+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools/machines you bought that were a mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tools/machines you bought that were a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post

I have multiple air guns (nails and staples) that I RARELY use.
    I have tools I rarely use, but when I do, most of them I absolutely need; nothing else can do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Dial indicator style sheet metal gauge. Looked nice, but stupid. You can just use a mic.

Bathroom scale. Oh COME ON!!!!!!! Like yer ever gonna use it?????????

3. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Dial indicator style sheet metal gauge. Looked nice, but stupid. You can just use a mic.

Bathroom scale. Oh COME ON!!!!!!! Like yer ever gonna use it?????????
    Yeah , those dial thickness gauges are probably not real useful in
    most home shops. They are much better than micrometers for
    “in process “ measuring of sheet materials in mills. Measuring
    thickness of material that’s moving at a several hundred feet per
    minute is pretty challenging with a micrometer. Also for good sorting
    parts by size.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Big DeWalt plunge router and tenon-making tools...still in boxes for 15 years. Decided against making cedar furniture. One of my best friends just had his shop and 40 years worth of tools burn. Will be gifting those to him.

6. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, the Ultra Jig from Yesteryear Forge has been one of those things I really regret buying. It's top quality all the way around and I've used it to make thousands of hooks and whatnot, but now that I've had it for awhile I can see that I only ever really use it for making a few select sizes of bends. For the money, I would have been far better off trying to collect up circles of one size or another, making small jigs that were easy to move about. The UJ is 3/4" thick, 14x14", iirc, and is a bear to get in and out of the vise when I need it. Plus the holes for the pins don't go all the way through so any scale and dust just builds up in them until you either blow it out or flip it over.

For $400 plus shipping.... well, I wish I knew then what I know now!

Post Thanks / Like

We are in an era now where a lot of stuff is soi much cheaper, all different than true production equipment but even a common grinder can be had for 30$ is really a trade worthy tool. Its still easy to get sucked in to the "best" and live in fear of a little loss so I spend out of fear instead of looking at a pretty good HF record now, beats the snot out of Sears the last 30 years. Today would look for the generic versions first and then upscale, kind of reverse of older thinking as much with the buy once idea. Truth is so much stuff we thought would be temp or utility ended up in real service, still there. Contrary to a lot of popular belief the cheap combo wrench has been a blessing, made more with those than the good ones in the long run.

9. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, same with lot of jigs/pullers. So many a use or 2, dont need every one in the set and the universal not always the easiest,,, great some of it will do a 1000 things but we dont do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Gotta say, the Ultra Jig from Yesteryear Forge has been one of those things I really regret buying. It's top quality all the way around and I've used it to make thousands of hooks and whatnot, but now that I've had it for awhile I can see that I only ever really use it for making a few select sizes of bends. For the money, I would have been far better off trying to collect up circles of one size or another, making small jigs that were easy to move about. The UJ is 3/4" thick, 14x14", iirc, and is a bear to get in and out of the vise when I need it. Plus the holes for the pins don't go all the way through so any scale and dust just builds up in them until you either blow it out or flip it over.

For $400 plus shipping.... well, I wish I knew then what I know now!
    It's a cool looking jig though, looks well made!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  2021-07-02 07.43.33.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  105.9 KB

One of these grinders is a fake. It was 1/5th of the cost of the real one. I was really pleased with it for a while. Ideal having 3 cordless - one with a cut-off disc, one with a flap disc, and one for poly wheel or grinding wheel.

The brushless motor has plenty power, and it's got way more umph than the old brushed model, and the gearbox is quite decent on it.
    ...But it's let down with stupid cheap bits.
    The switch failed altogether because the internal linkage was weak. Had to brace it with some sheet metal and epoxy. It still doesn't work reliably every time.
    The spindle nut is cheap and loose on the threads. The side handle is horrible. (replaced these with old ones from a real grinder)
    Worst of all, the spindle lock button is glued together. When it fails, it drops the pin into the spindle and locks it solid. It fell apart once and I re-glued it. Fell apart a 2nd time on a job site last month and I wasted an hour running back to the shop to get a 2nd grinder.

I was furious with myself for being a cheapskate and I've sworn never to buy fake tools ever again. Just not worth it, not if you need them to work!
    Last edited by Munkul; 04-25-2022 at 03:23 AM.

13. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Name:  2021-07-02 07.43.33.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  105.9 KB

One of these grinders is a fake. It was 1/5th of the cost of the real one. I was really pleased with it for a while. Ideal having 3 cordless - one with a cut-off disc, one with a flap disc, and one for poly wheel or grinding wheel.

The brushless motor has plenty power, and it's got way more umph than the old brushed model, and the gearbox is quite decent on it.
    ...But it's let down with stupid cheap bits.
    The switch failed altogether because the internal linkage was weak. Had to brace it with some sheet metal and epoxy. It still doesn't work reliably every time.
    The spindle nut is cheap and loose on the threads. The side handle is horrible. (replaced these with old ones from a real grinder)
    Worst of all, the spindle lock button is glued together. When it fails, it drops the pin into the spindle and locks it solid. It fell apart once and I re-glued it. Fell apart a 2nd time on a job site last month and I wasted an hour running back to the shop to get a 2nd grinder.

I was furious with myself for being a cheapskate and I've sworn never to buy fake tools ever again. Just not worth it, not if you need them to work!
    Nice table........reminds me of your disparaging remarks about my table.................which hurt me to the quick...........nay, hurt me to the bone!!

Then, after therapy, I recovered(somewhat), and got to thinking...................

My cheezy, but adequate, table represents maybe two Momma cows that I can afford without a thought.(Maybe not a huge thought, but a thought, none the less.......let's not get crazy). The Uranus portable table trestles (model 17t) do a fine job of making up for a table top that somewhat resembles Swiss Cheeeeeez. Southern Engineering at its zenith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    hurt me to the quick...........nay, hurt me to the bone!!

Then, after therapy, I recovered(somewhat)
    I'm glad to hear of your recovery

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone buys little stuff they dont use but its the big early ones that hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought tools with spin'ny bits made of plastic. Plastic bits that spin don't last very long.

1) Low end Delta table top belt / disc sander with a plastic pulley on a metal splined shaft. Usable again after a dab of epoxy.

2) Remington brand 110v corded chainsaw with small metal drive gear to a large plastic reduction gear. New plastic gear +shipping was almost same cost as the saw, so declined. May find use for it's motor some day (wife accuses me of being a pack rat)
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 👍
    They stick out like a sore thumb 👍

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Everyone buys little stuff they dont use but its the big early ones that hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.chopcult.com/news/articl...rm-cycles.html

If you know any motorcycle enthusiasts who do fab and frame straightening they might like that table.

20. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    https://www.chopcult.com/news/articl...rm-cycles.html

If you know any motorcycle enthusiasts who do fab and frame straightening they might like that table.
    Cool... I don't think I'd have any regrets about that one...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    36" swing and 12.5" spindle hole.

Dave
    That sounds like an oil field lathe. We had a 48 X 244" lathe at the machine shop, but it only had a 4 inch hole through the headstock, no idea what it weighed, but was one of my favorites, my other favorite was the Horizontal boring mill.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

The only one that comes to mind is a 2 bladed saw I got at HF. Used it once and that was it.

Post Thanks / Like

Two things for me. First off Harbor Freight grinders. Garbage. But they were cheap at the $9.99 sale price at the time so no biggey. The big item I purchased that I am not pleased with is a Baileigh hydraulic programmable tube roller. It is about impossible to make repeat bends, even if the numbers on the display are the same from piece to piece. It marks up the tubing, NOT a good quality machine. Crap machine actually and it came with a big price tag. I still have it and use it but for repeatability and such there are WAY better machines out there. But that isnt news to anyone I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a cheap 9.99 grinder isnt in the same class as the bender. Even though we hear about a few survivors with that HF grinder they are really junk and just cant make it only so cheap. Now days you can get a grinder as good as most 100$ or more ones for about 40$. While this will bring the comments about power and all day truth be known where the work really is on overhead etc most people are not strong enuf for long enuf to really utilize raw power in a small grinder for very long and really simply overloading the wheel past a certain point anyway. The user here is not a teenager in a production plant, its intermittent. We all wanna feel like a baddazz with a grinder but that really aint so and if you are a pro and still leaning that hard on it long in to a career you are doing something wrong/

Post Thanks / Like

Freebird and Pop not leaning on grinders that much and worth noting in Birds pic working on heavy plate and a bat powered grinder sitting there, mostly cleaninmg grooves and slag from gap fill/stripper pass etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been disappointed with about every multi-miracle-tool I've ever bought. Swiss Army, Dremel, and Chicago Electric all came to mind right away.
    I recently bought a 'smart' inverter battery charger that's supposed to pulse charge bad batteries to disulfate the plates. It will pulse away on a good battery and be like 'RePaIreD', but the dumb thing refuses to work on any battery that actually needs it. Definitely designed by some participation trophy twerps.

28. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller 330 abp tig machine. I have never used it and it just takes up space. Any one want it? Make an offer. Next is the millermatic 35s with no gun. Never tried it and it’s just taking up space.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

This
    Name:  Z3F43zfo5o_.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  24.5 KBWorst piece of crap I ever had the displeasure of owning or being owned by...started falling apart 1st day i used it...fought that thing for 3 weeks and finally took it off my truck and had the guy from Ingersoll come look at it, he couldn't find the trouble so I put it back on the truck same **** happened...took it back off the truck and shot the damn thing 4 times with my double barrel 12 gauge and bought a Champion...been runnin that Champion 5 years now.

Im not so sure about this Chief 4 1/2-inch air grinder I bought from Harbor Freight either, for the amount of time Im goin to be able to use it with the humidity I might just give it to Joe for the fellas to use in the shop
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 10-16-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    This
    Name:  Z3F43zfo5o_.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  24.5 KBWorst piece of crap I ever had the displeasure of owning or being owned by...started falling apart 1st day i used it...fought that thing for 3 weeks and finally took it off my truck and had the guy from Ingersoll come look at it, he couldn't find the trouble so I put it back on the truck same **** happened...took it back off the truck and shot the damn thing 4 times with my double barrel 12 gauge and bought a Champion...been runnin that Champion 5 years now.

Im not so sure about this Chief 4 1/2-inch air grinder I bought from Harbor Freight either, for the amount of time Im goin to be able to use it with the humidity I might just give it to Joe for the fellas to use in the shop
    Bought one of those compressors last spring. Total junk, the Kohler seems to be the problem. Shakes everything apart. Got an older one with a 13 HP honda that does great.

32. Likes farmall liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist