+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why The Tire Scumbag Retired

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why The Tire Scumbag Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here...but you bought Chinese trailer tires, the most notorious of ALL tires for failing, kept them five years, they (of course) failed....and this is somehow the fault of the retired tire guy who sold them to you?
    Did you note in the Ukraine war news, that cheap Chinese tires were one of the problems with Russia's advance? Bogged down in mud, the sidewalls would tear from too much torque applied.

Someone who had maintained US Army vehicles said his orders included to drive trucks monthly, and one of the objectives was to even out the tires' exposure to sun, and lessen flat spots. And the tires were replace at 5 years regardless of condition.

He said he recognized the brand of tires in a photo of a Russian truck bogged down with ripped sidewalls. Cheap Chinese junk that he had evaluated for purchase. He found that quality of that brand was too poor for Army acquisition. Also he wondered if the invasion vehicles had been parked without maintenance for years.

He surmised that the failed tires in the photo were years old, also that using that brand might reveal that a supplier to the Russian military had substituted inferior tires as a profitable fraud. Or bribed someone who wrote the purchase specs.

This detail may be one of many explanations why the Russians didn't advance as they had intended. And shows that provisioning the invasion army, was rotten with corruption from top to bottom.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

2. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am missing something here...but you bought Chinese trailer tires, the most notorious of ALL tires for failing, kept them five years, they (of course) failed....and this is somehow the fault of the retired tire guy who sold them to you?
    Guess it mostly depends on the quality of the tires. This trailer was built in 2014, has Provider tires, and is still runnin' on those tires today(shrug)

Name:  donor1.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  150.0 KB Probably the best Chinese trailer tire's I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy, my Freestar tires lasted over ten years until I loaned my trailer out, and they drove a nail in the sidewall parking it..Put exactly the same tire on as when I bought it, and zero issues either. Just changed them out for the trip to get the Cincinnati.. I think your heat kills tires, and just does not effect us up here too much.. It's why we all have TPMS because of all the Broncos in Texas driving 100 MPH ,100 plus heat, and Low tire pressures. (morons)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I think the tire guy did it just to mess with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I think the tire guy did it just to mess with him.
    I resent that.....

It's our job!!!!
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

7. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well ST tires need to run the air pressure that is on the side of the tires or else they get hot unlike LT tires which are forgiving a lot of people don’t like to keep trailer tires aired up cause they pull rough
    Turning with three axle trailers is hard on tires especially when you turn sharp corners and cut them backing into a tight spot
    We have a lot of 3 axle duel wheels up here and they are hard on tires

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Did you note in the Ukraine war news, that cheap Chinese tires were one of the problems with Russia's advance? Bogged down in mud, the sidewalls would tear from too much torque applied.

Someone who had maintained US Army vehicles said his orders included to drive trucks monthly, and one of the objectives was to even out the tires' exposure to sun, and lessen flat spots. And the tires were replace at 5 years regardless of condition.

He said he recognized the brand of tires in a photo of a Russian truck bogged down with ripped sidewalls. Cheap Chinese junk that he had evaluated for purchase. He found that quality of that brand was too poor for Army acquisition. Also he wondered if the invasion vehicles had been parked without maintenance for years.

He surmised that the failed tires in the photo were years old, also that using that brand might reveal that a supplier to the Russian military had substituted inferior tires as a profitable fraud. Or bribed someone who wrote the purchase specs.

This detail may be one of many explanations why the Russians didn't advance as they had intended. And shows that provisioning the invasion army, was rotten with corruption from top to bottom.
    My Chinese tires failed 100%. They were all less than a year old, less than 500 miles. I specified to my tire dealer I wanted the best tire available. I was told in the size & load specs, only Blue Star are available.

I recently replaced the 1961 tires on a tractor, another tractor had 1985 tires, I replaced because of damage, not age.
    Last edited by Willie B; 03-22-2022 at 07:27 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    My Chinese tires failed 100%. They were all less than a year old, less than 500 miles. I specified to my tire dealer I wanted the best tire available. I was told in the size & load specs, only Blue Star are available.

I recently replaced the 1961 tires on a tractor, another tractor had 1985 tires, I replaced because of damage, not age.
    You need wider implements and more snow to spin in... not wearing those nasty old tires off fast enough...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

He learns the really hard way. Usually self inflicted.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it mostly depends on the quality of the tires. This trailer was built in 2014, has Provider tires, and is still runnin' on those tires today(shrug)
    So, why didn't you simply buy Provider branded trailer tires again? You'd had those for at least 2 years when you bought the others, and clearly had good results with the tires...why take a chance on something else??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Doug View Post
    The 14ply Hankooks seem to last good but i have alot better luck with used LT tires on my trailers. I bought a trailer with new trailer tires and most didnt make it 1000 miles. I havent looked but they i bet they are 3 years or older.When i can i will replace my tires with LTs .
    Per our shared experience with truck tires vs. trailer tires...........................I hooked up with Hancook 235/85-16LT's. $175/tire mounted, including disposal fee. I would also have been happy with Firestone's, but they aren't available from the new outfit I've been dealing with, since I dumped the old bstd about 3yrs ago (over failure to warranty 6mo old tire with tread separation)

I took a look at the LT tire on the hay trailer that was replaced on a trip from Texas in 2011...................Looks like a tire with low mileage STILL. Kelly LT tire. DOT date on the tire................2011. Still rollin' down the highway. Trailer tires suck in the larger diameter. The only ones I have to put up with are the small 15", and below.

The outfit I'm dealing with now (always have bought fuel, and tractor tires from them), will warranty workmanship (tread separation) on a pro rated basis.

Anyways.............I'm with you, and a couple of others.........no more stinkin' trailer tires on the heavier trailers.

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy,
    at some point the DOT date becomes Moot anyway..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that tire dealers specialize to some degree. Pete's is new to this area, (7 years). I drive past their Rutland facility often, they seem to specialize in trucks. Other dealers specialize in passenger cars. A few, like Rouse were three generation family owned. ALL the farmers in a 50 mile radius dealt with Rouse. Charlie Rouse, John's father often manned the service truck to mount tractor tires without removing them from the tractor. A successful businessman with an excellent reputation for customer service, all the farmers spoke highly of him. I found his son John to also be the owner of a great company to do business with. No bargains to be had, but satisfaction was near certain. I was sad to see them sell out to the chain company.
    The manager of Pete's Tires need to learn a saying that it can take years to gain the trust of a customer but it can be lost in seconds.
    __________________________________________________ _
    I could not care less where anything is made. I don't fall for the myth that locally made is 'better'. If I think something is good value for ME, I'll buy it. That said, I do like European quality

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Llundberg View Post
    The manager of Pete's Tires need to learn a saying that it can take years to gain the trust of a customer but it can be lost in seconds.
    I'm hearing rumors that John Rouse has started up a new business. No advertising, smaller crew. It must have been pretty overwhelming to have his business grow beyond a controllable size. I hope it goes well for him this round.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

The last set of triaxle trailer tires I bought from Rouse, I'll have to look to determine the brand, can't remember. 6 tires 3 years, no problems.
    The tires from Pete's: 6 tires failed in less than one year.

I've changed tractor tires before. I felt it is easier to change tractor tires on the tractor. I won't say it's fun, but easier than wrestling them on the ground. These were just too stiff. I needed a bigger me, or bigger tools, at least more know how. After one on Friday I called to explain my predicament. John & Caroline had left, but an employee said sure, we'll change them. Bring them right away. I explained I'm more than an hour away, Wheels are still bolted to the tractor. He said: "get them here by 4, we'll change them.
    I was there by 3:10. A little fellow started the job, turned it over to a 6'5", 300 LB "gentleman" who proceeded to bully these tires onto the wheels using the magical combination of strength & know how.

I'd have never bought a tire from anyone else.

18. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    You need wider implements and more snow to spin in... not wearing those nasty old tires off fast enough...
    Double ring chains in snow. Not a lot of spinning going on.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m fortunate. Never owned or used tire chains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I’m fortunate. Never owned or used tire chains.

I got a set that were too small, but they were cheap. I thought I would just expand them to fit the 24.5x34's .... I'll never do that again.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hearing rumors that John Rouse has started up a new business. No advertising, smaller crew. It must have been pretty overwhelming to have his business grow beyond a controllable size. I hope it goes well for him this round.
    Do keep us informed. I'll be needing tires in the not too distant future.
    Glen

Red-D-Arc EX300 (Miller XMT304)
    Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I can find the warranty card for this one. They just put it on the sprayer in 1975. Not sure about the tire, but that has to be the toughest tube ever made... I don't even know how long it ran in the stubble poking out like that...

Name:  IMG_0309.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  113.0 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, some of the impliment tires last a long time, still got some loaded heavy at 50 yrs. I do tractors too. I usually take them off. Brother breaking 1, helper loading 1

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shifting away from fluid and adding more steel weight where possible.... rims aren't getting any cheaper and the damage just isn't worth the bother.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes Meltedmetal, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We only used fluid in the early days. Cheap and easy.

When I retired only a few tires were liquid filled.

I’ve sold a couple tons of cast iron front suitcase and wheel weights over the last few years. Took quite a while as I advertised according to application and fitment to garner top dollar.

This stack is all I have left and is being picked up next week.

:

28. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to make some changes then when I started figured out the price, still got all the old. I am not sure why iut took me so long to do my own, it was rather rare I needed work, new came with the service but after watching someone get paid to watch and fuk up the fill figured out we could do it. At first I looked at all the "special" equipment tand then figured out we didnt need any of that stuff and could do it off the shelf we now do them. Made tool from old innertube fitting.
    Have a machine also.
    Last edited by Sberry; 09-24-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The haybaler guy came with a flat the other day, some pos and says,,, can I do something with it, I had another so,,, he starts babbling something about tubes and I had to get his attn,,,, I said,,,, why would you ever put a tube in a common tire wasnt loaded? He really dont know other than he done it that way before.
    Had another come by with arm load of stuff, going to put 60 in tubes for tires could be replaced for 30,,, well,,, they keep losing air without tubes. DUH
    Last edited by Sberry; 09-24-2022 at 09:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist