Thread: What does does 15 min job look like?

Post Thanks / Like

What does does 15 min job look like?

I hear this often from potential clients... "Got a small welding job", "need some tack welds" "should take a few minutes..."

I have not encountered a true 15 min job...

I suspect it would be a job from a fabricator who has done everything, but weld?

???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does does 15 min job look like?

I had a secretary from a logging outfit call me up, their genius was elsewhere and they got a quick job, I know her and know she is fos most of the time anyway,,, well cant you just to get them going like she absolutely knows anything about it, big mess, oil all over, I tell them they can have it back next day for 800,,, that end their idea of quick jobs. guts ripped right out of a rotator. They were upset I just couldnt tack it back so they could get going. I told her, send the men home and can pick it up in morning but they went marching off. I aint messing with them no matter how much stuff they got.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a buck for every "quick fix". They all get the same treatment: 2 hour minimum and travel time. If they bring it to me for a "quote", it goes in the "quote pile" or stays on their truck.

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned to never be available for a new customer with a 15 min job. It's either a horrible job or someone who went let you leave.

Like fixing galvanized boat trailers... that's code for run because the galvanized is the only thing holding it together anymore and when you strike the arc, you blew right through it and made the job worse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes kjemison1966, BillE.Dee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    I've learned to never be available for a new customer with a 15 min job.
    I'll tell you a funny story about that. BTW, before I start this, I'm not knocking your quoted sentence as a general untruth. I think it's mostly true, and I've wasted time on 15 min jobs before, but I rarely hear, "15." Usually it's a 5 minute job in my area.

Anyway.

Years ago I went down to my local 1-man machine shop to pick up a $40 part he was making for me. (LOL) So I walked in the door, and in the course of our conversation he asked me if I wanted to do a 5-minute job for somebody who had called and asked him to do it. He'd written their number down and then tossed it in the trash. They wanted a jack coupler welded onto a little trailer so they could put a new style of jack on it. I was slow that day, so I said sure. My machinist buddy dug through his 30-gal trash can and gave me the #.

I get back to town, I call the number. I go and weld the jack mount on for my minimum labor charge, which is a flat fee not tied to hourly rate, plus mileage. I get a call from this same customer a few weeks later....could I come weld a patch on this truck bed? Sure, why not? Another minimum charge, another mileage fee. These days I probably get about 30% of my gross income from this customer, who's still with me all these years later.

But that's not the end of the story.

This customer had business dealings with another business who happened to ask my customer if they knew anybody who could weld a patch on *their* truck. Like a 1 hour job. I got the referral, and I went and did the piddly little job. A few days later, could I come to their new facility and did I know anything about attaching new dock plates? Well, yes I did. One thing led to another, and nowadays that second customer accounts for 50% or so of my current business.

And it all started because I went to my local 1-man machine shop for a $40 part.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, this is a process and i give most people a fair chance.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a famous line at work when a boss comes in and says I have an easy job, all you have to do is take a few bolts off. Then I normally reply with all it takes is one bolt to mot bust loose with an impact and turn into a big ordeal. Ha. Happens all the time 15 minute job turns into an hour or more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just need a hand to get some metal lined up...
    Name:  z1886_141.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  40.0 KB
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

10. Likes Lis2323, tapwelder, 12V71, BillE.Dee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Lined up"! If you are any kinda' welder you could just bridge that gap.

12. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Write the invoice on a tack weld.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    LOL, get some coat hangers and schmutz it in there with Texas tig!

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a 3 hour minimum to me, plus parts or materials. Iíll go do them but itís made clear Iím charging you for all 3 hours. If you can fill that time that is fine too but Iíll not be held around bsíing for it. If you donít have work to do Iím off to the next quick job. I try to pile them into one day or several days in a row for multiple clients. Sometimes you can make a great day out of it. Other times you end up opening a can of worms. Always charge a minimum though. I always tell them ďit cost me just a little less than I charged just to get hereĒ if there is ever any fuss. There is never any fuss twice though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Minimum charge makes sense.

Even if the work actually takes fifteen minutes

It takes fifteen minutes to:

Talk to them
    eyeball it
    get your stuff out and ready to go
    do it
    clean up after
    write up a bill
    remind them to pay the bill

Overhead

18. Likes drillerjoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post

Talk to them
    eyeball it
    do it
    clean up after
    write up a bill

Overhead
    My minimum charge comes out to $255. I have found this to be enough that they generally put a few things together but not so much that they are discouraged from calling me for that 15 minute job. The fact that pretty much every ranch or individual that I do work for is about an hour drive down a crummy caliche road which is about 20 minutes from my house. So, to get to that quick job is nearly a 3 hour round trip.

20. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most shops have minimum invoice amount.
    I had no minimum but I almost never did a invoice under $1,000.
    If I did any job under 1 or 2 hours I just did if free. But that might have happen 1 to 2 a year. Most of the time it was over $5,000.00 for invoice and not worth it for a hour of work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post

Talk to them
    eyeball it
    do it
    clean up after
    write up a bill

Overhead

Post Thanks / Like

I get a few customers at my shop with a "quick" weld, wont take five minutes... Seems like I end up BS'ing for 10 minutes or so, those little walk ins usually I charge 40 cash. Some customers want me to bring my rig over for a couple of tack welds on their 5th wheel. I tell them I have a 3 hour minimum @ 130 p/h, that will be 390 plus material and tax. They just keep on rambling on how to fix it and how it will only take 5 minutes. I rarely go weld at some ones house, usually to many dangerous chemicals or its in their garage. I really only get mobile for General Contractors or commercial business.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

If a shop location you have walk-in wanting some done cheap.
    I myself had shop out in the country behide a lock gate with dogs 🐕.
    No walk-ins.

Mobile welding it cost time just drive to site that is minimum charge.

A 15 minimum job cost the shop more time than 15 minutes or time takes to write a invoice.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

fella called about the frame on his pickup. F model with box frame. Garage wouldn't inspect it due to rust. Some time ago another guy welded some metal to the lower flange and got it done. Brought the truck to my place, I crawled under and everywhere I touched it, it went away. I followed the issue up behind the spring hanger, along the fuel tank to the front door. I explained the situation and let him make up his mind. I then went to other side and found the same. He decided to look into new vehicle. 15 hours wouldn't have covered it let alone 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll do the "little" job for guys that I've dealt with over the years. If they've treated me right, I'll do it on the cuff.

I don't take cash, I take hay bales. Bales seem to be worth less to the seller than to the buyer. I make out good. Hay means a lot to me. Everyone winds up happy at the end of the deal.

I also don't do this on a schedule. I do it when I get time to do it..........which cuts down on the number of guys who want it done. Any of y'all that know me, know that I get work done at a glacial pace Live with it, or take it down the road. We all have our quirks

26. Likes wb4rt, Lis2323, shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are truly one minute jobs. When the customer says that I tell him or her to come back later and I have a 30 minute minimum charge. If he or she balks I point him to the hack welder up the street. They usually leave the part, then I catch them and have my helper weld it while he or she waits. That truly satisfies my mean streak.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

28. Likes leightrepairs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    There are truly one minute jobs. When the customer says that I tell him or her to come back later and I have a 30 minute minimum charge. If he or she balks I point him to the hack welder up the street. They usually leave the part, then I catch them and have my helper weld it while he or she waits. That truly satisfies my mean streak.
    Iím highly considering having a minimum charge out rate for any job less than an hour long. I have done plenty of 15 minute jobs. In most cases the jobs are to repair damage to machined surfaces on parts or building up damage or mods on injection moulds.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the only 15 minute job I ever had was a 1/2" weld on a patio chair that I didn't have to grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    Iím highly considering having a minimum charge out rate for any job less than an hour long. I have done plenty of 15 minute jobs. In most cases the jobs are to repair damage to machined surfaces on parts or building up damage or mods on injection moulds.
    Do it. I don't think there's a decent reputable shop around that doesn't.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Fake news = 15 minute job