Thread: Syncrowave 250 Won't Turn On

Post Thanks / Like

Syncrowave 250 Won't Turn On

Hey guys, I've had my Syncrowave 250 for many years and it's been a great machine. The other night I went out to the shop to finish up a batch of parts and the machine would "click" on and then immediately go completely dead. After checking a few of the obvious things i decided to unplug the water cooler and foot pedal while it was off and then turn it on. Well that worked, machine powered on I plugged in the water cooler and foot pedal and proceeded to weld with it for a few hours with zero issues. I just went out today to use it again and it's completely dead. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the switch on, no clicks, the gas solenoid doesn't trigger, etc. The main power switch appears to be working, I have power to the two wires on one side of the switch and when I turn it on I have power at the two wires on the opposite side of the switch. I have both side covers and the top cover off and I don't see anything obvious wrong. The little red light above the power switch does not come on. Any ideas for me? I'm hoping it's not the main board. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Syncrowave 250 Won't Turn On

Sounds to me like possibly a bad connection inside, something that a systematic examination should be able to find. It's hard to troubleshoot remotely, particularly without pictures, the right schematic, and details about any other tests you have done. For example, did you toggle the Remote switches to see if that had any effect? How did you determine where you have power; a test lamp or VOM? Are you sure the breaker supplying power to the machine's circuit has not opened? Do you have the manual with the circuit schematics? Does that unit have a constantly-running fan, or is it wired for On Demand?

Post Thanks / Like

This unit is fan on demand. I have not toggled the remote switches yet but will do that in the morning. I know the breaker in the main panel is good because when I plug something else into the outlet it works fine, and the breaker is not tripping. I was using my voltage sensing pen to determine if I had power pre and post power switch which I do. Is it possible the switch would be letting enough power through to trigger my pen but not enough to turn on the welder?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the pens detect a fluctuating magnetic field; if so, poor contacts letting only a little current through would cause it to light. A voltmeter would also respond similarly though. I'd look further on before checking/testing the switch.... Except...With the unit unplugged, turn the switch off and on multiple times and then see if the situation improves.
    Do you have the schematic? If not, go to the page below, enter either the serial number or use the right blank (model, etc) to download (and preferably print for future record) the correct one.
    https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

A few of the members here are very good at diagnosing problems; you might have to wait for one to come here and help if you can't find the problem easily. Good pictures showing all the insides clearly are often a great help.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just tried to post some pics but it appears I can't post pics to the forum from my phone? I tried toggling all the switches with the main power switch both on and off and nothing happened. It appears the indicator light runs from/through the main circuit card? Since I have power coming out of the main switch but the indicator light isn't lightning perhaps the circuit card is bad, or power isn't getting to the circuit card? I've pretty well looked over the machine at this point and haven't found any loose connections/burnt wires, etc...