Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    I have a log splitter that is about 9 years old. No stickers, labels or anything identifying that I can find.
    Hasn't been used in about 3 years.
    Cylinder is leaking at the plate near the wedge.
    Where/ how do find the info on these to order a seal kit?
    There is shop I can bring it to for repair, but I am looking at just fixing it to sell it since I don't use it. With that in mind, I am not really wanting to spend too much money just to sell it.

    Thanks



    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Take it apart and bring the piston and the gland to the hydraulic shop. They will be able to measure up the seals and any other items you need.

  3. Likes psacustomcreations, scsmith42 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Can not see the leak
    Odds are it is something simple that you can repair

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have a log splitter that is about 9 years old. No stickers, labels or anything identifying that I can find.
    Hasn't been used in about 3 years.
    Cylinder is leaking at the plate near the wedge.
    Where/ how do find the info on these to order a seal kit?
    There is shop I can bring it to for repair, but I am looking at just fixing it to sell it since I don't use it. With that in mind, I am not really wanting to spend too much money just to sell it.

    Thanks



    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lockhart,Tx (BBQ capitol of the world)
    Posts
    1,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    What MJD said except if you let the piston rod get rusty new seals won't fix it!
    At least not for very long!

  6. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    What MJD said except if you let the piston rod get rusty new seals won't fix it!
    At least not for very long!
    Rod looks good so far so I might get lucky with that.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Take it apart and bring the piston and the gland to the hydraulic shop. They will be able to measure up the seals and any other items you need.
    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sechelt, BC
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    I’d sell it as-is. The trouble and expense won’t get you a higher price, it might make it sell faster. Give it a good cleaning.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    5,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    I’d sell it as-is. The trouble and expense won’t get you a higher price, it might make it sell faster. Give it a good cleaning.
    I gotta agree with this. It's not a real leak unless you have to leave a drip pan under it or wear a rain coat when splitting wood.

    If you are intent on fixing it, seals aren't that expensive. Ballpark $25-50 for a kit unless it's oddball.
    My name's not Jim....

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I gotta agree with this. It's not a real leak unless you have to leave a drip pan under it or wear a rain coat when splitting wood.

    If you are intent on fixing it, seals aren't that expensive. Ballpark $25-50 for a kit unless it's oddball.
    The fluid comes out at a pretty steady and fast rate while using it.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wheatland, Wyoming
    Posts
    651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Take it apart and take the parts to match up.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    The other question is how must time and money do you want to spend on something you are selling?

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have a log splitter that is about 9 years old. No stickers, labels or anything identifying that I can find.
    Hasn't been used in about 3 years.
    Cylinder is leaking at the plate near the wedge.
    Where/ how do find the info on these to order a seal kit?
    There is shop I can bring it to for repair, but I am looking at just fixing it to sell it since I don't use it. With that in mind, I am not really wanting to spend too much money just to sell it.

    Thanks



    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    The fluid comes out at a pretty steady and fast rate while using it.
    Sell it as leaking for peanuts...
    The buyer will be happy and repair (should be a simple job),
    You are happy too: you did not use it for many years (upgraded to gas for heating??) and you don't have to leave your armchair and get oily fingers....
    Conclusion: happyness around you...

    Did it work fine as you were using it??

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild question

    The buyer will think it a simple job and still buy the leak.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwelderman View Post
    Sell it as leaking for peanuts...
    The buyer will be happy and repair (should be a simple job),
    You are happy too: you did not use it for many years (upgraded to gas for heating??) and you don't have to leave your armchair and get oily fingers....
    Conclusion: happyness around you...

    Did it work fine as you were using it??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,660,493,100.40266 seconds with 14 queries