+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oxy-Acetylene Cart build using the HTP Inverarc 160 Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Oxy-Acetylene Cart build using the HTP Inverarc 160 Plus

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxy-Acetylene Cart build using the HTP Inverarc 160 Plus

Looks good. If you uh, are going to uh, be making uh a YouTube channel uh for teaching and etc to gather a crowd and uh to earn subscribers uh then you might want to uh not use the word uh so much. Personal opinion, it might not bother some people but I know there are others that it will. Sharing is caring
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video and nice build, having everything on wheels really helps in a smaller shop. It takes alot of work to make decent videos, so I can imagine it probably tripled your project time.

The arc shots were great. Looks like a real smooth little welder. Handy is right on the money. It's always so satisfying when the slag comes off whole like that.

I agree about watching the "uh"s a bit but it wasn't that huge of a deal to me.

One hard learned lesson for me about 45 deg. diagonals was to square up the 90's first, and then use the project itself to mark/transfer the 45deg diagonals.

Post Thanks / Like

Any particular reason why the tanks are closed in on
    four sides as opposed to the traditional “ three sides
    and chains” design? I realize the tanks are smaller
    than many, but rolling/sliding them in seems much
    easier than lifting them and lowering them in.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Nice vid. Thanks for sharing. Did not notice the uh.

As far as design? If foot print of tank changes, they may not fit. Lifting tanks can get old, consider a strap or removable bar?
    How does it tilt? May need an extension or bent handle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Looks good. If you uh, are going to uh, be making uh a YouTube channel uh for teaching and etc to gather a crowd and uh to earn subscribers uh then you might want to uh not use the word uh so much. Personal opinion, it might not bother some people but I know there are others that it will. Sharing is caring
    Uh Not gonna be using it for teaching what so ever I don't care if anyone subscribes really. It's just something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    Any particular reason why the tanks are closed in on
    four sides as opposed to the traditional “ three sides
    and chains” design? I realize the tanks are smaller
    than many, but rolling/sliding them in seems much
    easier than lifting them and lowering them in.
    Just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Nice vid. Thanks for sharing. Did not notice the uh.

As far as design? If foot print of tank changes, they may not fit. Lifting tanks can get old, consider a strap or removable bar?
    How does it tilt? May need an extension or bent handle?
    If and when the lifting becomes a problem, I'll change the design for sure. It tilts just fine; the wheels have the back end 1" off the floor, so just with my foot on the 5/8" rod and pulling back the pipe handle up top give just the right amount of leverage to tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Nice video and nice build, having everything on wheels really helps in a smaller shop. It takes alot of work to make decent videos, so I can imagine it probably tripled your project time.

The arc shots were great. Looks like a real smooth little welder. Handy is right on the money. It's always so satisfying when the slag comes off whole like that.

I agree about watching the "uh"s a bit but it wasn't that huge of a deal to me.

One hard learned lesson for me about 45 deg. diagonals was to square up the 90's first, and then use the project itself to mark/transfer the 45deg diagonals.
    Yea I got tired of not being able to sweep/clean around stuff easily, so almost everything is on wheels/casters now, even the Smithy 1220LTD lathe/mill/drill. I used the suggestion someone made a while back about using the $12 harbor freight wooden mover's dolly. It has four 250 lb casters (that I remove, and throw away the wood) that actually work pretty good! Cheaper than four of their 275lb casters @ $6 each! I even used them for the Smithy, albeit I used 6; four on the headstock side, and two on the tailstock end. Time will tell, but seems to be working out nice. Now I just need to build carts to get my welders off the floor. The design is in the works
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-04-2022 at 07:28 AM.

7. Likes N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple years ago several different jobs required diagonals in rectangle. I found it easiest to easiest to mount a temporary clamping system parallel to my horizontal bandsaw blade. Set parallel when the blade is cutting 0 degrees. Then with the saw head set appropriate angle, I could make the second cut in the temporary clamp for its complementary angle.

Somebody shared that idea many years ago on this forum. I could not understand what they were describing, then. I thought I had come up with great idea, then realizes that is what was described many years ago

9. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the diameter of the Acetylene tanks varying, but the O2 tanks can vary somewhat. I notice this on the tanks I exchange regularly.

One thing.........if your LWS has been using 125cf O2 tanks, and switches to 150cf tanks, the diameter can really change.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the video.

Clear arc shots and to the point commentary.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

12. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Nice job on the video.

Clear arc shots and to the point commentary.
    Thanks. I have another cart build coming up, but it will be much more intricate since it will hold a few welders on it.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I don't see the diameter of the Acetylene tanks varying, but the O2 tanks can vary somewhat. I notice this on the tanks I exchange regularly.

One thing.........if your LWS has been using 125cf O2 tanks, and switches to 150cf tanks, the diameter can really change.
    They literally carry all sizes. From the teeny tiny 20 ft³ to the big ol' 300 ft³ tanks. I'm not worried about it at all.
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-05-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the video arc shots and commentary OSCAR
    Already mentioned by J T

Constructive critisizm is welcome in my book, hope your not offended however, as mentioned; grammar is important to weldors as they are smart people also, or too? I learned better typing on WELDINGWEB by Roadscholarer Weldors here.

Ok Oscar , critique and dont take it offensive but just why manifold 3 acety tanks wit only one Oxy?
    I really think its supposed to be the other way. One acety source/manifold with multiple users. Your setup needs more Oxy. Im no expert but I think its wrong if its wrong. No offense and nice cart but also, it should hould mor Oxy than Acety, no?

Say, Im thinking of a cart build for rough terrain and like the whhells you used. Wher you get them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Already mentioned by J T

Constructive critisizm is welcome in my book, hope your not offended however, as mentioned; grammar is important to weldors as they are smart people also, or too? I learned better typing on WELDINGWEB by Roadscholarer Weldors here.

Ok Oscar , critique and dont take it offensive but just why manifold 3 acety tanks wit only one Oxy?
    I really think its supposed to be the other way. One acety source/manifold with multiple users. Your setup needs more Oxy. Im no expert but I think its wrong if its wrong. No offense and nice cart but also, it should hould mor Oxy than Acety, no?

Say, Im thinking of a cart build for rough terrain and like the whhells you used. Wher you get them?

More acetylene for running a larger tip without going over max withdrawal rate of tanks?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

16. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oscar,
    Do you find the acetylene tank pressures self adjust to the same pressure?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Already mentioned by J T

thanks for the feedback. I disagree with your assessment of needing more oxygen. Although I can't say I understand why from the way you've worded it. Perhaps throw in some math/flowrate calculations and we can begin speaking the same language You mentioned "multiple users"; I'm perplexed where this came from.

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    More acetylene for running a larger tip without going over max withdrawal rate of tanks?
    Yep.

The wheels are nothing special. Harbor Freight inflatable 10" wheels, ~400lb load rating each; plenty for the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Oscar,
    Do you find the acetylene tank pressures self adjust to the same pressure?
    They should; that is what I was told by OA Doctor when I asked the same question.
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-06-2022 at 11:32 AM.

19. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How does the manifold make sure the acetylene tanks have the same draw as to prevent one from drawing more or all of the gas while the others are just chilling and have a good laugh. Just being facetious.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    How does the manifold make sure the acetylene tanks have the same draw as to prevent one from drawing more or all of the gas while the others are just chilling and have a good laugh. Just being facetious.
    Tank(s) Pressure.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Tank(s) Pressure.
    Yes I would agree. They are under pressure, so it's not like the torch is sipping from the first tank it sees like drinking a liquid out of straw. All three tanks are "fighting" to release pressure so internally it should equalize.

I found the email from Jim Billingsley aka OA Doctor:

There are indeed check valves with a directional arrow on each tank fitting. I'll take his word for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt find the picture showing an acety generator with manifold used with multiple torches but to give you an idea heres some pics with manifolds for a single supply and 5 or so outlets. Top pic is an oxy manifold. Second pic is oxy/acety for three torches and looks like it could support six torches. I did see for huge amounts welding/cutting your setup would be handy but, I still believe you need more Oxy than Acety. A union iron worker told me a easy to remember rule of thumb is 40psi oxy to 6psi acety is good for cutting iron/steel up to 2 inches. I have to purchase my own gas so I look up what pressures I need and tip size for thickness being cut.

For example: VICTOR charts show 1/2" steel requires 0 tip with 30-35psi Oxy and 3-5psi Acety. Thats approx nine times more pressure from Oxy.

For welding 1/2" use tip 5 with 6-12psi Oxy and 5-8psi Acety so you see even welding uses more oxy than acety.

For rosebud use tip 4 with 6-10psi acety and 8-12 psi oxy. Even heating uses more oxy. The chart I used showed acety pressure first for heating nozzle. It also showed flow rates using more oxy. I thought withdraw rates were concern for heating only and thats why they include flow rates for heating but as jpump5 pointed out, withdraw rate when using a large tip can also be a concern.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Insaneride; 02-06-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

At least for cutting the O2 tank is always larger than the c2h2 tank on order to consume both tanks at a close rate. I still use o2 faster.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt find the picture showing an acety generator with manifold used with multiple torches but to give you an idea heres some pics with manifolds for a single supply and 5 or so outlets. Top pic is an oxy manifold. Second pic is oxy/acety for three torches and looks like it could support six torches. I did see for huge amounts welding/cutting your setup would be handy but, I still believe you need more Oxy than Acety. A union iron worker told me a easy to remember rule of thumb is 40psi oxy to 6psi acety is good for cutting iron/steel up to 2 inches. I have to purchase my own gas so I look up what pressures I need and tip size for thickness being cut.

For example: VICTOR charts show 1/2" steel requires 0 tip with 30-35psi Oxy and 3-5psi Acety. Thats approx nine times more pressure from Oxy.

For welding 1/2" use tip 5 with 6-12psi Oxy and 5-8psi Acety so you see even welding uses more oxy than acety.

For rosebud use tip 4 with 6-10psi acety and 8-12 psi oxy. Even heating uses more oxy. The chart I used showed acety pressure first for heating nozzle. It also showed flow rates using more oxy. I thought withdraw rates were concern for heating only and thats why they include flow rates for heating but as jpump5 pointed out, withdraw rate when using a large tip can also be a concern.
    What you're pointing out is a completely different type of manifold. Yours splits the outputs after the regulator assuming the tank(s) can already provide the necessary flowrate for the multiple-user scenario that you are conjuring up that does not apply to me. In my system, I'm using small tanks and combine them before the regulator in order to achieve a higher acetylene capability in the first place. Yes one does have to use more oxygen pressure for pretty much any OA scenario, but also keep in mind that the oxygen tank is filled to 2000psi, so it contains a lot more gas than the acetylene tank that is filled to 250psi, or whatever it is. So basically what you're seeing in your head simply does not apply to my set-up; yours serves a completely different purpose than mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar, thanks for posting this video. I have been thinking about getting the HTP 160.
    Miller 252
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 200
    MM 211
    Red face AC/DC 225 Buzz Box
    Power Max 30

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Oscar,
    Carts tend to stay in one spot for a days/weeks between moves. Pump up tyres (under load) tend to get a flat spot during this time so you get the old flaboom flaboom when you move it. Ask me how I know!
    Be prepared to change them out for solid wheels...
    Don't forget to update us

28. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea could be. Right now there's a lot of action in the garage since I'm gearing up to hopefully do some small production runs, so I need to be cleaning constantly and hopefully that way I keep them rolling around. The good thing is since the rear bottom tube of the cart is 1" above the floor, a lot of the weight shifts to the front edge, so it will hopefully keep the tires lasting longer like that when it does sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thats Hot View Post
    Oscar, thanks for posting this video. I have been thinking about getting the HTP 160.
    You're welcome. It's a nice little convenient machine to have, especially with that case where you can squeeze in a grinder (maybe even two if it's not too large) and wheels/accessories. Load it up, throw (ie: place) it in the back seat and off you go for small mobile jobs. The duty cycle is pretty good on both 120V and 240V.
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-06-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a truck mounted camper years ago that used multiple 20 lb propane bottles to fuel the stove and fridge. There was nothing fancy about the setup, just T's plumbed in with on/off valves so you could run one tank or 3 depending on demands and length of time needed. I don't recall having any issues with it, and would frequently fill 2 good bottles to keep the stale dated one functioning.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist