Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help Design a winch mount for a dump trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Design a winch mount for a dump trailer

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I just can't figure some designs with the A frame attached to the tongue and the winch on the box which means you'd have to feed out cable at the same time the box is raising.
    I didn't realize we were talking about a tilt-bed trailer.

Even still, having to spool the cable out first thing is a good idea. That way, the cable is easy to access and you don't have to climb your way up a slope to get to the hook. Plus, I don't think there would be much tilting involved unless you only had one animal to pick up that day.... otherwise the first one would want to slide down the ramp you just pulled it up. Add in some mud and blood, maybe some rain, and that trailer would be a slick mess.

Better to simple grab the hook and spool out the cable as you walk backwards. Get the hook outside of the trailer to wherever your animals are. And if you need to raise or lower the bed, you can do it then.

It wouldn't be much work at all to have the bed tilt up even with the winch mounted to the tongue. The pulley on the bed would simply ride along under the cable you've already spooled out.

Now, since we're talking about spending someone else's time and money, might I suggest we go whole hog?

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  76.9 KB

Wouldn't be any trouble to build a genuine tower on the tongue of the trailer. Plus, think about the boost to his business when everyone sees what a professional he is?! Can't pass up quality advertising like that, imo.

Just gotta decide on what paint color to go with. I do like that red, white, and blue.....

2. Likes whtbaron, NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking truck.
    It is time proving too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I didn't realize we were talking about a tilt-bed trailer.

Even still, having to spool the cable out first thing is a good idea. That way, the cable is easy to access and you don't have to climb your way up a slope to get to the hook. Plus, I don't think there would be much tilting involved unless you only had one animal to pick up that day.... otherwise the first one would want to slide down the ramp you just pulled it up. Add in some mud and blood, maybe some rain, and that trailer would be a slick mess.

Better to simple grab the hook and spool out the cable as you walk backwards. Get the hook outside of the trailer to wherever your animals are. And if you need to raise or lower the bed, you can do it then.

It wouldn't be much work at all to have the bed tilt up even with the winch mounted to the tongue. The pulley on the bed would simply ride along under the cable you've already spooled out.

Now, since we're talking about spending someone else's time and money, might I suggest we go whole hog?

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  76.9 KB

Wouldn't be any trouble to build a genuine tower on the tongue of the trailer. Plus, think about the boost to his business when everyone sees what a professional he is?! Can't pass up quality advertising like that, imo.

Just gotta decide on what paint color to go with. I do like that red, white, and blue.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I would think the frame would need to resist both downward and front-back forces so the pulley would mount on top of something like this, with red symbolizing the upward (which could instead be the Cross bracing you already planned, modified to go higher) and blue showing the fore-back bracing.

Attachment 1738869
    Before I started this thread I wanted the A frame as you have it. My wife said you can not use the dump function, I then thought of using a hitch pin to release the A frame so It can dump. I have not mentioned that to the owner. So its possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Attachment 1738878 You don't need steel all over the place. Just mount the tubing inside the bed. Weld the plate to the sheet metal, then weld the tubing to the plate. 3/16 plate ought to do.

The sheet metal is plenty strong in the orientation you're looking at. All of the strength comes from the sides, not the front of the box. It will resist torque if plated to spread the load over a larger surface.................and the tubing,, in turn, resists torque.

Why resistance to torque? A winch isn't always pulling straight............it pulls up, and from side to side. Tubing resists force on all axis.

Put all those pulleys on, and you have problems if it isn't a straight line pull. And, if the bed is up..........now you're running a ton of line, plus your tongue mounted winch is now trying to pull off the tongue upwards.

Keep everything in the bed, and you're golden. If the dood uses the trailer for trash, an such.......make the mount so the winch comes off easy.....your receiver tube.
    He does not want the winch in the bed. That would be easy for me but he hauls gravel and such

Post Thanks / Like

BTW...........a 2x2x.250 piece of tubing is less strong than a 3x5x11ga piece of tubing. Structural elements are all about dimensions, not necessarily wall thickness. .250 tubing is 5.9lbs/ft.............3x5x11ga is 6.2lbs/ft

Fabricating is all about sizing your elements. You can always go heavier (3/16) which doesn't hurt..........11ga is your minimum. Steel costs money nowdays, it's not like it was 2yrs ago. You can work with less.
    I agree with you I happen to have 2x2 1/4 wall and with the price of steel I'm trying to save both of use money. I like rectangle steel for strength

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    The more I think about what he is using it for, the more I'm convinced I'd want a gantry crane trailer set up.

Similar to how a septic tank hauling truck is made.

Attachment 1738890

Attachment 1738891
    That is how I thought they did it before I saw his actual truck. The winch is mounted high and is a massive winch, like what a wrecker uses. He has like really long cables because horses die in stall and he has to drag them out

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the frame would need to resist both downward and front-back forces so the pulley would mount on top of something like this, with red symbolizing the upward (which could instead be the Cross bracing you already planned, modified to go higher) and blue showing the fore-back bracing.

Attachment 1738869
    This makes sense. I'm going to try and talk him into this. Its my original idea, triangles are just stronger. He may go for it.
    Last edited by Reebz; 04-22-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.... I guess there is no point in discussing the 2 sticks of dynamite under the front frame rails that I was going to suggest...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    This makes sense. I'm going to try and talk him into this. Its my original idea, triangles are just stronger. He may go for it.
    I didn't see any mention of the bed tilting earlier and agree with Vaughn about not using it for multiple animals. If he would then need a ramp, a sliding one could be mounted under the trailer and arranged so the close end could swivel up and lock to to the rear of the bed when in use
    To facilitate the bed tilt, the A -frame's inner post could mount on the frame instead of the rear box wall and could also be used to help tilt/dump the trailer box when full of rocks, assuming it doesn't already have some unmentioned device to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 1738869
    I could use both of our ideas and Use a Ratchet Straps.
    My A frame idea and the strap to counter balance and even the shearing force.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a dead wagon come get a horse once. I had drug it out by the county road. He pulled up on the road, raised his bed up, hooked the cable to the horses leg, started winching. Across the bar ditch. Bout the time the pony's body got to the rear of the bed it rolled & hung up on the bed. Driver kept winching & pulled the leg off. Had to re-rig to get it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Sean, one of my extra sons wanted desperately to bolt a wench to the front of his Jeep. He was upset when I mentioned it's illegal.
    At 6' 5" 250LBS, He's a very handsome man. I would expect any number of wenches might enjoy his company, providing she could distract him from talk of engine entrails & final drives. The search for a wench willing to be bolted to a Jeep might be more difficult.

He still pronounces it wrong, but has one on his latest Jeep, another on his Chevy 3500 dually. To this day, just shy of 40 years old, he hasn't found the right wench. Until he's done caring for his utterly dependent mother, I doubt he will.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

14. Likes whtbaron, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This guys family has been doing it for 40 plus years. He always has a funny story to tell. He has pulled many heads off of cows, he hates winter because he can not get as many frozen cows in is truck as he can warm ones. The list goes on, he is a good story teller and makes it fun

Post Thanks / Like

I've drug lot's of dead equipment into my trailer with this setup. 2-3000lbs has not been a problem. Same setup with an A frame or at least a snatch block higher up would probably help in your case. The rendering trucks I've seen have been old dump trucks with cranes on them.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/attachmen...1&d=1261280246

Yeah, it's a bad pic, but over a decade old at this point.

Mounted to the lower front, outside of box. Cable goes through the box wall. No issues yet with dirt or gravel getting into it.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 04-22-2022 at 06:20 PM.
    My name's not Jim....

17. Likes Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It hard to see this type business today.
    But guess some has to do job.

At less he can joke about work.
    👍 👍 👍

Dave

This guys family has been doing it for 40 plus years. He always has a funny story to tell. He has pulled many heads off of cows, he hates winter because he can not get as many frozen cows in is truck as he can warm ones. The list goes on, he is a good story teller and makes it fun

Post Thanks / Like

Boostinjdm's
    Thanks. I was thinking I have not seen post from you in a long time hope all is well I always learn from your post. I will float this by him. I imagine if he hauls 10 a day this could be a problem. It is a back up back up. He is getting a new truck soon.

Smithdor
    I agree its odd, dirty, nasty but needed. He hauls 80 dead cows and horses a week and business is growing. That's not including deer, calves, and foals

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like pays well too.

Dave

Boostinjdm's
    Thanks. I was thinking I have not seen post from you in a long time hope all is well I always learn from your post. I will float this by him. I imagine if he hauls 10 a day this could be a problem. It is a back up back up. He is getting a new truck soon.

Smithdor
    I agree its odd, dirty, nasty but needed. He hauls 80 dead cows and horses a week and business is growing. That's not including deer, calves, and foals

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  calf-1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  128.8 KB Can't say as I find anything amusing about a dead animal, nor funny stories associated with it. But I suppose it takes a certain sort of person to haul off Nature's garbage.

I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness when one dies, and has to be removed to the other side of the creek. Same when it's time to load them for market. The food chain is part of the unbroken circle. It deserves respect, and humility.

22. Likes rhunt, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say as I find anything amusing about a dead animal, nor funny stories associated with it. But I suppose it takes a certain sort of person to haul off Nature's garbage.

I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness when one dies, and has to be removed to the other side of the creek. Same when it's time to load them for market. The food chain is part of the unbroken circle. It deserves respect, and humility.
    That's true, but when one's daily work involves death and dying, in order not to think about that constantly, it's common to instead try to find other aspects to discuss or to joke about.
    Imagine a policeman trying to rescue someone from a mangled and burning car; reaching in through a broken window, an arm comes out without the rest of the body. Or a Forensic Chemist, after analyzing stomach contents for poisons, goes up to lunch and the Criminalists are eating something that closely resembles what he was just examining. A doctor is on call for his turn at the Hospital Emergency room, gets the notice, and soon finds a member of his family is the near-dead patient. It happens and has to be dealt with somehow.

For much less-common situations, there are other ways, sometimes including taking time off.

24. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Size:  128.8 KB Can't say as I find anything amusing about a dead animal, nor funny stories associated with it. But I suppose it takes a certain sort of person to haul off Nature's garbage.

Some are respectful. All are uncomfortable. Like EMS personnel, they make stupid jokes. I knew (RIP), & now know another EMS, make terrible jokes, compare decapitated heads to bowling balls. It's a way of dealing with terrible things.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

People how own horses 🐎 would hate that photo.
    They think you need to roll the 1,000 pound horse into a wood box.
    Good luck with roll and they will not help or even touch the dead horse.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Agree its gallows humor I suppose, ,I have friends that were homicide detectives in Akron same sort of wise *** humor. He is just a fun guy to talk to. I won't be seeing the trailer for a week the fuel system a mess on his regular truck. I imagine I will do a combination of post 33 and 34. If not steel on the A frame portion chain or ratchet straps

Post Thanks / Like

I have no intention to build or use a trailer to pick up dead animals, but I really enjoyed the comments and suggestions raised by everyone. Before I retired, we would call this a design review.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Lincoln LE 31 MP & Lincoln 210 MP

29. Likes Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure when the trailer is coming back, when it does I will snap some pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Well much to do about nothing. He has spent a ton on truck repairs and a new truck so he is not going to do the winch mount. Price of steel strikes again.