+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for the right spot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for the right spot

New here, DIY guy stuck with a tight budget. What page can I go to and actually ask questions and advice without being totally roasted for my garbage gear and lack of experience? I get it, but I really don't want to spend all my time here dealing with that... Hasn't been an issue yet, but it's a welders group lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for the right spot

Quote Originally Posted by geetarmanpete View Post
    New here, DIY guy stuck with a tight budget. What page can I go to and actually ask questions and advice without being totally roasted for my garbage gear and lack of experience? I get it, but I really don't want to spend all my time here dealing with that... Hasn't been an issue yet, but it's a welders group lol!
    When you start out with this post assuming everyone here will treat you that way, aren't you just asking for trouble? Why not instead start by reading old posts that have similar questions as yours and, then using whatever information you find, ask some reasonable, technical questions you couldn't find answers to in your reading, and ask in such a way that they can be answered without our having to drag lots of unposted details from you first?

No, I've never even thought about welding a broken geetar-string back together.

Post Thanks / Like

Valid response, maybe a bit crass after being in some other groups and seeing how people get treated. Honestly I've already seen some ugly in this forum already as well. I'll try to word things as suggested. And you realize now someone has to one up the razor blade challenge and repair a high E string... And it has to be tunable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geetarmanpete View Post
    Valid response, maybe a bit crass after being in some other groups and seeing how people get treated. Honestly I've already seen some ugly in this forum already as well. I'll try to word things as suggested. And you realize now someone has to one up the razor blade challenge and repair a high E string... And it has to be tunable!
    The comments that hurt worst are those that have truth in them; when everything stops hurting, it's probably 'cause your dead.

IIRC, the challenge here was always reattaching two halves of a severed aluminum soda/beer can.

BTW, you earlier mentioned "garbage gear" and stick welding; any pictures to prove either?

5. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    The comments that hurt worst are those that have truth in them; when everything stops hurting, it's probably 'cause your dead.

IIRC, the challenge here was always reattaching two halves of a severed aluminum soda/beer can.

BTW, you earlier mentioned "garbage gear" and stick welding; any pictures to prove either?
    Lol, well I haven't even considered taking pics of my gear yet. But I'll do so tomorrow, but it's just a beater old craftsman buzz box, a brand new Chinese multi process unit and a stick/tig harbor freight box that needs parts. And the challenges are probably years from me trying them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post

Concerning welding 2 halves of a popcan back together. Been there done that. We used a plasma welder torch held in a rigid holder above the can which was held in a rotating positioned.
    Low range on the plasma welder was 3 amps. Basically we welded it with the pilot arc. No filler used. Easy ☢️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jodo View Post
    Concerning welding 2 halves of a popcan back together. Been there done that. We used a plasma welder torch held in a rigid holder above the can which was held in a rotating positioned.
    Low range on the plasma welder was 3 amps. Basically we welded it with the pilot arc. No filler used. Easy ☢️
    But was it tunable?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

At least for that Harbor Freight unit, ask in the HF sub-forum.

I bought an early HF 90A-AC flux welder thinking it was a move up from my 230A-AC stick welder, and soon learned nobody could do decent work with those. So junky that it didn't even have a fan. I wished I had read that forum before buying it. Soon sold it. But asking all the dumb-beginner questions there, I got nearly all reasonable answers, little snark.

HF is selling better gear now so that sub-forum is nearly dead, no more "how the heck do I make this thing work right?"

You will likely get some rational advice there if you ask how to repair your HF welder.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist