+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma cutter questions

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma cutter questions

Getting to the point I’m looking into a plasma cutter. The two that have caught my eye are the Hypertherm 45XP and the Thermal Dynamics 60i. The cost difference between the two is not an issue, but they are close enough to be comparable. The TD unit seems to spec out a bit better, being it’s a 60 amp, has a bit higher sever, cut and pierce ratings. I’d like the ability to gouge, and hopefully whatever machine I get will go on a plasma table at some point. I mostly work on excavation attachments for me and hopefully soon, to sell. I’m fine with using oxy fuel to cut 1”+ thick stuff, but have been finding myself working on 1/2”-1” quite a bit lately. On paper it seems like the 60i might be a better fit, the larger 65 amp hypertherm is quite a bit more $$. Anyone have a preference between the two, or another comparable unit? Things like overall cost when cutting, life of consumables, etc. For the record, I have never plasma cut anything in my life, so total newbie. I would like the ability to drag cut, I’ve been making templates of things to drag my torch around, and feel I could really speed things up being able to drag right on the material. Thanks and I appreciate the knowledge available on this site!
    Esab Rebel EMP215
    A Mecalac 9MWR, a JCB 48Z, a few tractors, a hooklift truck, too many other rigs.
    @lsearthworx on Instagram
    Steelwrist Ambassador

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma cutter questions

Hyperterm has excellent setup video for plasma cutter...

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/hyp...powermax45-xp/

excellent torch setup...

3. Dislikes Excav8 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there was a thread on here a while back that covered most of this, but it would be good to see a redux of this topic as I am not sure how well the TD 60i has aged. Also it seems like the 45xp has to be pretty near its end of its product life cycle/due to be replaced with something new and improved. I had always heard that between the two, the TD unit was much much better at gouging.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a Hypertherm 65 on tables I have build and for hand cutting sheets. I cannot speak about the TD, but on PlasmaSpider.com you will find mostly Hypertherm units. I picked up a PM 45 used and it will go on the table I am selling. The comment by Louis above is not quite true he may be thinking of the PM45 the XP version is an update about 3 years old with improvements over the 45. One of the things Jim Colt said about the hypertherm is to look at the power output in watts as that is what really tell the cutting power. I think you will find the Hypertherm is higher. If you are thinking about a CNC table later be sure what ever unit you buy has the plug on the back for the connection to the CNC controller, and the voltage divider inside.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

I had both, and really like the 45xp for most people. For me, and the huge experience with TD. I have a 3 phase 60i.. It punches through plate much better, and faster on thicker stuff... Gouging is where the 60i has a huge advantage.. It's arc length is way longer.. Generally cutting and overall build quality goes totally to Hypertherm, but I accept the trade off.. Lot of money for either, so hands down safest bet is Hypertherm..I sold my complete package of 45xp stuff to a member here, and he is thrilled.. Cutting watts goes totally to the 60i.. I had the 65 hypertherm too.. I would say the 60i falls smack day right in the middle of those two machine, Had the Thermal machines on both sides of it, and Esab real ones too..

You will have more torch options with the Hypertherm too.. Although Thermacut has some interesting torch stuff for the Thermal. (using the Hypertherm consumables with their cool patents..
    Last edited by Brand X; 05-04-2022 at 03:55 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Use this primeweld multipurpose...

works okay, course not as good as that hypertherm!!!

primeweld

Name:  plasma front.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  162.0 KB

my aircompressor... harbor freight...reasonable price

Name:  my air compressor.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  170.0 KB

my two cents

Post Thanks / Like

The specialty consumable sold me on Hypertherm.

Flush cut consumables can cut bolts and rivets flush to the surface. Makes mechanical work on rusty sh*t a whole lot easier. Not to mention Hypertherm works well on rusty material.

There is also a long reach tip called HyAccess, this tip extends your gun by about 4 inches so you can reach into tighter spaces.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist