Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I desire to understand what rod is best for what application

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I desire to understand what rod is best for what application

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Do have the link uou can post

Thank you 😊
    Dave
    It took me less than 30 seconds of searching to find this site where it can be downloaded:

Here's my search page (one of many terms I could have used):

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    It took me less than 30 seconds of searching to find this site where it can be downloaded:
    Here's my search page (one of many terms I could have used):
    Yes, that is one source but Scribd wants you to sign up - I skipped that one and went to the next.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
    Yes, that is one source but Scribd wants you to sign up - I skipped that one and went to the next.

Jack
    My point was that it's an easy task that anyone can do; FWIW, that was just one of a number my (posted) search found. Nevertheless, I have occasionally used Scribd without signing up; it would have let me this time too.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    I have hard copy of Lincoln book and just want to compare the two books 📚.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Horses for courses.

the AWS 60XX 70XX specification is nothing more than a minimum set of standards to group a type of electrode. You have to go to the manufacturer, or have and understand the manufacturer's data on a given rod to find out what it's specified for.

According to Nihon Weld and Miller, the 6012 is useful for bridging gaps, or where fit up is poor, compared to 6011 or 6013. It's not as simple as deep or shallow penetration.

If you just take the 7016 lo-hy rod, from Kobe Steel, there are eleven....yes eleven...different rods that meet AWS A5.5 E7016.

For instance, Kobe CM-A76 and Kobe NB-3J. Both meet AWS A5.5 E7016, in that their minimum tensile is 70,000 psi, all position, and low hydrogen potassium flux. However, one is for high temperature environments, and the other for cold. CM-A76 has an impact value (IV) of 210 (J) at 0C, and is used for welding .5% Mo steel used in high temperature boilers, pertochemical equipment, etc. NB-3J has an IV of 170 (J) at -85C, or 100C when heat treated. It has 3.5% Ni, and is used in Ethelene production equipment.

While you could use either rod for something structural requiring a "7016" rod, one will excel over the other in different environments. Simple "7016" doesn't tell you the composition of the weld metal.

There are also E11016 and 18 rods. If you're going to weld a 760MPa steel, you're probably not going to do it with a 420MPa rod.

Thin and thick coatings? Again, depends on the purpose of the rod. Kobe steel has three different rods that meet AWS A5.1 6013. All are typical Titania flux, but one (RB-26) has a very thin flux covering. It's designated a "fast freeze" rod and specified for welding down hill. While people say "You can weld downhill with any 6013," can doesn't mean you should, nor that the rod is designed to do it. In this case, the manufacturer specifies it as such, where the other two rods are all-position, vertical up only.

HTH
    Panasonic YC-300BP2
    Panasonic YC-200BL3
    Suzukid Arcway 180
    Lincoln Idealarc R3R-400
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Everlast Power i-MIG 230i
    Everlast PowerArc 300ST
    Denyo DLW-400LSW
    ...and other assorted garbage