+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding chicken wire to rebar (yeah, really.....)

Post Thanks / Like

Welding chicken wire to rebar (yeah, really.....)

Don't ask me a bunch of questions, but I need to weld some plain chicken wire (1" mesh) to some 3/8" rebar.

First I'll cut the rebar into 3 1/2-foot pieces, then weld those into a square. Then lay the square over some plain chicken wire, cut around it, and weld the chicken wire onto the rebar. Probably cut the wire about 2" wider, and fold it over.

I have .035 NR-211, 6013, 6011, 7018, and 7014 available. It does NOT have to look good.

How would you do it? I'm thinking of using 1/8" 6013, just putting a little glob where the chicken wire crosses over the rebar.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding chicken wire to rebar (yeah, really.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Don't ask me a bunch of questions, but I need to weld some plain chicken wire (1" mesh) to some 3/8" rebar.

First I'll cut the rebar into 3 1/2-foot pieces, then weld those into a square. Then lay the square over some plain chicken wire, cut around it, and weld the chicken wire onto the rebar. Probably cut the wire about 2" wider, and fold it over.

I have .035 NR-211, 6013, 6011, 7018, and 7014 available. It does NOT have to look good.

How would you do it? I'm thinking of using 1/8" 6013, just putting a little glob where the chicken wire crosses over the rebar.
    Get a bunch of zip ties and save your sanity.

Post Thanks / Like

The 6013 or E71T-GS will do the job.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

5/64" 6013 would be my first choice of welding rod. You might want to tack weld a washer on top of the wire to hold it down. The mere exposure of the wire to the arc can cause the wire to burn up. Solid wire mig would be the best process, but you didn't mention it.

good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I have push the puddle into wire .
    Takes a little practice not to melted the wire.
    I do like 6013 too it is a good choice.
    But you have more control with wire like 0.030" ( E71T-11 or E71T-GS. )

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    5/64" 6013 would be my first choice of welding rod. You might want to tack weld a washer on top of the wire to hold it down. The mere exposure of the wire to the arc can cause the wire to burn up. Solid wire mig would be the best process, but you didn't mention it.

good luck
    Last edited by smithdoor; 04-23-2022 at 01:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A dozen years ago I needed to weld expanded metal to bed-frame (hardened) angle-iron. Besides the high-carbon steel of the angle, the grid was heavily galvanized, and a few hundred welds were required. I found using ER70S-6 wire w/ Co2 worked best. I considered TIG, but getting rid of all the zinc was difficult and that might have resulted in it popping onto the tungsten. I recall using a propane torch to preheat the material once it was either clamped or tacked enough to hold the work areas in position; not sure I did this with all the welds though.
    I have never used any NR-211 (although I do have some rolls of .035) so can't say it would behave better, the same or worse. I could also do it with 6013, but it would be more work and take longer, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lincoln wire NR211is E71T-11 witch is good wire. I would use 0.030".
    You can also use E71T-GS/NR212 it too is a good wire.

chicken wire is a pain in butt to weld or braze as melted fast.. It take a little practice not to burn though the wire.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    A dozen years ago I needed to weld expanded metal to bed-frame (hardened) angle-iron. Besides the high-carbon steel of the angle, the grid was heavily galvanized, and a few hundred welds were required. I found using ER70S-6 wire w/ Co2 worked best. I considered TIG, but getting rid of all the zinc was difficult and that might have resulted in it popping onto the tungsten. I recall using a propane torch to preheat the material once it was either clamped or tacked enough to hold the work areas in position; not sure I did this with all the welds though.
    I have never used any NR-211 (although I do have some rolls of .035) so can't say it would behave better, the same or worse. I could also do it with 6013, but it would be more work and take longer, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it would be pretty frustrating.
    Could you pinch the chicken wire between
    two pieces of rebar and weld the rebar together?
    Leave some chicken wire sticking out and weld in the
    spaces in the wire. You could use multiple short scrap
    pieces/drops.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Get a bunch of zip ties and save your sanity.
    +1

The chicken wire is just gonna fatigue out and/or rust out at the HAZ in short order anyway. I'd give it a month, less if it rains.

With zip ties, baling wire or even kite string, it could last for years.

10. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    +1

The chicken wire is just gonna fatigue out and/or rust out at the HAZ in short order anyway. I'd give it a month, less if it rains.

maybe use a galvanized spray after welding
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    That'll help with the rust but it won't help with fatigue caused by the hardening of the wire due to the quenching effect of the 3/8" rebar pulling all the heat back out of the weld and quenching the wire, leaving it hard and prone to fatigue...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    The galvanized spray will hold the wire just as good as a weld,, because the spray does not destroy the chicken wire.

Use a hot glue gun, or JB Weld,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    +1

Yea.... x2 for light wire.... zip ties are nice but they deteriorate in the sun and get brittle. Find a coated wire that won't rust.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. This won't be outside or exposed to anything; it'll just sit in the doorway of a greenhouse, to keep critters from getting in when the door's open. No load on the wire or anything. If it lasts a year, I'm good.

I'm planning to experiment a little this afternoon with some scrap, and see what works best. Good idea about the zip-ties... I do have a bag of 2 or 3 hundred little 5 inch black zipties. I'd rather weld it, though, because welding's a lot more fun....
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going ahead with the 6013, I'd maybe try reverse polarity if you have DC. Some rebars can be tricky to work with at the best of times. If the weld is too brittle, I would switch to 7014, but I still think those wire ties like we used to use laying rebar would be fastest if you have the tool to twist them. Maybe try welding 2 pieces of the rebar first, to get a handle on what it's like to work with before you add chicken wire into the equation.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 04-23-2022 at 09:54 AM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Yea.... x2 for light wire.... zip ties are nice but they deteriorate in the sun and get brittle. Find a coated wire that won't rust.
    The last electrical place that I worked at did a test of the zip ties,,

The "white" or translucent ones that let light go through failed quickly in sunlight,,
    The "black" or opaque colored ones that did not let light pass through lasted outside about as long as inside.

We always thought that the light was able to break the molecular bonds,,
    if the light could not get inside the material, the bonds did not break.

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quality plays a big role too.... I've had black plastic ones that weren't any good either... I think the better ones are more nylon.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I really thought I had to do anything related to welding I would braze it, but it would take some serious coercion to get me to do it. I would frame in wood and use staples like this:https://www.lowes.ca/product/staples...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    or sandwich it between 2 pieces of wood.
    For zip ties you would want UV resistant like this:https://ziptie.com/product/8-inch-uv...sted-100-pack/

My $0.02. Worth less than you paid for it.
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 04-23-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

I'd still use wire ties like these if you want it to last a season.... https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I think use stainless steel welding wire if it a home project.
    I have 10 roll of 0.023" 308 stainless steel wire that use like bailing wire. But does not rust. I also use for electric fencing too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I'd still use wire ties like these if you want it to last a season.... https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried it with some scrap chicken wire and rebar. Used all kinds of rods and fluxcore, various settings, etc. Holy crapola!!! No matter what I did, the wire melted instantly, like warm butter. Guess I'll grab the zip-ties.... Well, I tried, anyway...
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

25. Likes whtbaron, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrap the wire and use hog rings to hold it. Much better and neater than welding, zip ties, kite string, etc
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

27. Likes Tbones, Oldendum, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The finer the chicken wire(1" opening or less) , the lighter gauge wire they seem to use. I have tried to weld almost everything possible together, and that is one of the least successful endeavors(chicken wire to rebar). Save the welding for the frame work.

I have a spool of stainless steel aircraft safety wire that a friend gave to me 15 years ago. I've only used about 10ft of it tying things up where ty-wraps wouldn't work because of heat, or wouldn't fit because they were too thick. 023/030 mig wire would work too, but that would be expensive to buy if you didn't have some already. I think galvanized tie wire for suspended ceiling is much cheaper, and comes in several gauge sizes, available at my local Tractor Supply. I use plastic coated twist ties that I buy in a spool with a built in cutter for tying up tomato, eggplant, pepper plants, and cucumber and bean trellis's made from chicken wire or plastic coated fence. You might find them useful in the greenhouse too.

Name:  greentwisttie.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  75.5 KB

What kind of critters ? I just woke up to a 300 lb. black bear chewing on my garbage can. I'm not sure which is worse : a black bear, or a skunk ?

Good Luck
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. This won't be outside or exposed to anything; it'll just sit in the doorway of a greenhouse, to keep critters from getting in when the door's open. No load on the wire or anything. If it lasts a year, I'm good.

I'm planning to experiment a little this afternoon with some scrap, and see what works best. Good idea about the zip-ties... I do have a bag of 2 or 3 hundred little 5 inch black zipties. I'd rather weld it, though, because welding's a lot more fun....
    I agree with you welding is fun...but what your talkin about here seems more like self torture than fun...I would do the zip tie thing or just sandwhich the chicken wire between 2 frames made out of flatstock or round bar...that way you can have fun welding. Have fun doin it

Popeye

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Wrap the wire and use hog rings to hold it. Much better and neater than welding, zip ties, kite string, etc
    Hog rings are the professional grade tool for the job ! They require the right tool to do them well, and I can never find mine when I need them. Not really that expensive either.
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist