Thread: 380v 3 phase inverter welder wiring help

Post Thanks / Like

380v 3 phase inverter welder wiring help

hey there. i picked up a jasic tig300p for $120 dollars, and it seems to be a solid unit, with zero english written on the controls lol

but anyways, im a backwoods fella with zero 3 phase service from the mains, but the shop has a high tech digital inverter setup but its 120/120/208..

the machine won't accept this and gives error 04.. question is, is i believe i have a 440 transformer.. that is also not 380v but can i run at lower hertz ?

what are my options from either single phase, or the 208 3 phase, to get this unit striking an arc ? my head hurts from trying to figure this out, so if anyone can link me to previous posts i havent found yet or if anyone has a good answer for me that would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 380v 3 phase inverter welder wiring help

That can be a problem
    Transformers are not cheap.

You may get luck and there internal taps for other voltages.

Most USA made welders will have either 240 or 240/480 some will also have 208.
    I seen some that have 208,240,415,480 and 575 volts.

Over sea would have taps for 220,240 and 380

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by elphhh View Post
    hey there. i picked up a jasic tig300p for $120 dollars, and it seems to be a solid unit, with zero english written on the controls lol

but anyways, im a backwoods fella with zero 3 phase service from the mains, but the shop has a high tech digital inverter setup but its 120/120/208..

the machine won't accept this and gives error 04.. question is, is i believe i have a 440 transformer.. that is also not 380v but can i run at lower hertz ?

what are my options from either single phase, or the 208 3 phase, to get this unit striking an arc ? my head hurts from trying to figure this out, so if anyone can link me to previous posts i havent found yet or if anyone has a good answer for me that would be great.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 04-13-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elphhh View Post

Do you have, or can yo obtain a manual for the welder? I agree about looking inside to see if it can be wired to run on lower 3-phase voltage.

By "inverter setup", are you meaning a solid-state device to produce 3-phase from single-phase? Also, hertz means cycles per second which is 60 for most AC power supplied in the USA, 50 in much of Europe, New Zealand and ???

A transformer converts one voltage to another (or others) and has limitations on the power it can handle; more details about your "440v" one (and about the other equipment involved) would be required to know if it might be usable for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Where in the world are you?(And have you seen Carmen Santiago?)
    Does this site have any useful information?
    https://www.jasic.co.uk/tig300p
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Does this site have any useful information?
    https://www.jasic.co.uk/tig300p
    From the bottom of This Page:

-------------------------

A number of terms are used for the process such as:

TIG Tungsten Inert Gas

GTAW Gas Tungsten Arc Welding

The TIG welding process consists of an electric arc to provide heat created between a non consumable electrode and the work piece to be welded. The molten pool created by this arc is shielded by a gas which is used to exclude the surrounding atmosphere from the weld area.

The most common gases used are inert such as helium or argon as they have no reaction with the weld pool and being transparent provide the welder with good visibility of the arc. Sometimes a reactive gas can be added such as hydrogen which can increase the heat of the arc and speed of welding.

The TIG welding process produces very high temperatures of up to 19000C. The TIG arc only produces a source of heat and if additional material is required to complete a weld then this is added either manually or automatically in the form of a consumable TIG filler wire.

The TIG welding inverter power source can be either single or three
    phase input and have either TIG DC or TIG AC/DC output.

The DC TIG welding inverters are used in the welding of materials such as stainless steel, steel, copper etc whereas an AC welding inverter will be used to weld materials such as aluminium which have are refractory oxide coating.

The welding inverter will generally have an output open circuit voltage of between 60 and 90V. The TIG welder will provide a constant current type output and the current varies little with arc length changes although the longer the TIG arc is, the wider it becomes and is harder to control. The TIG Inverter will normally contain all the process controls, power supply unit, arc starting unit, gas valves and optional controls for additional cooling.
    --------------------

It appears the machine can run off either single or 3-phase (at 400v, +/- 15%); the manual may discuss proper wiring; I didn't look.

Post Thanks / Like

You only have two choices. Find a line adjustment inside the welder if any. or find a transformer that will give you 380 volts at your line voltage. either boosting it up from 240 or bucking it down from 480. Where I worked before they used a line matching auto transformer to operate machines that needed 380 volts. Had lots of taps. you just put the line wire on the correct labeled connection. and the machine on the 380 connection. You may have to find an electrical parts house in your area and see what the can find. be prepared to pay a lot.
    The auto transformer over a step down isolation transformer has a smaller amp drop.