Thread: First time posting! need advice on repair

Post Thanks / Like

First time posting! need advice on repair

Hey guys, first time posting here. So my dad has this crucifix he wears and he's had it for the past 20+ years, anyways the eyelet where it goes onto the necklace broke and he asked me to fix it. It appears to be cast aluminum. I was thinking of how to fix it, tig isn't really a viable method because of how thin the metal is (plus its cast), so I was thinking of brazing some aluminum to the eyelet and cleaning it up with a dremel. I think this is the best method of repair but I wanted to get some other eyes on it before I moved forward with anything. Here are some pictures, thanks in advanced. - John
    Name:  WIN_20220128_11_25_24_Pro.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  47.3 KBName:  WIN_20220128_11_26_22_Pro.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  37.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time posting! need advice on repair

I think I would make a new eye and fasten it mechanically though the top 2 holes in the halo.
    ---Meltedmetal

3. Likes porous_weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There will be someone knows the right way but,,, I might take a small lock washer and twist the set out of it, scuff the back, dob some JB on it and glue the steel washer to the back, It would be stronger and wear better than the original and very little risk to the thing you trying to preserve,

5. Likes porous_weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually simply threading the chain thru,,, could go thru around the post and back is a pretty good idea, could see if you could close the original eye if you cared.
    I think I would make a new eye and fasten it mechanically though the top 2 holes in the halo.
    Better idea.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-28-2022 at 01:54 PM.

7. Likes porous_weld, whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Actually simply threading the chain thru,,, could go thru around the post and back is a pretty good idea, could see if you could close the original eye if you cared. Better idea
    That's what I was thinking. That's likely the best repair, thanks!

9. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

File off the original eyelet and snake chain through the lower two holes gets my vote.
    My name's not Jim....

11. Likes porous_weld, Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is it made of?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by porous_weld View Post
    Hey guys, first time posting here. So my dad has this crucifix he wears and he's had it for the past 20+ years, anyways the eyelet where it goes onto the necklace broke and he asked me to fix it. It appears to be cast aluminum. I was thinking of how to fix it, tig isn't really a viable method because of how thin the metal is (plus its cast), so I was thinking of brazing some aluminum to the eyelet and cleaning it up with a dremel. I think this is the best method of repair but I wanted to get some other eyes on it before I moved forward with anything. Here are some pictures, thanks in advanced. - John
    Name:  WIN_20220128_11_25_24_Pro.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  47.3 KBName:  WIN_20220128_11_26_22_Pro.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  37.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    There will be someone knows the right way but,,, I might take a small lock washer and twist the set out of it, scuff the back, dob some JB on it and glue the steel washer to the back, It would be stronger and wear better than the original and very little risk to the thing you trying to preserve,
    I like some variation of this. I might file the back of the existing loop flat first and either machine a loop, or find a small, narrow-width flat washer, or even silver solder the ends of a formed loop and epoxy that on, also filling the gap in the top with either epoxy or a silver-colored similar material.

Usually the owner of something like this wants it kept he same; feeding the chain through the two lower 'holes' would change its appearance, even if only slightly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I like some variation of this. I might file the back of the existing loop flat first and either machine a loop, or find a small, narrow-width flat washer, or even silver solder the ends of a formed loop and epoxy that on, also filling the gap in the top with either epoxy or a silver-colored similar material.

Usually the owner of something like this wants it kept he same; feeding the chain through the two lower 'holes' would change its appearance, even if only slightly.
    The trade off is security. Snaking the chain through poses almost zero risk of failure. If an epoxy joint fails, what happens to the rest of the item when it hits the floor? Or falls off at a time it may become lost/non-recoverable?

A low profile alternative may be some sort of twisted wire transition piece similar to how this is done. (image grabbed from the net. not mine)
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 01-28-2022 at 03:35 PM.
    My name's not Jim....

15. Likes welding1, whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    ... Snaking the chain through poses almost zero risk of failure. If an epoxy joint fails, what happens...
    If done right, it will be stronger than originally so won't fail. I can think of more elaborate ways that would increase the strength, e.g. finding an aluminum pop rivet that fits the hole, removing the steel mandrel, cutting the stem off so it just protrudes a bit when the washer head sits against the rear of the loop, then epoxying it in and peening the front of the protruding tube so it sits against the front face of the loop a bit...all which would be overkill but easily done, assuming the diameter accommodates a stock rivet.

I do like wire-wrapping in general, and I might even like wiring the part to the chain here, but I'm not the OP.

BTW, did you chip the arrow head? I once got hundreds of pounds of good obsidian in Oregon and donated a bunch to a fellow at Stanford in return for his giving a few demonstrations of chipping to some groups.
    I know places in Nevada where chips abound, but I've never seen a decent head there and likely shouldn't have taken it if I had.

Last edited by Oldiron2; 01-28-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys... Sorry for the late update. I put some steel wire through the halo and it worked for a couple days, but the thin casting broke off when the pendant got yanked. So I had to braze material to the top and then sand it down.Name:  IMG_20220406_234136592_HDR.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  106.3 KBName:  IMG_20220406_234143110_HDR.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  90.8 KB

18. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by porous_weld View Post
    Thanks guys... Sorry for the late update. I put some steel wire through the halo and it worked for a couple days, but the thin casting broke off when the pendant got yanked. So I had to braze material to the top and then sand it down.Name:  IMG_20220406_234136592_HDR.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  106.3 KBName:  IMG_20220406_234143110_HDR.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  90.8 KB
    Whatever works! Looks like a nice repair. I assume it said something along the lines of Semper Fidelis? Always Faithful.

I need to add - I'm not a Marine and don't claim to be. I have a lot of respect and admiration towards those who HAVE served, though.