+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multimatic 255 vs SW200 and 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Multimatic 255 vs SW200 and 210MP

Considering replacing my two red machines with 1 blue.

Pointless or not a bad move?

I really dislike the hobby style gun on the 210MP

At the top range of the 255 i may trip my breaker but I’ll never really use it.

Edit: actually looks like the 255 only has lift start DC Tig, wtf?
    Looks like the multimatic 220 does everything, why the hell doesn’t the 255

The 220 has the cheap gun though. Which is a major turnoff.

https://bakersgas.com/products/miller-907728
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-20-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multimatic 255 vs SW200 and 210MP

220 is AC-DC but really not more amperage than your mp-210. The 255 is really a mig welder that can also do tig and stick, like your mp210. With the miller 220 you could replace the 2 Lincoln's but I don't see much gain. I understand from what your building that having a higher output mig machine would be a huge benefit. Perhaps keeping the Lincoln 200 tig and getting the miller 255 would be the best option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    220 is AC-DC but really not more amperage than your mp-210. The 255 is really a mig welder that can also do tig and stick, like your mp210. With the miller 220 you could replace the 2 Lincoln's but I don't see much gain. I understand from what your building that having a higher output mig machine would be a huge benefit. Perhaps keeping the Lincoln 200 tig and getting the miller 255 would be the best option.
    Its more of a consolidating space/gaining a little more juice thing.

I don't understand the engineering of it obviously but why they wouldn't make the 255 with 220 features is strange to me. Miller has no problem charging the price for it.

Not sure if what I want exists. At least at the level I'd be willing to pay.

The real thing I want is a more "commercial" level machine. The 210MP and SW200 are like the border of that line on the hobby side.

The 220 as you said really would have no gain for me. Its the same thing in one unit basically as what I have. It also has the hobby level miller gun.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Hobart 210MVP (less fancy version of the Lincoln).
    It came with a stiff 10’ whip.
    I bought an HTP 12’ whip and it’s much more flexible.
    The 210 has worked well for me.
    I always drool when in the LWS so I’ll watch this thread.

(I also have a, bought new, 40 year old Hobart Beta Mig 200 that still works well for me.)

Post Thanks / Like

Zach, I think the focus on the 255 is the pulse MIG feature. With this machine you would weld aluminum with MIG or pulse MIG. This machine is basically an upgrade of the MM252, and it is well suited to auto body work. They actually sell a 255 auto body package with three different MIG guns: One for steel, one for aluminum, and one for silicon bronze. If you do a lot of aluminum this pairs well with the push pull guns. The price difference between the Millermatic 255 and the Multimatic 255 (at least when I bought mine) was only $500. So you get a REALLY good stick welder, and a decent DC TIG welder for the extra $500. That's not bad. I guess the question for you is, do you really TIG a lot of aluminum and do you need to? Because if you mostly work on steel, stainless, etc., OR if you can get by with MIG on aluminum, then the Multimatic 255 is really the only welder you need. On a side note, I love that I can do short circuit MIG, spray MIG and pulse MIG all with the same gas (90/10)
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, for me, I had a Syncrowave 250 and a Millermatic 252 before I got the Multimatic 255. I found that I used the Syncrowave mostly for stick welding. For the projects I work on I rarely TIG welded anything and I never do anything with Aluminum. I also loved the MM252 as a MIG welder, especially the ability to run larger wires, gas shielded flux core (dual shield), etc. I probably use MIG for 99% of the stuff I build/repair. So for me, it made sense to move to the Multimatic 255. I sold off all my old welders to pay for the new one and I don't miss the Syncrowave at all. Pulse MIG is really cool, you can basically do spray transfer in all positions. Nice tool to have in the arsenal. I love my MM255 but everyone's needs are different. The MM 255 may not be for you.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Zach, I think the focus on the 255 is the pulse MIG feature. With this machine you would weld aluminum with MIG or pulse MIG. This machine is basically an upgrade of the MM252, and it is well suited to auto body work. They actually sell a 255 auto body package with three different MIG guns: One for steel, one for aluminum, and one for silicon bronze. If you do a lot of aluminum this pairs well with the push pull guns. The price difference between the Millermatic 255 and the Multimatic 255 (at least when I bought mine) was only $500. So you get a REALLY good stick welder, and a decent DC TIG welder for the extra $500. That's not bad. I guess the question for you is, do you really TIG a lot of aluminum and do you need to? Because if you mostly work on steel, stainless, etc., OR if you can get by with MIG on aluminum, then the Multimatic 255 is really the only welder you need. On a side note, I love that I can do short circuit MIG, spray MIG and pulse MIG all with the same gas (90/10)
    Unfortunately I do TIG aluminum here and there so not having the AC is a bit of a deal killer.

In theory I could keep the SW200 and ditch the 210MP but I really don't want to have both machines in my way.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you would be a bit surprised at the size of the MM255 once you put the cart on it. I think it takes up more room than the two machines you have now. So if saving space is a criteria, the MM255 may not be best for you.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Well you would be a bit surprised at the size of the MM255 once you put the cart on it. I think it takes up more room than the two machines you have now. So if saving space is a criteria, the MM255 may not be best for you.
    Sounds like my dreams are shattered until I have a bigger shop space

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm firmly of the opinion that it is best to have one machine for AC/DC TIG and one machine for MIG. At least one of them will do MMA as well anyway.

None of the AC/DC MIG/TIG/Arc do-it-all machines strike me as being very good at any one process... at least, not for the cost of them.

Having said that, the Resab Rebel 205 or multimatic 220 will have at least as good an AC arc as the SW200 which is a really really budget basic machine...
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I'm firmly of the opinion that it is best to have one machine for AC/DC TIG and one machine for MIG. At least one of them will do MMA as well anyway.

None of the AC/DC MIG/TIG/Arc do-it-all machines strike me as being very good at any one process... at least, not for the cost of them.

Having said that, the Resab Rebel 205 or multimatic 220 will have at least as good an AC arc as the SW200 which is a really really budget basic machine...
    My issue with the square wave is it has little to no adjustability. It also wastes a ton of gas on the non-adjustable post flow.

Other than that, I'm an acceptable TIG welder at best so it does what I need to do.

I mostly want a more industrial level MIG because I use that almost daily.

The 220 would get me both machines with a little more TIG adjustment into one package but for whatever reason it has the lowest level MIG gun, which is what I am specifically tired of on the Lincoln.

Its odd how they do that stuff, considering the multimatic 200 has the better gun at a lower price point inside of a ****ty fake pelican box. But obviously there is a reason.

Next question, whats the main differences in the Millermatic 255 and the multimatic 255? They're the same price it seems.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-21-2022 at 11:50 AM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Sounds like my dreams are shattered until I have a bigger shop space

Well if it cheers you up at all, once the weather warms up a bit you are welcome to come try my machine out. I am about 2 1/2 hours from you in CT.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it cheers you up at all, once the weather warms up a bit you are welcome to come try my machine out. I am about 2 1/2 hours from you in CT.
    Honestly Im not opposed to getting a millermatic 255 and keeping the SW200.

I just don't know if it will fit my cart, which I have a lot of love put into making.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Another huge bonus is you would be able to run 12" spools. Much better selection and lower cost per pound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Another huge bonus is you would be able to run 12" spools. Much better selection and lower cost per pound.
    I'd really like to buy it.

The issue right now is literally space/the cart.

I'm really fond of this cart I would be sad to ditch it. As you can see, space is at a premium...

I could certainly build another cart easily and make up the space by moving the rod guard tubes. That cart was pre-CNC plasma cutter. So I could step up my game too I suppose lol.

Name:  IMG_4315.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  200.3 KBName:  IMG_4316.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  194.8 KB

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Very kind offer but I'd sooner pay $4000 to try it at home than drive 2.5 hours.

i hate driving lol
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-21-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Very kind offer but I'd sooner pay $4000 to try it then drive 2.5 hours.

i hate driving lol
    That would be FIVE hours r/t and I'm with you! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

18. Likes BrooklynBravest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh.

I’m designing a new cart tonight. It’s time…

Should be super easy to plasma cut the shelves out honestly vs how I did it last time.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can squeeze it into your shop space at all, i think you should forget the 255 and go with a 252...tried and trusted industrial quality mig set.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can squeeze it into your shop space at all, i think you should forget the 255 and go with a 252...tried and trusted industrial quality mig set.
    Unfortunately i can’t fit something that isn’t Cart mounted.

I’m also a millennial who needs my fancy color screens.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

After having owned both, I'll take the 255 every day and twice on Sunday. Its a better machine. Ignoring the pulse feature, the arc quality is nicer and has a wide range of adjustability with the inductance setting. Short circuit MIG with 90/10 on the 255 feels just as nice as the MM252 with 75/25 gas. Settings like pre flow and post flow are easier and quicker to access. And the autoset feature works pretty well in short circuit.
    Miller Multimatic 255

23. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pulse-MIG is where it's at. I just finished off my last tank of C25, and got another argon tank on the exchange instead. Now I'm only gonna run 90/9/1 for pulse-MIG on steel. Cleaner, better depth of fusion.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Im going deep...

I’m on my laptop so it’s a bit annoying to do finer details like the casters etc. I’ll get there.

Name:  MM252 Cart v9.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  16.2 KB
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 01-21-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe consider making it wider or kicking the back wheels out a bit. Its 80 lbs of machine, I would hate to see that cart tip over. Also, you will likely want to go with bigger bottles of gas at some point for the economy of it.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe consider making it wider or kicking the back wheels out a bit. Its 80 lbs of machine, I would hate to see that cart tip over. Also, you will likely want to go with bigger bottles of gas at some point for the economy of it.
    X2

* edit. ^^^ I agree. Not saying double the size. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist