Thread: Weldanpower 225 idle issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Weldanpower 225 idle issue.

Ok. Brand new to the forum, so let me start by thanking you all in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I recently picked up a basket case weldanpower 225 code 8551. The guy claimed he took it in on trade and had no idea if it even ran. Brought it home pulled the skin and gave it a good cleaning. Went thru the carb, replaced fuel lines and really bad gas. Cleaned the tank, new plug and battery cables, changed the oil, and polished up the slip rings. It fired right up and produces good 110v power. Hooked up a couple of leads and burned a little 1/8 6010 no issues. ButÖ. It idles down fine, but will not idle back up when attempting to strike an arc or with a grinder plugged in. It works fine in high idle and when you switch it to auto it idles down just not back up. I downloaded the manual and this is where I get lost. The wiring diagram shows wires 213 and 215 coming from the idle solenoid. 215 to the PC board and 213 to the toggle switch. Mine has 215 to the PC board and a very clearly marked 214 which goes directly to terminal 214 on the PC board. The diagram shows 214 being vacant? I am not an electrician by a long shot, so not really sure which direction to even start in. Iíve been reading some other posts on here about similar issues and have deduced that I very clearly may be in over my head. Any thoughts on where to start? Preferably in terms a dummy like me can understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weldanpower 225 idle issue.

Send a PM to duaneb55. He's our resident portable welder guru.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks will do!

Post Thanks / Like

for the moment don't worry about 214, with engine running check 3 and 5 at the pcb and see if you have 115 volts. this powers the pcb. then check216 to 217 while you try to strike an arc. should be a low AC voltage. then try 218 to 5 and run a grinder. should get a similar AC voltage. These voltages cause the pcb to drive the throttle solenoid. 215 should connect to 5 on the pcb. the pcb has to make 12vdc and send it out to the solenoid to cause it to pull in. the high idle switch just connects it to the 12vdc from the battery. 209 comes from the battery to the ignition switch the it becomes 212 to the idle switch then it becomes 213.
    check the idle switch and see if there is a 213 and 214 wire on the same terminal.
    We might be seeing a variation in how Lincoln built these. to know for sure you will need to get a code specific diagram from Lincoln. Just call them and ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a broken old wire on one recently, at the solenoid as I recall.

Post Thanks / Like

I can get you the name of someone at Lincoln that was very helpful at finding a diagram for my "weird" Weldanpower!

Post Thanks / Like

I would very much appreciate that! I just rolled in from work. Gonna head out to the shop and run a couple of the tests prescribed above. I’ll report back with the verdict.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. So a little more troubleshooting this evening (not that I have a clue what I’m doing) and I have 110v power at the Idler board on post 3 (110v), but nothing at post 5. I traced it back to what I believe to be a rectifier?? It splits there and the other 5 lead goes to the 110v outlet on the front of the machine. So….. what exactly does this tell
    someone smarter than me when it comes to electricity? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBlevins View Post
    I would very much appreciate that! I just rolled in from work. Gonna head out to the shop and run a couple of the tests prescribed above. I’ll report back with the verdict.
    Here is the guy I spoke to via email. The electrical diagram for my Weldanpower was not on their website.
    He took my code number and description of how mine was put together and dug around in their archive
    and came up with an exact diagram for mine.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-28 083511.png
Views: 75
Size:  2.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-28 083426.png
Views: 73
Size:  12.2 KB