Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Start a mobile welding repair busisness

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to Start a mobile welding repair busisness

What I take is low budget including the lathe (used small lathe around $500.00).
    The press I would shop build or you could buy a low budget from HF.
    The line boring can also be shop built. I have a hand drill and I like best was mag drill works great.

Yes home owners and RV owners are low budget but will get you pocket money 💰 .
    Which today I have done in retirement on trailers.
    If had money a converting a pickup to flatbed with a overhead rack (2,000 cap or more) would help too note I would build the flatbed and rack to save money 💰.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Teachu2 View Post
    While it would be nice to start out with a "shop on wheels", the budget would have to grow considerably. The way I read the OP's post is that he's looking to be a welding handyman. Lawnmower decks, pipe fences, gates, security bars, workbenches, the kind of small jobs that are beyond the average homeowner's skills, but not needing a certified professional fabricator. I can't count how many little fixes I've done over the years that took less than a foot of bead to complete.

Either an engine-driven stick machine or a generator with an appropriately-matched Mig would get you started. Be prepared to support yourself with another income stream until you can grow your business.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a full truck (shop on wheels) but its parked and back to light truck/van. I am trying to work out a ladder rack now. Van is a bigger problem than a pickup to haul steel. I dont care about 2000# but I wouldnt mind carrying a couple pieces in a crisis.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a little welding and build a overhead rack for steel and ladder 🪜.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I have a full truck (shop on wheels) but its parked and back to light truck/van. I am trying to work out a ladder rack now. Van is a bigger problem than a pickup to haul steel. I dont care about 2000# but I wouldnt mind carrying a couple pieces in a crisis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What I take is low budget including the lathe (used small lathe around $500.00).
    The press I would shop build or you could buy a low budget from HF.
    The line boring can also be shop built. I have a hand drill and I like best was mag drill works great.

Yes home owners and RV owners are low budget but will get you pocket money  .
    Which today I have done in retirement on trailers.
    If had money a converting a pickup to flatbed with a overhead rack (2,000 cap or more) would help too note I would build the flatbed and rack to save money .

Dave
    All that is great, for someone who has the skills, experience, and knowledge to use it. The OP is just getting started. Hard to get experience in mobile welding repair without a mobile welding machine.
    Miller 250P, MM210, Bobcat 250
    Lincoln 225AC/DC, Pro-Mig 175
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

Post Thanks / Like

How do think I got skill.
    I learn as need came up.

Dave

All that is great, for someone who has the skills, experience, and knowledge to use it. The OP is just getting started. Hard to get experience in mobile welding repair without a mobile welding machine.

6. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not try machining for bearing bores.
    But turning a part for welding is basic what you doing. A drill press is helpful in drilling clips and other parts. A hand drill does not drill straight holes and slow too.
    My self a simple 15" bench drill press for holes upto 1/2" holes and a mag drill for larger holes.

FYI Most machinist finish a bearing bore with sand paper. Very few can machine for a bearing bore by just turning the bore.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Where would a guy put all this on a pickup truck?

Post Thanks / Like

On side see drawing

Dave

Where would a guy put all this on a pickup truck?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Its a nice drawing but that will run out of room fast even with 1/2 that stuff on it. The lathe i could skip, same for crane on pickup.

Post Thanks / Like

The cost also.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not try machining for bearing bores.
    But turning a part for welding is basic what you doing. A drill press is helpful in drilling clips and other parts. A hand drill does not drill straight holes and slow too.
    My self a simple 15" bench drill press for holes upto 1/2" holes and a mag drill for larger holes.

FYI Most machinist finish a bearing bore with sand paper. Very few can machine for a bearing bore by just turning the bore.

Dave
    Help me understand here, Dave. Give me an example of a field repair where you needed a lathe to produce an accurate enough part to weld in.
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

Post Thanks / Like

The crane is remove and left home for most work. The lathe is 8 " to 11" size small but very hand if over 1/2 hour from home 🏡. There are small press too on back of bed.

Dave

Its a nice drawing but that will run out of room fast even with 1/2 that stuff on it. The lathe i could skip, same for crane on pickup.

Post Thanks / Like

The perspective is mismatched here. The view from 70 yr old retired professional with a wish list is not really a good fit for 23 and starting out. He needs small footprint machine, torch, drill, grinder, some hand tools and box with scrap steel pieces. Coffee can or 2 nuts and bolts.

15. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could skip the press too. BFH does that mobile. Battery sawzall is now on my short list.
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-01-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If i was going in to boreing, machine it wouldnt be a sideline raw start so to speak. Would be very deliberate with skilled reliable help. Good equipment, heavy truck etc. Most likely from shop to back it up, financing, biz in place. There are a few so gifted this doesnt matter much but the learning curve is so high it would bankrupt a starter.
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-01-2022 at 10:55 AM.

18. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason for have a few extra tools to get more and better jobs. 😉
    If just a rod burner you get fewer jobs.

There is also repeat work some knows you have the tools on truck will call you first. Not a tool chest full of mechanic tools. They will call a mechanic for that work not a welder

Dave

Could skip the press too. BFH does that mobile. Battery sawzall is now on my short list.

Post Thanks / Like

The crane is remove and left home for most work. The lathe is 8 " to 11" size small but very hand if over 1/2 hour from home . There are small press too on back of bed.

Dave
    What welding job has the lathe been handy for? Still looking for a reason to make mine mobile. I've never needed more precision in a welding job than I can get with a grinder.....
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

Post Thanks / Like

I just used a lathe yesterday for bushing for welding.
    The main reason is so customers knows you can turn a part if need on job. It take out class of just a rod burner to ture welder shop on wheels.

Dave

What welding job has the lathe been handy for? Still looking for a reason to make mine mobile. I've never needed more precision in a welding job than I can get with a grinder.....

Post Thanks / Like

We understand that but this is a start up guy. He needs a short list just to get rolling and to tell the truth I dont need it either and dont even have one in my shop. I got a neighbor with one, free labor on top of it and so rarely use it that I dont want the next "layer" of equipment and all the chips. I got woodworking in another building,,, ha but mainly cause I use occasionally and have a MgYver fix for about everything I do and I collect parts, some generi9c, some deliberate, even got some backup so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Customers really call me for welding, bolting and painting. I can do other stuff but its less frequent.

Post Thanks / Like

That ture but all I talk about on used market is Lee's than $1,000.00 and give a big jump over someone that just have a gas welder and a set of bottles hoping to find work.

Dave

We understand that but this is a start up guy. He needs a short list just to get rolling and to tell the truth I dont need it either and dont even have one in my shop. I got a neighbor with one, free labor on top of it and so rarely use it that I dont want the next "layer" of equipment and all the chips. I got woodworking in another building,,, ha but mainly cause I use occasionally and have a MgYver fix for about everything I do and I collect parts, some generi9c, some deliberate, even got some backup so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

That ture but all I talk about on used market is Lee's than $1,000.00 and give a big jump over someone that just have a gas welder and a set of bottles hoping to find work.

Dave
    When he is looking at a $1500 budget, adding a $1000 luxury tool is not a wise choice - especially if he doesn't have the knowledge to use it. That $1000 could be much better spent on tooling that he could use. Ture? Lee's than $1,000.00?

I have a pretty nice old lathe, but I don't have need for it in the field. It would be junk in a year of being hauled around.
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

Post Thanks / Like

It way to get jobs , besides being just a welder.
    So need to do the extra mile for work.

Dave

When he is looking at a $1500 budget, adding a $1000 luxury tool is not a wise choice - especially if he doesn't have the knowledge to use it. That $1000 could be much better spent on tooling that he could use. Ture? Lee's than $1,000.00?

I have a pretty nice old lathe, but I don't have need for it in the field. It would be junk in a year of being hauled around.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not think usual road wear would impact/damage a lathe any more than routine/real use?

Post Thanks / Like

It like just like a transmission it do for with dog.

Some comes from my construction background.
    I was out town with father and someone missed drill parts. I guy pulls job sit look work all he had a Lincoln welder and bottles. He could had about 6 hours of work if had drillpress. We had with hand drill.
    On next job a used a handdrill and grinder to turn bolts to size.

FYI Our jobs where 8 to 20 hour round trip to shop.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I would not think usual road wear would impact/damage a lathe any more than routine/real use?