Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extension cord question. I need your expertise guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extension cord question. I need your expertise guys.

This 10 gauge 100 footer with 50 amp ends supports my two machines flawlessly. Yea the recept is a surface mount type but I don't beat on it and still as good as day one.

I don't need but like 33 amps for Dynasty 280 and even less for Multimatic 200 machines I use it for.

Last edited by danielplace; 04-19-2022 at 07:04 PM.

2. Likes California, NotaVegetarian, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    ... Yea the receptacle is a surface mount type but I don't beat on it and still as good as day one.
    Works for me!

My adapter from the ancient 'stove' outlet at the panel in the barn to 6-50 welder receptacle, uses a Leviton 6 ft stove pigtail.

Name:  20220420_131603rWelderPigtail.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  123.2 KB
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

4. Likes danielplace, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Logged in for reference

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about all the source etc but I happened to see a pop up that had Yes Welder 40 ft 10 welder cord come up. I think it might be the first 10 ready made I have seen??? 82$ @ 40 ft which I would like if I was considering this.

Post Thanks / Like

The 40 would be perfect for guys that think they need 25,,,,,, hahahahah I have used the surface ends that way also,,, have taped some foam pad around them. While its true they are not strictly legal guys like us are taking care of our own stuff and not so many laborer's brutalizing the stuff. On jobs repair ends and those thibngs not allowed,,, not always so much that it doesnt work or a guy cant install the wires right to make it safe but that there would be a cobble job of ends everywhere, not always right voltage or even wired correctly.
    Last edited by Sberry; 04-27-2022 at 11:29 AM.

8. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wrap "bumpers" around those leviton style surface mount receptacles - Two bands usually on the back and one around the face.

I used to use strips of inter-tube and rubber cement, or whatever tape I found lying around, lol.

I use silicon self bonding tape these days.

Post Thanks / Like

How did the Extension cord come out?

Note it maybe cheaper for longer distances to by a generator.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy RN View Post
    Hi fellas.

I finally saved enough money to buy a used Lincoln 180C welder. The problem is my outlet is about 40 feet from where I want to do my welding projects. Can someone tell me what size extension cord I need and how long I can get away with? I would like 50 foot. But I could get away with 40 foot. Or is that too long to use with my 180c? I'm just going to be welding on a 57 chevy and a trailer build.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys. And thanks again for the help/advice. So if I'm understating this correctly, some of you use a 40 amp dryer plug for your 220 machines? I thought that would damage the welder. Again, I'm not going to be making long welds. But even with a 8 gauge cord, wouldn't that stress a 220 volt machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy RN View Post
    Hi guys. And thanks again for the help/advice. So if I'm understating this correctly, some of you use a 40 amp dryer plug for your 220 machines? I thought that would damage the welder. Again, I'm not going to be making long welds. But even with a 8 gauge cord, wouldn't that stress a 220 volt machine?
    I'm a stickler, USA power is not 220 volt. Power companies give 240 at the transformer, you lose some as line loss. Most welders are designed for 230 as at least one choice.

MOST inverter welders work fine at a variety of voltages, but voltage X amperage give wattage. If the combined group of conductors provide serious voltage loss, it might not supply even an inverter.

Transformer based welders are more sensitive to voltage loss. They are designed for specific voltages. When provided with very low voltage the magnetic field in the transformer is weak. It provides less magnetic choke (impedance) Current rises significantly, the welder works harder to do its intended work, a greater share of the energy consumed goes to heat inside the welding machine. It won't perform as well & it may shorten the life of the insulation in the transformer.

That's my opinion.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys. And thanks again for the help/advice. So if I'm understating this correctly, some of you use a 40 amp dryer plug for your 220 machines? I thought that would damage the welder.
    Again, I'm not going to be making long welds. But even with a 8 gauge cord, wouldn't that stress a 220 volt machine?
    2 things here,,, first,, the load you are applying has nothing to do with the breaker. In thjis type of circuit it serves 2 purposes. 1st is to let enough current to pass thru and second is to provide short circuit protection, both to the circuit and some and in some cases all the parts of the machine.
    It is NOT a tyhermal limit in this type of circuit in the sense it is often thought,, the connected load is the limiter. The machine you are hooking up likely has a number 12 wire unless its a 250 mig. (if it comes factory cord and plug). As Willie said, they are designed to work at lower vo0ltages than out 240,,, some all the way down to 200. The buzz box was designed when nominal was 220. Comes with a 12 cord, lists 75 ft of 12 wire at Max output.
    But even with a 8 gauge cord, wouldn't that stress a 220 volt machine?
    8 guage is great, no stress at all, cou8ple steps better than the machine actually needs, use a 50 breaker if you want to use full size units, the machine will glow like a cinder before you warm the wire.

14. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the machines listed for 208 and not all but some upsize thge wire when changing from 220 to 208. At the lower voltages the drop would be more concern, at 240 almost none. Machine will run 208 or 220 for that matter doesnt care if it drops from 245 to 240. Most of the code was written when it was 220. Typical load on a buzzer in the 43-44A range now at 40 and even less, the DC machine is rated 36 on it6 and 48 on the AC side which is a concern if its turned to 225. I dont believe I ever turned one that high???
    Last edited by Sberry; 05-05-2022 at 08:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I plugged a 1500 watt block heater in to a 16 cord. Forgot the thing. Took a week and warmer weather to overheat the end, Didnt outright burn it up but would have with much more.