Thread: Changing torch style on plasma cutter?

Post Thanks / Like

Changing torch style on plasma cutter?

I was looking at plasma torches earlier. Just wondering... any reason I couldn't put a different style torch on my machine? I have an import 50A machine with pilot arc. It takes AG-60 style consumables. I don't have any reason to get a new torch, so this is just a theoretical sorta question. Maybe if I drop the torch one to many times or something? I dunno.

The torch I have is actually really nice. If I replaced it, I'd probably get the same one, maybe with the 25 foot lead instead of 13 foot.

Those Hypertherm torch consumables look pretty cool though. Lot of options with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Changing torch style on plasma cutter?

there are differences with Plasma torches, there are HF start arc and blowback start. They cannot be exchanged also the consumables can be different too. Even the connectors are different so not much mix and match there. Many of the cheap torches are similar and you can also find cheap Hypertherm consumables but they are not as good and will not last. If you want Hypertherm than buy one, the torches alone are over $500 each
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Changing torch style on plasma cutter?

Yeah, I saw the prices.

You seen how much the Snap-On plasma cutter cost?! Look up the Snap-on PLASMA60i. $7,000 for a 55 Amp machine. You can't even get it painted to match your toolbox!!!