Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Multimatic 255 vs SW200 and 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multimatic 255 vs SW200 and 210MP

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Maybe consider making it wider or kicking the back wheels out a bit. Its 80 lbs of machine, I would hate to see that cart tip over. Also, you will likely want to go with bigger bottles of gas at some point for the economy of it.
    All comes down to space unfortunately. It’s actually wider than my current cart.

That’s 22” wide i think in my drawing. Might put the 255 on the bottom if anything.

That’s as big as she can be. Gas bottles too. I don’t fill the gas enough for it to matter. Extra $180 a year maybe for the smaller tanks. It’s tax deductible lol
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-21-2022 at 09:51 PM.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Might order this thing and build a cart once I have it in front of meÖ

Is it a bad time to order it? I know itís up like $500 in priceÖ not sure if thereís an expected sale.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I don't think welders are coming down in price anytime soon, and sales are likely going to be more infrequent IMO.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

If it is not in stock. It may take two months to get it delivered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    If it is not in stock. It may take two months to get it delivered.
    They’re in stock allegedly.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

After having owned both, I'll take the 255 every day and twice on Sunday. Its a better machine. Ignoring the pulse feature, the arc quality is nicer and has a wide range of adjustability with the inductance setting. Short circuit MIG with 90/10 on the 255 feels just as nice as the MM252 with 75/25 gas. Settings like pre flow and post flow are easier and quicker to access. And the autoset feature works pretty well in short circuit.
    fair enough
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased mine from Baker Gas. At the time they were cheaper than anyone else by $100, and the had them in stock. I really liked dealing with them. The unit ships on a pallet via tractor trailer. It is packed as three boxes on the pallet. Don't bother with the lift gate fee. My driver was kind enough to un-pack the pallet for me in the truck, and the heaviest box is only like 90 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, I definitely recommend 90/10 argon CO2 mix for this welder. I was not able to find anyone in my area that sold tht gas in small tanks. It was 330 cu ft tank or nothing at all. You need 90/10 to do spray and pulse. You are wasting your money if you buy this and run it only on 75/25. Check it out up front before you order the machine, since it will impact your space considerations.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, I definitely recommend 90/10 argon CO2 mix for this welder. I was not able to find anyone in my area that sold tht gas in small tanks. It was 330 cu ft tank or nothing at all. You need 90/10 to do spray and pulse. You are wasting your money if you buy this and run it only on 75/25. Check it out up front before you order the machine, since it will impact your space considerations.
    My welding place will swap my tank with any other tank as long as they carry it but I’ll call and ask today thanks for that heads up.

Debating pulling the trigger today and I’d just put it on a furniture dolley while I build the cart.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say, if you do mostly MIG, you are going to REALLY love this machine. But it is really petty freaking awesome at stick welding as well. I am guessing that you will be buying some longer stick welding leads for it soon! ;-)
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I will say, if you do mostly MIG, you are going to REALLY love this machine. But it is really petty freaking awesome at stick welding as well. I am guessing that you will be buying some longer stick welding leads for it soon! ;-)
    The Millermatic doesn’t stick weld i don’t believe.

Side note, you’re correct they only carry 90/10 in 330cu. Which is a problem for me most likely.

I’ll need to measure when I get home and see what potential I have to just upgrade to man size bottles.

Whats the diameter on the full 330 tanks, 9.25 or 9.5?

Is it a MUST have for the 90/10? Truthfully I’ll be barely using spray. I don’t work over 3/16 and 1/4 much and it’s non structural.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-22-2022 at 09:56 AM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    The Millermatic doesnít stick weld i donít believe.

Side note, youíre correct they only carry 90/10 in 330cu. Which is a problem for me most likely.

Iíll need to measure when I get home and see what potential I have to just upgrade to man size bottles.

A proportional argon /cO2 gas mixer would solve this problem.

Search Oscarís posts for his builds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    A proportional argon /cO2 gas mixer would solve this problem.

Search Oscarís posts for his builds.

but do I even need to worry about this if im not really using spray?

I want a third tier on this for a drawer etc.
    Name:  MM252 Cart v10.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  20.2 KB

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a MUST have for the 90/10? Truthfully Iíll be barely using spray. I donít work over 3/16 and 1/4 much and itís non structural.
    It's not that it's a must, it's simply a gas mix that the machine has specific programs for the several various transfer methods Louie mentioned, which makes it a very versatile gas mix. Even if you don't do much over 3/16" or ľ", if you don't get to experience it's pulse-MIG capability, you'll never see how great it is to run. While some had issues running pulse-MIG on it, Louie seems to have figured it out on that machine if I'm not mistaken.

I think what Louie and I are trying to say, is that if you don't take advantage of it's pulsed-spray program, it's a waste of a machine, or at least a good chunk of it. It's like short-circuit, just wayyyyyy better because it is 99.99999% spatter free. Both the workpiece and the nozzle stay very, very clean when setup and ran correctly.
    Last edited by Oscar; 01-22-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

15. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Millermatic doesn’t stick weld i don’t believe.

Side note, you’re correct they only carry 90/10 in 330cu. Which is a problem for me most likely.

I’ll need to measure when I get home and see what potential I have to just upgrade to man size bottles.

Is it a MUST have for the 90/10? Truthfully I’ll be barely using spray. I don’t work over 3/16 and 1/4 much and it’s non structural.
    If you get the 255, then yeah, I really do think the 90/10 is a must. If you aren't going to use the spray/pulse MIG features, I wouldn't bother with the 255. Its a waste of money in that case. Go with something like a used MM252, a new MM235 (for $1500 less) or a new Hobart Ironman 240 instead. It doesn't make sense to step up to the 255 if you aren't going to use the spray/pulse MIG feature. Millermatic 235 will give you everything you want for $2500.

That being said, refer to Oscar's last post. Pulse MIG is where its at.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I want a third tier on this for a drawer etc.
    Name:  MM252 Cart v10.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  20.2 KB

Get the 235 instead of the 255 and that cart will still work fine. The two models are dimensionally identical if I am not mistaken.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to be careful of/to consider when building a cart. If you look at the cart that Miller offers for the 255, it seems like they struggled with the weight of a big bottle (330 cu ft style) versus the weight of the machine itself (or more correctly the LACK of weight). Miller had to stretch the cart out and tip the bottle forward to keep the cart from doing wheelies.

Name:  Millermatic255CartWG.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  33.7 KB
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

And be careful what you order. There is a Millermatic 255 for $3500 that is MIG only and a Multimatic 255 that is MIG/Stick/DC TIG for $3999. For my money the stick and DC TIG function is well worth the extra $499, but that's up to you. You mentioned that the price was $4000, but then you said you weren't getting the stick function. I think you may have been looking at the model WITH the stick function if the price was $4000.

But if you want to stick with the 75/25 gas, go with this unit instead, I think you will be very happy https://bakersgas.com/collections/mi.../miller-907780

Yes its a multiprocess welder, but it fills the gap on amperage between your 210MP and something like a MM252 or MM 255
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

This might help

Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

And be careful what you order. There is a Millermatic 255 for $3500 that is MIG only and a Multimatic 255 that is MIG/Stick/DC TIG for $3999. For my money the stick and DC TIG function is well worth the extra $499, but that's up to you. You mentioned that the price was $4000, but then you said you weren't getting the stick function. I think you may have been looking at the model WITH the stick function if the price was $4000.

But if you want to stick with the 75/25 gas, go with this unit instead, I think you will be very happy https://bakersgas.com/collections/mi.../miller-907780

Yes its a multiprocess welder, but it fills the gap on amperage between your 210MP and something like a MM252 or MM 255
    To clarify, i would get the MIG only Machine and keep my TIG machine for now.

If I’m buying a machine, regardless if I can use all features now I’d rather buy once for the future. I’m only saying where i am another 2 years maybe.

But I’ll evaluate if i can fit the big bottle later tonight though when I am home.

Can anyone confirm the diameter of it?
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-22-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify, i would get the MIG only Machine and keep my TIG machine for now.

If I’m buying a machine, regardless if I can use all features now I’d rather buy once for the future. I’m only saying where i am another 2 years maybe.

I’ll evaluate if i can fit the big bottle later though.

OK, no problem. Just trying to do a solid for a brother and make sure you have all the information needed to make an informed decision. I used to be IAFF too, in my youth.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

OK, no problem. Just trying to do a solid for a brother and make sure you have all the information needed to make an informed decision. I used to be IAFF too, in my youth.
    I certainly appreciate it. You guys are always a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I would love use the big cylinders I just don't know if its possible in my space. The amount I have crammed into a one car garage already I am quite proud of... The new press brake is already pushing the limits.

The reality is I do enough business to rent a space but it would be more practical in my region to buy a bigger house and pay a giant mortgage than rent on a commercial space I don't own.

I dont have customers coming to me I sell internationally online so a real commercial space isnt a requirement. The issue is I do commercial work in tiny space though... I'll have to take a pic of how packed it is later.

My welding supply said call Tuesday the boss is in he’ll tell you if we can special order smaller sizes of C10.

I may place the order for the machine today regardless.

Heres a comparison of gas bottles/cart size. The depth is less a problem than width. My current cart is 18" plus whees wide. This would be 23.5 plus wheels for the 330 bottles.Name:  MM252 Cart v10.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  25.1 KBName:  MM252 Cart v11.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  23.3 KB
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-22-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I donít know if this pic helps you or not but this cart has small bottles but will accommodate taller (larger diameter)

:

25. Likes BrooklynBravest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't use spray. Probably benifical if your doing repative parts in a fixture situation. Dial shield wire( as the OP has found out) is where it's at when it comes to heavy material. If you do want to spray transfer 90-10 isn't your only option. A steel tri mix gas , commonly referred to as " stargon" would also work well and I have seen it it the smaller cylinders. As for cylinder diameter, I have seen both slightly over 9" and 9.5" cylinders. The suppliers by me don't really have an exact " standard" for cylinder size as I'm sure they are dealing with several thousand accumulated over time. Maybe redesign the cylinder rack with a bolt on bracket allowing for the dual cylinders you typically run and then a separate bracket for the 330 cylinders. Many suppliers will rent a cylinder for when a specialty gas is needed. I have rented argon- helium blend for one off heavy aluminum work and tri mix SS blend for some mig stainless work, so that's another option. The 255 seems to be a good option but in my opinion the gun sucks and would need an upgrade to a Bernard gun right off the bat.

27. Likes BrooklynBravest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Personally I don't use spray. Probably benifical if your doing repative parts in a fixture situation. Dial shield wire( as the OP has found out) is where it's at when it comes to heavy material. If you do want to spray transfer 90-10 isn't your only option. A steel tri mix gas , commonly referred to as " stargon" would also work well and I have seen it it the smaller cylinders. As for cylinder diameter, I have seen both slightly over 9" and 9.5" cylinders. The suppliers by me don't really have an exact " standard" for cylinder size as I'm sure they are dealing with several thousand accumulated over time. Maybe redesign the cylinder rack with a bolt on bracket allowing for the dual cylinders you typically run and then a separate bracket for the 330 cylinders. Many suppliers will rent a cylinder for when a specialty gas is needed. I have rented argon- helium blend for one off heavy aluminum work and tri mix SS blend for some mig stainless work, so that's another option. The 255 seems to be a good option but in my opinion the gun sucks and would need an upgrade to a Bernard gun right off the bat.
    I think the debate at hand was more based on being able to use pulse mig with c10.

Why do you feel the gun sucks? Iím holding one in my hand right now and feels solid? This one is off the MM215 at work.

Name:  D79B379F-B5FD-4740-A08F-CF0ED3C30515.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  113.0 KB

But i donít think itís a waste to buy a machine I can grow with later. Iíve had my 210 for 5 years now itís served itís time.

Iím finger on the trigger right now for the Millermatic 255 and keeping my square wave for now.

Mostly not sure if I go with cyberweld for the free spare helmet and roll of wire or Baker for $75 off.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-22-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.