+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silicon Bronze TIG welding over chrome

Post Thanks / Like

Silicon Bronze TIG welding over chrome

Hi, I have a crack in the joint of the exhaust on my '48 Indian Chief. The exhaust is chromed. It is on an edge and the metal is fairly thin, so I'm wondering if I can (1) TIG braze it (silicon bronze) over the chrome, (2) carefully grind off a small amount of the chrome and braze it, or (3) grind it and TIG weld it, which would likely require replating the whole piece. What is attractive to me about brazing is that it is done at a lower heat, so I'm less likely to burn the edge, and it would look good enough as well. Being an old twin, it shakes a lot, but I've largely fixed the shaking problem on the exhaust and think the brazing should be strong enough. Of course, if I screw it up, I can still get a new part and it isn't the end of the world, but it would be good to fix it. Thanks for any guidance on what will work, and exactly how to do it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silicon Bronze TIG welding over chrome

Are you a decent welder and do you have access to a good MIG machine? If so, you might want to read the article whose link is below, and consider using that technique.
    Back when I was learning how to do most things, from catching lizards and snakes, to mechanics (fixing 3-speed hubs > rebuilding engines), to welding or bee-keeping, there was no internet to pose questions on. If it couldn't be found in a manual or some other book, usually the best was to find out if an idea worked was to try it. Even if you know it will, often practice gives better results on the final, real attempt. Any chance you could use some similarly plated scrap to play with?
    And of course, take pictures...lots of good pictures... then post them here, 'cause we always like good pictures to both entertain and educate us, plus to prove it actually happened!

https://www.car-o-liner-us.com/wp-co...con-Bronze.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

I'd start by asking your chrome shop what they recommend as far as a base weld to rechrome over. I don't know if SiBronze is problematic for rechroming or not.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

4. Likes frieed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

and be sure to wear appropriate PPE. Hexavalent Chromium is not something to be taken lightly. Even if you can't see fumes, doesn't mean it isn't vaporized and released into the air.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a flex joint?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist