+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel pipe post and rail fence pricing and question

Post Thanks / Like

Steel pipe post and rail fence pricing and question

Last post I saw on here about this was 7 years ago, so, regarding labor, what is the going rates out there and how is the best way to figure the bids on different designs? Like if they want just top rail with panels or multiple rails or top rail with 4 strands of sucker rod?
    And with welding on the top rail, 2 3/8 pipe, is there a trick to not having the warping at each post, where the weld pulls the top rail down a bit on each side of the post ? It’s minimal and I haven’t had anyone question it, but I see it.
    thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steel pipe post and rail fence pricing and question

Quote Originally Posted by Mastmec View Post
    Last post I saw on here about this was 7 years ago, so, regarding labor, what is the going rates out there and how is the best way to figure the bids on different designs? Like if they want just top rail with panels or multiple rails or top rail with 4 strands of sucker rod?
    And with welding on the top rail, 2 3/8 pipe, is there a trick to not having the warping at each post, where the weld pulls the top rail down a bit on each side of the post ? It’s minimal and I haven’t had anyone question it, but I see it.
    thanks.
    To eliminate the pull on the top rail, heat shrink a spot on the top. Heat a spot the size of a 50 cent piece in the center, hot and fast almost to the melting point and let it cool. It will pull back. It will take a bit of practice to get it perfect, but once you do it's easy and doesn't take very long. Use a rosebud not a cutting tip. Water cooling will speed things up but it's not necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

You can mod a c-clamp to presses down on the point above the joint and pulls the rail up, then weld the joint Complements of Brainfarth. Or William McCormick posted his version of a lever with a hook on one end and a fulcrum in the middle apply pressure at the opposite end. It needs to be stout built. The hook goes under the rail, the fulcrum goes above the joint and the clamp goes opposite the hook and clamps the lever to the rail.

I have made both. I prefer Mccormicks design. Both work to break the back and give a straight rail. I used a hole saw to form the hook. Things need to follow the center line of the lever
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tapwelder; 04-14-2022 at 02:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I alway calculate by hour or day.
    This gives what time takes the multiple the hourly rate ( the hourly rate will change over not time)

The materials by pound or ton again multiple by cost plus markup. (Weight does not change over time but does)

One best ways of figuring the time is from last job by taking notes of time it took you to do.

Dave

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how you build and quality rail you are
    Building. Architectural quality will cost more
    Than industrial or agricultural quality. Pipe fabrication labor cost quite a bit more than standard rail because of the amount of handling involved before welding( cutting and referencing round stock is time consuming), the amount of welding per joint, finishing round material and designing for transport and site installation.

You could charge per joint, easily measurable timewise.

When I here “sucker rod” I think used material and pipe fencing and Texas?

6. Likes shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge hourly. When I put together a bid I figure my material cost plus my actual labor cost (employee wages/taxes/etc) then I add $1300 day minimum this covers my overhead, consumables and profit . It's not scientific but it pays the bills and cash flow. https://www.securitydoorgatefence.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I had other say " The art of quoting ".

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SDGF View Post
    I don't charge hourly. When I put together a bid I figure my material cost plus my actual labor cost (employee wages/taxes/etc) then I add $1300 day minimum this covers my overhead, consumables and profit . It's not scientific but it pays the bills and cash flow. https://www.securitydoorgatefence.com/

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.
    seems like i see posts like this at least every 6 mo., not every 7 yrs. i wouldnt get into bidding that, or fork out my $ for pipe etc., id tell the customer to pay for it, and name ur hourly rate. sounds like agriculture, if so, it probaably aint worth the effort fighting the warpage, i'd think 6011 would cause less warpage than some others

10. Likes shortfuse liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist