Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you weld this broken cast iron part?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How would you weld this broken cast iron part?

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    ,,, small furnace like they use for forging to heat it up ... You could make one with some fire bricks and a Tiger torch (weed burner).
    I heated with the burner from a turkey fryer when I had a simpler project, using nickel rod to re-attach legs and feet that had broken off of cast iron lawn furniture.

* Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simclardy View Post
    This is the h bracket

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Case uses a lot of ductile iron. Might be a genius able to weld it somewhere. I have a friend ignores all the warnings & labels cast into it: "DO NOT WELD" He tries again & again to weld. A similar part on a Case backhoe I bought an aftermarket part of fabricated steel. The Case part is $1300. The fabricated aftermarket part was $600.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

3. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go on Yoobtube and watch how engine blocks are repaired in the 3rd world…amazing.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

5. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Case uses a lot of ductile iron. Might be a genius able to weld it somewhere. I have a friend ignores all the warnings & labels cast into it: "DO NOT WELD" He tries again & again to weld. A similar part on a Case backhoe I bought an aftermarket part of fabricated steel. The Case part is $1300. The fabricated aftermarket part was $600.
    Ductile is great stuff but it is not really easily field weldable to get it right. The nodule carbon structure in the original casting is formed during cooling driven by a violent treatment with FeSiMg that cannot be easily reproduced in the weld zone without specific post weld heat treatment and proper weld materials and procedures. If that part is ductile iron (and given what it does, I'd suspect that it is) the repair would be expensive and probably less than satisfactory. If you can find a steel part like Willie did, I'd do that. YMMV
    ---Meltedmetal

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Yep, pricey, but this filler does not require preheat or special post weld cooling. There are a lot of antiques restoration firms in Los Angeles that can't find replacements to the original. I make my money and run.
    I've tried this product. Ending up with the infamous "TICK" during cooling .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    A lot depends on the part or where on the part the joint is. If the weld is constrained there is the possibility for cracks upon cooling/contracting. Sometimes it can be beat by going slow and allowing it to cool in between welds, sometimes not. If the joint is not constrained, (think tab on the edge for lack of a better example), good results are more likely. Cast iron is not the easiest material to weld repair, the material itself can be inconsistent. Results are never guaranteed.
    I have used braze with flux and torch, tig braze with silicon or aluminum bronze, nickel 99 stick and tig both hot and cold, and more recently EZtig. I have been getting good results with the EZtig, but don't use it every time.
    Ernie F.

10. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    I sometimes get the tick as well. If it is a crack I grind out and continue. If I cannot find a crack reckon the tick to shifting or my neck cracking.
    Everything on my bod is cracking these days.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Did you get job done?
    Dave
    No, I returned it to the owner, suggested he find someone with more experience to weld it!

Post Thanks / Like

Probably for best.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stoneaxe View Post
    No, I returned it to the owner, suggested he find someone with more experience to weld it!