Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When the Cat's Away........

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When the Cat's Away........

Sammy,
    you have to remember you have took more abuse from a happy cow girl, then anything here.. Just roll with it, like you can..Everybody does things their own way, and more power to them..I really don't care if you run over all your stuff with a tractor that still runs..In fact it would be a good vid
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

2. Likes Race Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be a farmer mentality.

I see it all over the country

When a vehicle breaks, you just park it behind the barn …. Until the place looks like Sandford & Son

Ive seen Samm stick welding out in that tall grass also …

Whatever…

You reap what you sow.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I got no advice for you sam, don't worry
    My advice would have came before you left that nice machine in the weeds and forgot about it
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Farmersamm goes off like this every few years. He's had to change his username a few times because of it. It seems to be related to alcohol. On the other hand, he could just be nuts.
    Last edited by hvw; 02-22-2022 at 06:55 AM. Reason: miistake

6. Likes Oxford1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy seeing the guys who get the old Lincoln welders going, and it seems like they’re almost always full of mouse nests and the like. What seems to work for them is mechanically removing as much debris as possible, then a good stream of water and soap. The unit is designed to operate in the weather, after all, so a bath shouldn’t hurt it. Blow it out after- I second the leaf blower suggestion- and see what you’ve got then. My biggest concern would be corrosion on that circuit board, but you won’t know til you turn the key.

I realize you’ve pushed the jackass button and are determined to prove that only you are smart enough to correct what only you were dumb enough to cause, but it seems to me that several guys have tried to help you here despite your miserably condescending attitude. I’ll give you credit: you aren’t scared to show your hind end.

Post Thanks / Like

All those switches and wires are not made to he hosed down. Might be able to wash parts of it but my bet is it would never work again if it was completely washed.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was repairing electronics in the military (3 decades ago), mil spec states that we were forbidden to use forced air to clean electronic equipment. Stuff came in from the desert with sand everywhere, even inside sealed compartments. Using an air hose or canned air will just picking up sand and debris from where you don't want it and accelerating it to several hundred miles an hour and injecting it into other places you don't want it. I still try an follow those rules to this day.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

10. Likes Meltedmetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam with your lung issues be very carful or maybe let some one else clean it for you. Make sure they can clean it safely for them an you. As I get older I get more cautious about things like "rodent poop". I talked to my wife about various disease related to rodent feces. The list is long and nasty

12. Likes shortfuse, Lis2323, Brand X liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    Sam with your lung issues be very carful or maybe let some one else clean it for you. Make sure they can clean it safely for them an you. As I get older I get more cautious about things like "rodent poop". I talked to my wife about various disease related to rodent feces. The list is long and nasty
    Absolutely.

The famous Bob Dylan contracted it a few years ago I think they said it was from bird or chicken feces.

It’s a fungus/spores that can be inhaled and wreaks havoc with your lungs.

Very serious stuff.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Sammm , pics of kkins loaded for bad guy or it never happened. Bonus if shes in nighty with 38 and nightgown. 38 optional.

Ive heard of bird flu but hantavirus is serious here in northern nevada. OSHA fine if not washed away on jobsites. Sweeping deer mouse poop is bad. We have other types of rats including kangaroo that is on endangered species but the tiny Deer mouse is responsible for hantavirus here. Dont sweep their poop. Not always possible to wash tho

Oops: wrong thread. Never mind about 38 and bad guy
    Last edited by Insaneride; 02-22-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Killed 2 of them with a ball pein hammer when I opened the battery box door, kind of a "deer in the headlights" thing when the sunlight hit them in the face.
    One night I was sitting outside enjoying the firepit when I heard a rustling in our gas barbeque. I grabbed a flashlight (one of those heavy duty cop-style things) and opened the lid to find an impressive-sized rat staring back at me. I figured, "Well, the cops sometimes use these things as clubs, so..." I never told my wife about that.

Tim

16. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timrb View Post
    One night I was sitting outside enjoying the firepit when I heard a rustling in our gas barbeque. I grabbed a flashlight (one of those heavy duty cop-style things) and opened the lid to find an impressive-sized rat staring back at me. I figured, "Well, the cops sometimes use these things as clubs, so..." I never told my wife about that.

Tim
    Had a 200KW genset in an old refrigerated trailer, I used the extra space in the trailer for storage of odds and ends. One day Opened the door to a huge nest made of insulation from the walls, I grabbed a shovel and started chopping. Turned out to be a Packrat nest, killed 4 of them and loaded the van with Tomcat bait. never had another problem. Found a bunch of stuff that had been stolen from the office when I pushed the nest out the door.
    Ended up checking out the office and found 2 unused conduits that they had been sneaking in through. Started following paths in the dirt and found another colony living in the frame of an unused end dump trailer, they got nuked with bait too. The final fix was having a crazy Heeler dog living inside the fence. She seemed to stop the people problem too.
    Funny thing about that dog, she had a built in time clock, at 8am she went office pet and after 5pm she wouldn't hardly let ME in the gate.

18. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was inspecting a customer’s generator and found that
    stator and excitor coil winding insulation was damaged,
    apparently from mouse bedding crap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  ranger11.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  207.2 KB

Name:  ranger12.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  ranger13.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  189.9 KB All the mess cleaned out with the shop vac, and by hand. The only thing that I used the air gun on, was this transformer(?) that had some rat crap in it.

Name:  ranger14.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  191.9 KB K'kins sailed out the door this morning, and told me that she didn't want to see any dirty pots on the stove when she came home. So I ran the hot water....................and went outside to mess with the welder.....................and forgot about the water running. Luckily, the overflow went to the other side of the sink instead of on the floor/countertop. At my age, I can only keep track of one thing at a time

The motor started after priming, even though the battery was dead. Used a charger. Only problem................it runs away when started. Need to get into the carburetor tomorrow. Check the linkage, then tear into it. Might even be the fast idle solenoid malfunctioning because the battery has no voltage, although I'd think the alternator would supply full voltage once the motor starts. Check it out tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Sammm , pics of kkins loaded for bad guy or it never happened. Bonus if shes in nighty with 38 and nightgown. 38 optional.

Ive heard of bird flu but hantavirus is serious here in northern nevada. OSHA fine if not washed away on jobsites. Sweeping deer mouse poop is bad. We have other types of rats including kangaroo that is on endangered species but the tiny Deer mouse is responsible for hantavirus here. Dont sweep their poop. Not always possible to wash tho

Oops: wrong thread. Never mind about 38 and bad guy
    Name:  ranger15.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  178.8 KB This is her rig, or mine if I care to use it. The belt is infinitely adjustable to fit just about anybody. She wears it when she goes out beyond the creek.

Prior post is about the progress to date. Shoulda put this post before the previous one.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 02-28-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    At my age, I can only keep track of one thing at a time
    sammm, you ain't the Lone Ranger on that!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

The motor started after priming, even though the battery was dead. Used a charger. Only problem................it runs away when started. Need to get into the carburetor tomorrow. Check the linkage, then tear into it. Might even be the fast idle solenoid malfunctioning because the battery has no voltage, although I'd think the alternator would supply full voltage once the motor starts. Check it out tomorrow.
    Knowing you hate my unsolicited advice... I'm going to try to keep you from needlessly tearing stuff apart that you dont need to.
    If its running away when you start it, make sure the idle solenoid plunger is traveling to the idle position freely. I had a bobcat years back that went to the moon when I started it, Turned out a bunch of bugs moved in through the vent hole and stopped the plunger. Had another that the weather had swelled the solenoid core and stuck the plunger, a split dowel and some emery paper in the drill smoothed that out.
    Worst thing you can do with these little machines is to run it off a charger with a dead battery, I really hope you didn't kill a board.

25. Likes whtbaron, mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    What a shame to neglect a good piece of equipment like that.

Ya know, half the problems you seem to encounter in life could probably be avoided if you learned how to take care of things properly (lawn mowers/weed wackers/chainsaws etc etc)...... Geeze Louise
    everything
    No excuse for that IMO
    What a crap comment. I suppose everything you touch turns to gold?

Just read the rest of the thread, and seems there is a bunch of gang up on samm... not sure why, i only check in here every once in a while, but for ****s sakes, grow up boys. life is too short to be an *******..
    Last edited by daddy; 03-01-2022 at 05:33 PM.

27. Likes mla2ofus, AlabamaJoe, shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post

Just read the rest of the thread, and seems there is a bunch of gang up on samm... not sure why, i only check in here every once in a while
    Maybe if you showed up more
    You would realize samm brings this all on himself.

Nobody is ganging up on samm
    It just so happens that their are a lot of people in this thread with common sense.

So take your millennial bellyaches down the street.

Thank you.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

29. Likes 12V71, Oxford1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would realize samm brings this all on himself.

Nobody is ganging up on samm
    I would disagree with that. I didn't see Samms posts as directly asking for advice, particularly your kind of advice. Unless you know Samm and his situation (I don't), I doubt you know enough about his resources, etc. to make a valid assumption about what his options were/are. Yours was also given in a mocking manner, not as friendly advice and apparently was given despite your knowing how it would be received; probably was given for that reason.
    I saw Samm posting the thread both to show how bad damage from critters can be, his blowing off steam, and maybe even realizing himself that he should have kept better track of the machine. I sometimes get in similar situations, more from outside occurrences I can't control affecting things here I otherwise would have no problem with. Many people do nothing, some do more and some try to do too much. To me, the second would be boring, the first being like self-imposed jail.

Here, we have both roof rats that roam the entire neighborhood, that don't take most poisons [plus newer, effective ones have been outlawed], get to know many different types of traps, and yes, breed like rats. We also have laws that refuse to incarcerate human rats, letting them out on the streets soon after being caught for serious and frequently violent acts. Not everybody can afford to rent a sealable shipping container or has room for one, even if it were given him. Few ordinary people can afford to keep armed guards to protect catalytic converters, the entire automobile, or especially their house or apartment interiors when they're not home.

31. Likes wb4rt, WenValley, Shootr, rhunt, mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I would disagree with that. I didn't see Samms posts as directly asking for advice, particularly your kind of advice..
    Welcome to the Internet.

Its a welding forum, people comment.

Btw, anything I say here, I would say in person.
    Nothing is out of line.
    But its not a church group… if your feelings are hurt, perhaps you need a hug.
    Fact is,
    Samm neglects things repeatedly.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

33. Dislikes wb4rt, mla2ofus disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Internet.

Nothing is out of line.
    Fact is,
    Just looking at the tractors would tell you how they are kept up. I believe it's a 2 prong approach, abuse and neglect.

Post Thanks / Like

It's obvious jonht believes every small farmer can afford a 40'x60' rat proof building to store everything in. We've all become used to johnt's holier than thou attitude so just let life go on. You just have to roll with his little jabs. If he becomes more than you can stand there's always the ignore option.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

36. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Internet.

Nothing is out of line.
    Fact is,
    As I said, what do you actually know about Samms situation, either physical, monetarily or time-wise?
    Since you didn't address any of the arguments I made in my post and are resorting mainly to emotional aspects that have no significance to me, I won't waste more time trying to enlighten you.

38. Likes Shootr, John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Since you didn't address any of the arguments I made in my post.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221