Thread: Small AC/DC TIG welder

Post Thanks / Like

Small AC/DC TIG welder

I landed a side gig that consists of welding 6061 .028" wall 2" tube and plate. I also have have to tig very thin SS plate to tube. I usually run A/C 40 amps, 150pps, heavy dig, 15 scfh, sharp 3/32 red, #5 nozzle, 5/16" stickout, 4043" 1/16" filler on a Lincoln square wave tig 200. It's a tricky start, but flows pretty nice afterwards.
    While the welder is plenty capable, it's a F'n gas hog. You have no control of post-flow and that's the reason why I'm in the market for another TIG.
    I would like to stick with a miller or lincoln because of ease of local part sourcing if something breaks down. The Diversion 180 looks like it's missing a few tuning options. The Dynasty 210 DX is cool for people with more money that me.
    Are there older 208v machines that could fit the bill?

The photo is some of the easier parts I weld.
    Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  84.8 KB
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small AC/DC TIG welder

Try looking for a used Miller Synchrowave. They're good reliable machines, you just need to have the space for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Try looking for a used Miller Synchrowave. They're good reliable machines, you just need to have the space for it.
    there's a 250 for sale on the site i believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    there's a 250 for sale on the site i believe

yer I saw that, been sittin for ten years and unknown condition. Might have been chewed out by rats by now. I think the OP needs a certain starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Certainly a good machine, but I doubt it qualifies as a "small" machine given the thread title.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brainfarth View Post
    I would like to stick with a miller or lincoln because of ease of local part sourcing if something breaks down. The Diversion 180 looks like it's missing a few tuning options. The Dynasty 210 DX is cool for people with more money that me.
    Are there older 208v machines that could fit the bill?
    I can't think of an older, small, AC/DC TIG from Miller or Lincoln that would really fit the bill. You could buy two Primeweld 225X for under $2K and have backup in case one fails!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Syncrowaves, but they are too large of a machine for what I'm doing and where it has to fit. I guess doubling up on cheap welders could be an option. Does anyone have high production time on one? Will they convert over to WP-9 torch heads easily?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a red or blue machine, however an Everlast 255EXT would serve you well.
    Millermatic 255
    Dynasty 280 DX
    Ready Welder I
    Hypertherm 30XP

Post Thanks / Like

The Miller 200 dynasty's rock! If you buy one used that would be great or a new 210. But the new ones are spendy!
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

If I were doing production welding and a high quality machine were warranted fitting your criteria of AC TIG, runs on 208, and is small - the HTP 221 would be where I would focus:
    https://usaweld.com/collections/htp-...age-air-cooled

The above is a dual voltage - it will run on 120v. They have a single voltage (208-240 range) option that is less expensive, also.

If I had the money I'd go up to the single phase 301 or dual single/3-phase 313. If you have consistent access to 208-240 that is the place to be. Though, lighter welding on 120v can be handy at times. I've had voltage issues there with the load demand of welding before, though, so I tend to stay away from 120v myself, unless I have to.

The Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT was mentioned earlier. I've had my eye on those for a couple years. I have a PowerArc 210STL that is my portable welder right now (DC stick/TIG, but I've only run stick with it thus far - have a bunch of TIG stuff, pedal, etc just need gas). The 210 has, so far, worked fine. Because of the features and price point of the 255EXT it looks appealing. However, I am not sure I want to get in to that investment with an Everlast yet. I have not had an issue that needed their support but I have my concerns should that need arise. That could leave a pretty bad taste in ones' mouth - look around on the forums for others' experiences and you may find similar thoughts from some that have been through it. Though, there are also some that have had decent luck (albeit, that took time) with Everlast's support. In a production environment "taking time" to resolve an issue isn't an option, though.
    Last edited by FlyFishn; 05-08-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Both the EverLast 255EXT and a HTP PP 220MTS, couldn't be happier with them