+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welder Brands Question

Post Thanks / Like

Welder Brands Question

We all know about the big brands: Miller, ESAB, Lincoln. Many hobbyists can’t afford the gold standards so they look at Harbor Feight. Now I see more YesWelder and PrimeWeld being thrown into the mix. I’m going to leave out the Amazon specials, since those change names so fast and aren’t really true contenders.

My big questions is, are Yes & Prime better than Harbor Freight or just different? Aren’t almost all components technically Chineseum?

Are warranties really that important? My LWS isn’t open on weekends when I might need something. But HF is. Yet, they don’t have parts, only consumables. So either way, I would probably have to take time off to fix a welder.
    Last edited by thebmrust; 04-07-2022 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder Brands Question

When you say repair a welder what kind of parts are you meaning?
    Gear: Esab power compact 205 with tbi industries torch
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a Yeswelder 205DS for a couple years now. I love the thing. I now run it off a 240V circuit, but got by just fine on a 120V/30A as well.

Their customer service is......odd. They do have a warehouse and contact in the USA. I needed a new tension knob, it took a couple phone calls but I got it OK.

The key I believe, is when you buy one, buy a warranty along with it. I bought mine thru Amazon with the 3yr warranty. Anything happens at all - they fix it or send you a full refund (most likely a refund).

If your plans are to make a business with a welder - you might want to step up to the big three. I'm a hobbyist/artist/tinkerer and rarely, if ever go past 3/8" thickness and it's been a champ. Look up Mike Festiva on YouTube. He's a straight shooter even though lately he's been a beta tester for Yeswelder on new models. I think his reviews are thorough and unbiased.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Go here and check out some of BigTB1717's welder tests, and tear down videos. He has nothing nice to say about Yeswelders https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRg...OLXv-dVLCqqGjg

Not all Chinese welders are the same. Based on his videos, and the feedback from Shovelon (Terry), AvE (video below) and a few others, I would have no trouble trusting a HF welder, nor would I have any concerns over a Klutch unit, or even a Primeweld, based on the reports of wonderful customer service.

Brands I won't touch with a ten foot pole: Yeswelder, Amico, Everlast, AHP, Amazon chinese flavor of the month

Its your money spend it where you like. But if you want my advice, that's it.

( )
    Miller Multimatic 255

5. Likes Oscar, Brand X, MinnesotaDave, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think all of those mentioned are the same. The only one you're going to be able to pick up the phone and quickly talk to someone in this country who can help will be if you get a Primeweld. If it's a HF about the best will be a replacement if the unit dies under warranty.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

The harbor freight welder warranty may come down to the store managers interpretation of how it works or how long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    The harbor freight welder warranty may come down to the store managers interpretation of how it works or how long.
    basic warranty is only 90 days.

Iffin' ya want 1 or 2 years it is extra
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Is Eastwood also considered the same level as HF welders, or the likes of Titanium and YesWelder brands? I too am only a hobbyist. I have a flux core only Titanium 125 currently. I've been looking at the eastwood 180 with spool gun in case I ever want to try aluminum. It's a ways away, but I like doing my research.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    When you say repair a welder what kind of parts are you meaning?
    Field replaceable parts. Like stripped tensioner, feed wheels, liners, etc. not a circuit board, or deep internal parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with Everlast & can recommend them. They have several great Facebook groups worth checking out. Supposedly in the next few months or so, they will be offering a 5 year warranty that includes shipping. So if you aren't in a hurry, it might be worth waiting a while to place an order. They do carry a parts inventory and are available over the phone for sales and support.
    Millermatic 255
    Everlast Typhoon 330
    Ready Welder I
    Hypertherm 30XP

12. Likes xmmancharl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    Is Eastwood also considered the same level as HF welders, or the likes of Titanium and YesWelder brands? I too am only a hobbyist. I have a flux core only Titanium 125 currently. I've been looking at the eastwood 180 with spool gun in case I ever want to try aluminum. It's a ways away, but I like doing my research.

Eastwood is a US based company with a phone number you can call. They also have a 3 year warranty on their welders. I've bought other things from them without issue, and wouldn't have an issue buying a welder from them.

I haven't had to work with their support thought so I can't speak from that point of view.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Miller Econo Tig

14. Likes LittleTreeGuy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember when Sears use to have their repair shops in every major town? The would also repair items they didn’t sell (at least ours did).

One could probably be very successful if parts were available from all the different welders. But I’m sure some (Lincoln?) will only sell to weld shops to keep their brand loyalty high.

But it’s possible that Harbor Freight, Everlast, and maybe YesWelder equipment quality will improve over time. Once HF has a regular 3 year warranty and better repair options, it could become a major player that may put Lincoln, ESAB, & Miller on their heels.
    Last edited by thebmrust; 04-08-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a miller! it cost more up front but they are very reliable and will rarely wear out!
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor freight Chicago parts you can find on Amazon and Ebay.
    Most welders have same problems with parts.
    The name brands Hobart, Lincoln and Miller have a good reliability and parts. But you pay for this and the name.

If you good above price ($500.00) of the Chicago line you may want start looking at name brands.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by thebmrust View Post
    We all know about the big brands: Miller, ESAB, Lincoln. Many hobbyists can’t afford the gold standards so they look at Harbor Feight. Now I see more YesWelder and PrimeWeld being thrown into the mix. I’m going to leave out the Amazon specials, since those change names so fast and aren’t really true contenders.

My big questions is, are Yes & Prime better than Harbor Freight or just different? Aren’t almost all components technically Chineseum?

Are warranties really that important? My LWS isn’t open on weekends when I might need something. But HF is. Yet, they don’t have parts, only consumables. So either way, I would probably have to take time off to fix a welder.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all miller, but over the last 5 years it seems that everlast has really grown quite a bit. A lot of people seem to have them, professionals included.

Post Thanks / Like

I had Miller for 30 years and Hobart for 40 years. They last for ever.
    In retirement I have a small Harbor Freight Chicago 170

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    I have all miller, but over the last 5 years it seems that everlast has really grown quite a bit. A lot of people seem to have them, professionals included.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had all the name brands (Miller, Lincoln and Thermal Arc) and can't say anything bad about any of them.

I did buy a new Everlast a dozen years back but didn't like it.

I was fortunate to recoup most of my purchase price a few months later as that particular model incurred a major price increase.

That being said I know several members have had good luck with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I have nice welders, but I can't weld for flip anymore So, I might as well have an Everlast, for all the good any of them do me these days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I have nice welders, but I can't weld for flip anymore So, I might as well have an Everlast, for all the good any of them do me these days
    Even more reason to have something that works well.. Nothing like dealing with machines that don't perform well.. Yes, the small China made units weld as nice or better then the older Miler/Lincoln/ Esab/ Thermal-arc machines did in their price points..I prefer the short-arc performance of my Klutch 220si over anything I could ever get of of my Lincoln C-300 powerwave.. I do prefer owning quality units out of USA/Austrian/Japan, but there are some excellent stuff made in China.. If China did not make excellent stuff ,your Miler/Hypertherm/ Lincoln machines would not even work at all..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

23. Dislikes MinnesotaDave disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd never buy an everlast.
    Not after they screwed so many of the early buyers - and used easily proved fake reviews.
    I have a long memory for that sort of thing...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't throw all of China machines in with Everlast. I would not buy them either, but every last American made welder is mostly made up of China made electronics. Everyone's. Assembled in USA is as much as a scam as Everlast in a somewhat different way..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Not after they screwed so many of the early buyers - and used easily proved fake reviews.
    We are on the same page there. I dont go for the " customer is always wrong" mentality. Another is the customer paying for shipping IF they decide to honor their " warranty".

27. Likes Brand X, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice they only ask the question and has not posted since.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Observation:
    It sounds like there are effectively three levels of welders:
    LOW: Random Amazon welders.
    MID: YesWelder, Everlast, Harbor Freight, etc.
    TOP: Miller, ESAB, Lincoln

Immediate parts:
    Depending on your town, the LWS may not be open on a weekend or evening. So parts are not available.
    The low range equipment, no one has parts or they aren’t available to anyone. Between the two, this is almost a wash.

Support:
    Top level companies have very good support behind them. The mid level are mixed and low level don’t exist. This easily tips the sale for top level.

Build Quality (reliability):
    Easily top level wins BUT… mid level has caught up considerably in recent years. Low level equipment can be bought multiple times vs top level one time (buy once cry once?). So instead of repair, replace.

The issue is that only mid level equip can be bought off hours. Hit a HF or farm store for amid level equip.

In a way, the mid level equip might just barely eek out the better value for the $$.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like there are effectively three levels of welders:
    LOW: Random Amazon welders.
    MID: YesWelder, Everlast, Harbor Freight, etc.
    TOP: Miller, ESAB, Lincoln
    There's no way I would put YesWelder in the mid-level category. Based on all the reviews I have seen and especially the way they stretch their specs, its no different than the average random Amazon welder. I would probably put Harbor Freight and Primeweld in the low category, Klutch, and Hobart in the mid category and you can add HTP America to the top category, in my opinion. I am not sure where I would put AHP or Everlast. They just have such a bad reputation for bad customer service, but some people swear by them.
    Miller Multimatic 255

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist