the bushing wasn't there to begin with!

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New starter works!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not right........no cover on the bearing end,, but it works. Think I can make a little cap for the bearing. Pics later.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  starter8.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  184.6 KB Judging by the end plate, the second starter is a genuine Ford core, not like the other. Engages smoothly, and just whirs as it turns the engine over. Nice.

But.............there's no nose cover to keep the bearing grease in the bearing, and dirt out. Need to pull it out, and make a cover out of plastic, and silicone it on the end. Simple little circle cut in stiff plastic ought to do. I believe there was supposed to be a cup pressed in as part of the bearing assembly. These remans are pure junk, but at least this one works.

23. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like O'Reilly's, order most everything from rock. Starter is heavy to ship plus I needed it now so I bought from O'Reilly's.
    Been so long I can't remember, works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I do buy from O'Reilly's but they buy rebuilt from third party's.
    This where problem is for all retailers.
    What we need is a good rebuilds not a rebuild cleaning. The parts are not tested under load.

Good luck
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TomA View Post
    I don't like O'Reilly's, order most everything from rock. Starter is heavy to ship plus I needed it now so I bought from O'Reilly's.
    Been so long I can't remember, works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  starter8.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  184.6 KB Judging by the end plate, the second starter is a genuine Ford core, not like the other. Engages smoothly, and just whirs as it turns the engine over. Nice.

But.............there's no nose cover to keep the bearing grease in the bearing, and dirt out. Need to pull it out, and make a cover out of plastic, and silicone it on the end. Simple little circle cut in stiff plastic ought to do. I believe there was supposed to be a cup pressed in as part of the bearing assembly. These remans are pure junk, but at least this one works.
    Maybe or maybe not. This is my spare backup starter for my 7.3 I had rebuilt by my local starter exchange and it appears to be either a cover or a bushing/bearing that fits into the bell housing, It's been awhile since I changed it and I can't remember.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bigb; 01-21-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

27. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went through 3 rebuilt master cylinders they were all DOA, none of them worked on my F-150 so I went to Ford and never had another issue. Fords prices are higher but their stuff is better.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Awhile back I need an alternator for a 2017 GMC pickup. On a Saturday afternoon... Go to O'reillys, it lasted a month and a half, Needed a water pump for another one... 6 months. I no longer use their services.

30. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the Major parts stores, Carquest & NAPA especially have created a down line to compete with O'reillys and Autozoneand they're about the same quality, BUT even NAPA's ECHLIN line doesn't seem to be the quality it once was. ACCEL was part of ECHLIN & ECHLIN had high performance pignition parts that were identical to ACCEL, right down to the gold plated points & condensers, but were somewhat cheaper. We had access to all of ECLINS specs & could match parts numbers to verify.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I went through 3 rebuilt master cylinders they were all DOA, none of them worked on my F-150 so I went to Ford and never had another issue. Fords prices are higher but their stuff is better.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I wouldn't use rebuilt brake parts for that reason. I tried a couple of different vendors for the 4R100 tranny's behind the 7.3 powerstrokes, Ford remans were the only ones that held up in the AMBOS. It's sad because I could have rebuilt the trannys but there was no time or room, I only had a one useable bay at the time, the other one had parts lockers and EMS sh1t in the way.
    JEFF

33. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still wear are Carquest & NAPA buying the rebuilt parts.
    I think if retailer has give a 4 year warranty and replace part in the truck would fix the problems. They make certain the part was rebuilt and tested.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    All the Major parts stores, Carquest & NAPA especially have created a down line to compete with O'reillys and Autozoneand they're about the same quality, BUT even NAPA's ECHLIN line doesn't seem to be the quality it once was. ACCEL was part of ECHLIN & ECHLIN had high performance pignition parts that were identical to ACCEL, right down to the gold plated points & condensers, but were somewhat cheaper. We had access to all of ECLINS specs & could match parts numbers to verify.

Post Thanks / Like

Took me years to get away from autozone because of the lifetime warranty...had to get a different vehicle.

Tough to justify spending more cash when you can replace one for no extra cost.

I know this one will be better... Autozone, here's your replacement... and repeat

36. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist