Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34

Thread: Budget fume extractor

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    6,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    I agree even outside

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    I do with Hazardous stuff like IE. Galvanized. etc.
    To be honest I want a air pressurized respirator system mainly because it's like having a fan blowing on your face especially nice once it climbs above the 100º mark.

  2. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
  3. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    6,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    Some types of metal it is good idea like galvanized steel.
    I use a cartridge type for some types of metal.

    Welding most steel like A36 I am outside and I just let the wind blow

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Does anyone wear a respirator while welding?

  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W. Wisc
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Does anyone wear a respirator while welding?
    I sure do, whenever MIG welding, and I am just a hobbyist. I find the fumes tend to make me feel sick pretty quickly otherwise. I tend to weld a bit, then open the doors and air it out with the fan. That way I don't have to worry about a breeze blowing the shield gas away. I don't use the respirator when TIG welding through, as it is so clean. A basic half mask is not what I would call "expensive". $20-40 and you are good to go for welding. Not talking about powered PAPRs or anything as those are expensive.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    That is awesome for keeping the room clear of smoke but you are still susceptible to breathing it with head right over the welding.

    Half mask is good idea still I think. Not easy to do when it is hot as heck though especially under a helmet besides.

    https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/r...irators-m00469
    Last edited by danielplace; 05-25-2022 at 05:34 PM.

  6. #30
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Landrum, SC
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    That is awesome for keeping the room clear of smoke but you are still susceptible to breathing it with head right over the welding.

    Half mask is good idea still I think. Not easy to do when it is hot as heck though especially under a helmet besides.

    https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/r...irators-m00469
    Thats the one I use. Fits good under the helmet.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

  7. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    This is what I used to have…







    I bought it new off eBay. No box or manual for under $1000 Cdn shipped. It worked okay but not great.

    A welding shop in town rented it from me for a shopping mall renovation job which paid for most of the initial cost. Then I sold it


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  8. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Does anyone wear a respirator while welding?
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    In a home/hobby shop?

    I doubt it... but you never know.

    weldors wear them all the time professionally. But they are pretty pricey $$$ for the average joe.
    After 5 years in my own home shop which is 10x20 and gets
    Banked down real fast, i just started wearing one.

    Worth noting the hours i spend doing this as far exceeded the hobby level. So the expense was worthwhile.

    It was $1300 and is a half mask style as I did not want to wear a welding helmet style non stop when I’m plasma cutting etc.

    I will say it’s disturbing to see how much crap it picks up. A few hours will ruin a pre-filter entirely.

    And i get to pretend I’m Bane…
    Name:  6BFC3C36-DD5E-4B24-8F19-5D662B8C0B92.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  36.1 KBName:  1AE9DF9F-B460-4F1C-89F1-EF35B2521EEB.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  106.2 KBName:  F3E3E352-8528-496B-863E-8B913594825F.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  133.0 KB
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 05-28-2022 at 04:28 PM.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    6,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    For if welding A36 and outside I do not use a mask 😷.
    If going the store I do wear mask 😷 .

    At 110°F it get very hot to wear mask.

    FYI I been longer that most on this site my chest Xray is great and the oxygen leave in blood is 100% .

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    After 5 years in my own home shop which is 10x20 and gets
    Banked down real fast, i just started wearing one.

    Worth noting the hours i spend doing this as far exceeded the hobby level. So the expense was worthwhile.

    It was $1300 and is a half mask style as I did not want to wear a welding helmet style non stop when I’m plasma cutting etc.

    I will say it’s disturbing to see how much crap it picks up. A few hours will ruin a pre-filter entirely.

    And i get to pretend I’m Bane…
    Name:  6BFC3C36-DD5E-4B24-8F19-5D662B8C0B92.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  36.1 KBName:  1AE9DF9F-B460-4F1C-89F1-EF35B2521EEB.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  106.2 KBName:  F3E3E352-8528-496B-863E-8B913594825F.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  133.0 KB

  10. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MidWest
    Posts
    567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Budget fume extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I sure do, whenever MIG welding, and I am just a hobbyist. I find the fumes tend to make me feel sick pretty quickly otherwise. I tend to weld a bit, then open the doors and air it out with the fan. That way I don't have to worry about a breeze blowing the shield gas away. I don't use the respirator when TIG welding through, as it is so clean. A basic half mask is not what I would call "expensive". $20-40 and you are good to go for welding. Not talking about powered PAPRs or anything as those are expensive.
    Your fortunate not to need at least a 1/2 mask when tig welding. Maybe I have leaned over a tig too much, after a few hours I feel irritation in my throat and had to move to a 1/2 mask. Then I started noticing same with short circuit mig. The 1/2 mask protects me well from what I assume is argon and/or c25 exposure, I like the mask in post 32, appears in the pic close quarters for under hood, but you say it works that fine with me, believe I will try one. All stick outside if weather permits.

    Getting kinda long in the tooth, just do desk top jobs now AND at my leisure.

    Correction, I meant post 30. We are north 75 so four figure system not practical.
    Last edited by geezer; 05-28-2022 at 08:40 PM. Reason: correct content
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,657,037,481.95966 seconds with 15 queries