+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have a voltage question.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a voltage question.

I am right at the panel, I never thought to run drop test but was curious why I needed to turn the machine up a little. So I check, standing 247 with 122 on one leg and 124 on the other. Seems its a pinch higher actually than the last time I checked. I got some big fat wire from the tranny, no load considering the feed. How much are legs typically out of balance? I could understand if there was some significant lopsided load and have seen that.
    I went to a park, they had events, was a small place and all of a sudden they had vendors and by some mere fate had a 60 from a long wire and 49A on one leg and 1 on the other. Right now I cant recall what the voltage was but we move a plug or a breaker maybe and got the beer trailer on another leg and it spruced right up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have a voltage question.

All of the ones that I've measured have been within 0 - 2 volts at the feed with no load. Depends on if other houses are hooked into the same transformer.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

I am 2 with no load and only service on the tranny.

Post Thanks / Like

Your power company will hold the voltage +- 10% approximately.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I am right at the panel, I never thought to run drop test but was curious why I needed to turn the machine up a little. So I check, standing 247 with 122 on one leg and 124 on the other. Seems its a pinch higher actually than the last time I checked. I got some big fat wire from the tranny, no load considering the feed. How much are legs typically out of balance? I could understand if there was some significant lopsided load and have seen that.
    I went to a park, they had events, was a small place and all of a sudden they had vendors and by some mere fate had a 60 from a long wire and 49A on one leg and 1 on the other. Right now I cant recall what the voltage was but we move a plug or a breaker maybe and got the beer trailer on another leg and it spruced right up.

Post Thanks / Like

Center tap is halfway between ends of the secondary coil. Sometimes it isn't exactly center. No load imbalance of 1 or two volts doesn't concern me. Loaded imbalance of more difference than 1 or 2 volts probably indicated a bad connection in a line from the transformer, most likely the center tap, or neutral. Keep an eye on it, damage is costly.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Center tap is halfway between ends of the secondary coil. Sometimes it isn't exactly center. No load imbalance of 1 or two volts doesn't concern me. Loaded imbalance of more difference than 1 or 2 volts probably indicated a bad connection in a line from the transformer, most likely the center tap, or neutral. Keep an eye on it, damage is costly.
    If it is the neutral conductor failing, test voltage two ends of the phase under load. They should be near 240, maybe 230 if long, or heavy load. Then check each line to neutral. I do not want to see more than the same 1 or two volt difference.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist