Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Loading Chute

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loading Chute

Tractor supply - if there is one near you.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...-_-MIG+Welders

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you shouldn’t have left the machine out in the rain like your lawn mower.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  chute50.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  196.6 KB

Name:  chute51.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  229.7 KB And, the work keeps on a-rollin'

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you get out the stick and some 1/16 rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomA View Post
    If you're referring o welding the pins in the holes shown, it might, depending on the fit, be sufficient to just peen the edges of the holes inward. The pins would thus be secured but if needed, they could be more easily removed by just driving them out from one side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Basically, you broke the machine and then blamed the machine instead of fixing it.
    Give the dog a bad name and hang it...

Wire welders are complicated... there's an awful lot going on in a MIG/MAG/FCAW arc. Constant voltage, stickout, inductance, wire speed, and if anything is slightly not right, they run like crap. Simple as. It's all about maintenance!
    I refer back to my previous post, Sam but if you want to keep breaking machines and replacing them... just keep on doing what you do
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I refer back to my previous post, Sam but if you want to keep breaking machines and replacing them... just keep on doing what you do
    Uh................you mean use them??Name:  wave-finger.gif
Views: 339
Size:  3.0 KB

8. Likes shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    If you're referring o welding the pins in the holes shown, it might, depending on the fit, be sufficient to just peen the edges of the holes inward. The pins would thus be secured but if needed, they could be more easily removed by just driving them out from one side.
    They'll be welded, then ground flush. I don't ever anticipate replacing the wheels in the lifetime of the thing.

Knowing that rust will be a problem, the holes in the wheels are drilled 1/16 oversize so they won't ever seize up. The thing probably won't be used more than maybe 2-3 times a year. And, it will doggone sure never get a drop of oil on it

Post Thanks / Like

For the wise azzes....................................... https://www.ebay.com/str/ser41sosa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15497131197...cAAOSwzzdgf1i~

Speed control is apparently a common problem on these welders.

They're not industrial welders.

One of the complaints I've always had, is how the power diminishes the longer you use the machine. After a few minutes running, you have to decrease stickout to almost zero in order to keep running with the same results as when the work starts. I've never had one shut down due to thermal overload, but the sparkler just keeps getting weaker, and weaker.................and the gun gets almost too hot to handle.

The 240v machine has been better than the old 120v machine in this regard, but it still comes up short when you have a bit of work to do.

I need to slap the carb back on the Ranger, and get the LN out. But that ain't gonna happen for a while.

I'm close enough to finishing out, that I can limp on in home with the thing. Yesterday I found that if you go up one, or two, clicks beyond the usual setting on voltage, the thing will still put out an arc. It's sort of all, or nothing, at this point. Go up to #4 tap, reduce the wire feed roller tension to the point it almost starts slipping, and give her Hell If you move fast enough, you can keep from blowing through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomA View Post
    I read your post, and was sitting here looking at the premarket trading.............and it occurred to me that I used to buy Forney rods at the milling company in Stillwater. They carried the little rods in bulk bins. You paid by the lb.

I did quite a bit of sheet metal work on my old swather with those rods back in the day.

It looks like they're still available https://www.acmetools.com/forney-e60...25%20-%2030%25

Post Thanks / Like

I never owned 1/16" welding rods, so I looked on eBay, and Amazon,,
    For some reason, 6013 is 50% more than 7014,, so, I ordered a couple pounds of 1/16" 7014,,

I would imagine they should be similar to the 6013??

I was going to build a steel bluebird house, so I kept an old washing machine that my daughter was gonna trash,
    That ought to be a good test of the rods,,,..

We will see if the squirrels can get past the 7014 welds,, those squirrels flat tear up a wood bird house,,,

Post Thanks / Like

I've used some 1/16" 6013 and 7014 rods in some special cases. Really whippy. Kinda like welding with a stick of thin spaghetti! Don't drink too much caffeinated coffee beforehand..... Sometimes I use them to fill in holes and buggered up plug welds to make them pretty as a pig with lipstick on.

Post Thanks / Like

Sammm, I mighta missed something but why arent you using the LN25?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Sammm, I mighta missed something but why arent you using the LN25?
    Because the engine drive still isn't running.

16. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Because the engine drive still isn't running.
    Are you sure about that? I ask because my understanding was that it being down was a huge crisis, probably requiring a complete, component level teardown and re engineering...even higher priority than not building a mud based gantry to half am angstrom tolerance so that the engine on a clapped out Oliver could be not pulled and not overhauled so that hopefully the cows couldn’t be fed, all of which was worked in between visits to the ER, since making and keeping appointments is for lesser, common folks.

18. Likes 12V71, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    Are you sure about that? I ask because my understanding was that it being down was a huge crisis, probably requiring a complete, component level teardown and re engineering...even higher priority than not building a mud based gantry to half am angstrom tolerance so that the engine on a clapped out Oliver could be not pulled and not overhauled so that hopefully the cows couldn’t be fed, all of which was worked in between visits to the ER, since making and keeping appointments is for lesser, common folks.
    Well... that about sums it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    Answers my question.

Edit: he aint going to be able to measure 1/2 an Ångstrom with plastic vernier calipers tho

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  chute52.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  201.3 KB Schweeeeeet. Welder still running like crap, but if you fight it, it runs good enough to get 'er done. Set at volts for 3/16-1/4(which is insanely hot)............. welding 14ga/11ga. Run like a striped azz ape, and it will do it. Slow down, and it drops a bigazz hole through the metal. Enough to finish out. Worry about the damn thing later.

Another one in the books. This one is done, and gone. Was nice to finish out this evening.

K'kins did the operating thing, and it suited her........so we're good to go. A days worth of work on the ramp tomorrow, and we're ready to hit the road.

22. Likes Insaneride, whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If that flat deck Ford had a tall tow boom on it, you wouldn't need a gantry crane.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good from here.

25. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Looks good from here.
    For sure... that's tough enough for bison. Most cattle penning I see is made from 1" steel tubing.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

27. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    I've used some 1/16" 6013 and 7014 rods in some special cases. Really whippy. Kinda like welding with a stick of thin spaghetti! Don't drink too much caffeinated coffee beforehand..... Sometimes I use them to fill in holes and buggered up plug welds to make them pretty as a pig with lipstick on.
    I remember how wiggly they were, for sure. And........to do really thin stuff, you had to run them so cool, that keeping them lit was a real challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Another one in the books. This one is done, and gone. Was nice to finish out this evening. K'kins did the operating thing, and it suited her........so we're good to go. A days worth of work on the ramp tomorrow, and we're ready to hit the road.
    Remember sammm, pictures or it didn't happen. In this case, short video of a cow getting run through the chute. The other photos ain't got no ACTION!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Remember sammm, pictures or it didn't happen. In this case, short video of a cow getting run through the chute. The other photos ain't got no ACTION!!!
    That's a tall order Have to figure out a way that it can be done without K'kins face showing. She will not allow herself to be shown on YouTube. She is absolutely firm on privacy. Might be able to do something where she can face away while operating the gate.

I believe the only video of her, is her back, while feeding a bottle calf. I can put a bag over my head, but I don't believe she'd stand for that

31. Likes rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Oh, pardon me................the stinkin' Lincoln 180C is around $1800. F'n wonderful. Probably a bit better than the little 120v machine, or not.
    The Lincoln 180C is overpriced. The only benefit over the box store 180's is it has Continuous Voltage selection- That's a lot of coin for that option.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge