Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: When the Cat's Away........

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When the Cat's Away........

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post

You continually prove you serve no useful purpose here and apparently need to act like the class clown to get attention. I shall try to just ignore you, henceforth.

2. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When the Cat's Away........

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I shall try to just ignore you, henceforth.
    You should have done that from the beginning.

My comments to Sam had nothing to do with you.

So take your self righteous BS and head down the road.

Thank you.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

My comments to Sam had nothing to do with you.

So take your self righteous BS and head down the road.
    And Samm's comments had nothing to do with you. [Unless you identify with the rats he was berating]
    You, the one preaching about the internet, again showing your uselessness and that you can't take the criticism...

5. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I got away lucky. But, while I was installing the battery........................................... .....

Name:  ranger16.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  213.0 KB

Name:  ranger17.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  197.7 KB I guess it could have been worse. The only chewed wires I could find, on a close examination, were the ones coming from the low oil pressure shutoff switch on the block.

Name:  ranger18.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  190.5 KB Thank God Lincoln puts a complete wiring diagram on one of the shrouds(whew!!)

One wire goes to the hour meter, and two got the connector block IIRC. Only glanced at the diagram for now.

Name:  ranger19.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  211.7 KB The wire that goes up to the hour meter is inside a loom that has about maybe 8-10 wires in it..............AND THEY'RE ALL WHITE Which means I have to completely strip the loom, and trace the wire to the other end. And the damn loom has a fork in it..........geez.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohm meter is your friend. 9 volt duracell is also useful for tracing wires. Miller wire harness has white wires with numbers....

8. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    Ohm meter is your friend. 9 volt duracell is also useful for tracing wires. Miller wire harness has white wires with numbers....
    That's too easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As usual I wound up doing it the hard way

Post Thanks / Like

Now.......there's two ways of lookin' at this...........

One...............Lincoln feels that usin' all sorts of silly colored wires would just confuse folks.

Two.................Lincoln gets a killer deal on WHITE wire.

Name:  ranger20.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  235.3 KB

Name:  ranger21.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  202.0 KB

One final splice to go, and it's a done deal. Figured, since it's about 82* here, I'd stop for a glass of iced tea. Actually, I'm worried about what's gonna happen when I fire it up

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you showed up more
    You would realize samm brings this all on himself.

Nobody is ganging up on samm
    It just so happens that their are a lot of people in this thread with common sense.

So take your millennial bellyaches down the street.

Thank you.
    I guess calling me a millennial is supposed to be an insult. I have no interest in an internet squabble. Won't comment further, I said my piece. Have a nice day.

13. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    And Samm's comments had nothing to do with you. [Unless you identify with the rats he was berating]
    You, the one preaching about the internet, again showing your uselessness and that you can't take the criticism...
    Hey I thought you were ignoring me..

They always come back.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    I said my piece. Have a nice day.
    You as well my friend.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

https://vancouversun.com/life/style-...nstrual-equity

Guys might want to read this - PMS is a tough struggle for some. My brother used to call it “pack my suitcase.”

My friend’s Lexus threw a “main battery” code and the repair bill was going to be 8-10,000 Loonies and when they got it apart, it was rodent-chewed wires; with a little gum and glue it was repaired. She drives this car every day and the culprit is soy-based insulation. Another wonderful idea from the same gang that brought us the coiled mercury-filled lightbulb that our moronic governments mandated that we use.

Get a grip.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mice are a constant battle although I seem to be able to keep the rats under control. Having food flavored wiring won't help. My fuel truck sat in the shed most of last summer in between spraying and swathing. When I went to use it, the vents were plugged with interior fuzz, the defrost fan wouldn't turn and the entire air cleaner outside of the filter had been packed full of canola seed. It happens...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

The motor will start when you put gas directly in the carb, but won't run for any period beyond that little bit of gas. It won't start on its own. When cranking, it puts out a mist/vapor cloud from the exhaust.

I believe,, although I can't exactly remember, that the motor would start on its own yesterday. This was after repeated priming to make the fuel pump eventually draw gas from the tank.

So anyway.............. Acts like not getting gas.

Name:  ranger23.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  181.5 KB Having owned the welder for about 14yrs, I'm used to this possible issue, and know where to look. If you look, you can see beaded water on the air cleaner plate(circled), and inside the bore of the carb on top of the choke plate. The gasoline is full of water.

Name:  ranger22.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  183.1 KB Gas from the gas can on left..........gas from the tank on right. The welder isn't level, and the water probably was on the down side yesterday. Add clean fuel, and only the clean fuel draws. Let it sit a day, and the water emulsifies in the clean fuel. Now you have water saturated fuel.

Luckily, there's only a couple of gallons in the tank. I'll tilt it so that I can get most of it out with a siphon, then refill it with clean gas. It's not surprising that the tank has water in it. It's been sitting empty for a very long time.

An added note: Had the LWS check on PC boards for this machine (it has 2). The main board is $300 . It's nice to have an old machine He thinks that I shouldn't need any boards. I guess I'll find out when I solve the fuel issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Subtle hint.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  ranger25.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  239.6 KB Filled 3 partial buckets draining the tank. Look carefully at the bucket sitting in full sun, you can see the water separating out of the gas. You can see the darker band on the bottom of the bucket.

Name:  ranger24.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  217.1 KB Used the Uranus TD211 for the task.

Name:  ranger26.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  242.8 KB A very long length of brake tubing attached to a small hose. Made it up years ago. Mostly use it to siphon water off the bottom of my diesel nurse tank, but it's handy for any tank that needs draining..........provided the filler neck allows for its insertion.

Name:  ranger27.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  184.7 KB A midstream sample as the draining process started. A bit o' water.

Name:  ranger28.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  194.7 KB Another midstream sample near the end of the process. A very tiny bit of water at this point.

I run 100% gas in my power equipment. You can see here, that it's beneficial. The water will stratify to some degree, instead of emulsifying. But sometimes it does emulsify if there's enough water in the tank for a long period of time. I probably could have quit draining the tank at the time I took the second sample.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 03-03-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we gots liftoff

24. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Runs good with the choke out…..
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

And it won't shut down unless you put your hand over the carburetor intake IIRC..................sometime a while back, if ya took the time to read it.............the shutoff solenoid is bad. Tain't done with it yet. Need to find the damn thing before I can replace it. Got it years ago, and it's floatin' around somewhere in the shop, or the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    And it won't shut down unless you put your hand over the carburetor intake IIRC..................sometime a while back, if ya took the time to read it.............the shutoff solenoid is bad.
    Yeah I read that.

Iffin it were me….

I would take that carburetor off and give it a good cleaning.

And I would also replace that gas filter even though you obviously have some kind of emotional attachment to it.

I’ll probably forget about the shut off solenoid also.

Just put a quarter turn gate valve in the gas line
    When you want to shut it off just turn the gate valve
    It will run itself out of gas.

That will eliminate SOME Of the gas in the carburetor… for the next time you let it sit for two or three years.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Brother had a Miller with a Kohler & bad solenoid. He used to pull a spark plug wire to kill it. Had to be pretty tough to do that.

29. Likes Race Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    Brother had a Miller with a Kohler & bad solenoid. He used to pull a spark plug wire to kill it. Had to be pretty tough to do that.
    That makes no sense, if the ignition is "off" there should be no spark. The "shutoff" solenoid on the Kohler was only intended to keep the engine from filling the exhaust system with gas fumes as the engine spun down and creating a backfire in the muffler. Had nothing to do with stopping the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    The "shutoff" solenoid on the Kohler was only intended to keep the engine from filling the exhaust system with gas fumes as the engine spun down and creating a backfire in the muffler. Had nothing to do with stopping the engine.
    Interesting.

I can see that.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

I can see that.
    I'm sure you do

Now, I could explain it to the two of you, but it would be a waste. Y'all don't know what you're talking about.

A fuel shutoff solenoid is exactly what the name says. It shuts off fuel to the carburetor. It has nothing to do with shutting off fumes. IT SHUTS OFF GASOLINE THAT CAN BE DRAWN INTO THE CYLINDERS WHEN THE MOTOR IS SHUT OFF. The welder will go into high idle at the same time the engine is shut down, and fuel shutoff solenoid activated. I assume there is spark during this high idle, because the engine does not backfire. The little bit of remaining fuel, sucked into the cylinders, is burned before it reaches the exhaust. Probably controlled by the control board, but I'm not sure about this.

A common no-start on these engines can be caused by the fuel shutoff solenoid sticking closed, or a bad coil in the solenoid preventing the needle from coming off the seat. Another problem is run-on if the solenoid doesn't allow the needle to seat.

My welder has had the problem for quite a while before I put it up. It would not start,, or would run lousy after starting...............bang on the solenoid,, and it would start and run. Also..........................the engine would not shut off without me closing the choke all the way. High idle, but fuel still getting to the cylinders. It just runs on at high speed. Turning the switch off does not make the motor shut down (this goes to my theory that the board supplies spark at shutdown). Again, banging on the solenoid would make it stop running.

Because I told ya what you need to know, which ya won't believe, I found ya a video or two. I really hate to see people labor through life with lack of knowledge, let alone spread it as Gospel.

Watch the moving pictures boys