+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 256 mig welder

Post Thanks / Like

256 mig welder

I have a 256 mig welder and want to carry 2 bottles, 1 a mix and the other argon. They sell a 2 bottle addition to the back of the machine but it is over $400 and doesn't have hangers for the steel and spool guns. I can build a cart easy enough but it looks like the present 1 bottle extension is an integral part of the base of the machine. I can not find detailed instructions showing how this 2 bottle accessory mounts. This would give me an idea on the base is assembled. In the end I can cut the present bottle perch off with a zip wheel and set the machine in my cart. I trying to do it a little cleaner and determine how the base is assembled
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 256 mig welder

I don't have one but it looks like it may sit in/on the single cylinder tray. I see it has new axles for the rear wheels suggesting that the wheels need to be moved and are also wider for stability.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I was thinking. But I can't determine how the accessory, 2 bottle piece attaches because the initial tray with the 1 bottle perch appears to be a part of the single factory tray. It already has a large wheel system. Putting new wheels with outrigger mounts is easy enough, as is taking a zip wheel to the factory tray to fit into the new cart. I just can not find any mounting instructions for the accessory. That instruction would help clarify. I like clarity before I attack anything a 4" death wheel

Post Thanks / Like

hard to visualize without a photo but is there anyway you can just mount a bigger tray on top of the single bottle one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

actually I'm building a cart right now. Here are a few photos of the two bottle tray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

The manual says "Simple installation and
    easy instructions provided." That description suggests, to me, that there is no need to cut anything off. It looks like the box at the bottom goes over the single cylinder mount. Maybe attaches via the original wheel axles??
    https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/Products/k1702-1 $667 in Canada.

One reviewer on e-bay said it takes up a lot of room. I wonder if that means it makes the footprint longer as well as wider.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

New machine always seems to require a new/custom cart right? Adding the 2nd bottle for an aluminum spool gun now requires a perch to hang the hoses and guns. and it is much cheaper to build a new cart than buy a new piece from Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist